UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wizard World New Orleans

Shanester

No, I don't think so. I have been fascinated by Wizard's "franchising" thought. They had 4 cons for the longest time, then bumped it up to 5, then 2 last year. Now I believe they have 15 announced. They're going for more local venues I think. I'll be trying Austin next month and let you know what I think.

Wow, I thought they were pulling back, not adding to their con schedule. Wizard, as you all may or may not know, has been going broke for several years now, and a lot of the cons that they've done (LA, Boston) were less then successful. But I think it's a good idea to have semi-big cons in as many cities as possible, as long as they don't step on the toes of established independent cons, like WonderCon or DragonCon.

You know, I always thought a chain of Wizard World stores, where you could get all this nerd crap we like, would be a good idea. But I'm probably wrong....

Anyone going to come? The event is scheduled for January 29-30, 2011. Seems like a late announcement, but I'll be there.

Hmm Wizard shows are usually hugely underwhelming... the last time I did the LA one I was there for a total of about 30 minutes before deciding I'd have more fun beating the traffic on the way home.

I doubt I could get time off or afford flights etc right now but just in case can I reserve a spot on your couch Shane? ;)

T.

I've been going to WW Chicago since 2007 and every year it get's progressively worse. I'm not going next year, and there's no reason for me to go since I have to drive a 12 hr commute there and back.

This past time in August I was there for about an hour, and that was it. All i did was walk through the dealer section and artists alley. Artists alley was always my favorite part, but even this time it was terrible. There was no major comic company presence like past years, overall it was just depressing.

I doubt I could get time off or afford flights etc right now but just in case can I reserve a spot on your couch Shane? ;)

T.

Mate, if you guys ever come down, we'll put you up for sure.

According to an article I read about a year ago, Wizard lost money on most of the Cons except Chicago. I am no fan of Wizard and avoid the entity as much as I can. I have seen some shady dealings out of their group. However, I have always thought NOLA would be a good place for a large event such as this, so I must support it. It has to be better than WW Dallas. That was depressing. I have always enjoyed SDCC, but it has gotten too big for the city IMO. $400 a night for a hotel room is f-ing ridiculous.