UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dyeing Minimate Plastic?.....

BrobotC

wow I can't remember who dit but some one did do a pantone project with dyed clear blanks in a lit box and it looked great maybe Ivan or boyd i really cant think of it at the moment but its a stunning piece.

It looks pretty good when it's done BUT - many of the minimates seem to use different types of plastic for different parts. You may find that if you dye the whole thing at once, the legs & arms are a slightly lighter shade than the torso block. So, you may have to re-dye some parts, or die them longer than the rest?

Or i could be totally imagining that.

Either way - let us know how it goes and be sure to post some pics!

Good memory Nessex. :) Here's the relevant paragraph from my Pantone post (thanks to blacksun1520 for linking it):

Next came the coloring process. I remember people using Rit dye to color transparent plastic on Xevoz parts and found that it worked with Minimates as well. The only problem is that these transparent Minimates are made of two different kinds of plastic and they took the dye at different rates. Some parts would have to be in the dye longer than others. After some experimentation I came out with these:

I hope to revisit this project soon and replace some of the greens. Of course that all depends on whether the 'Active Camo' Halo Minimate has a full transparent base underneath all that armor.