UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates that may never be...

MST3KFan

Marvel versions of Conan and Kull the conquerer.

The thread title is a classic for a start ....."may never be" :rolleyes: .......it will either 'never be' or 'will be' ....oh whatever!

Conan will 'never be' because Marvel no longer has the licence. He may well become a Minimate but he'll be a 'Dark Horse' line Minimate .......unless of course Marvel get the licence back, which technically means that he may become a Marvel Minimate. Using that argument then anything could become a Marvel Minimate which completely negates the argument that there could possibly be anything that couldn't become a Marvel Minimate.

Maybe :biggrin:

Spiderman, IronMan or Wolverine ;)

Ok so seriously ROM is never going to happen, I've asked chuck about it every year since I started collecting and always get laughed at when I ask, apparently he's one of those licensing nightmare characters.

T.

Rom was a toy created by... Parker Brothers? They basically approached Marvel about creating the backstory and doing the tie-in comic. The toy was a flop, the comic wasn't (and it's probably the single most underrated Marvel comic ever) but eventually the license lapsed. I think Marvel could probably buy the rights to Rom outright (it's not like Parker Brothers, or whomever owns the rights, is doing anything with them), but I guess it's not worth their while financially. Really a shame.

I seem to remember reading that marvel has made efforts to buy these rights outright and has been snubbed at every turn. even to the point where a "spaceknights" comic (shortlived I dont think it made 6 issues) marvel put out in the 90's I think couldnt use the name ROM anywhere in the book even though the rom character was used, they had him in a human form and he used the title of Prime Director in that appearance. It really is the most under rated book Marvel has put out a solid storyline through out the entire run.

Edited by BannersID

Rom

Howard the Duck

Deaths Head (I or II)

M.O.D.O.K

I think the Rom story is more complicated than Marvel just not buying the rights. I wish we could find some definitive info about this as it pops up all the time on various message boards. Rick Marshall over at MTV Splash page is a huge Rom fan maybe if we all blast him with the request we could get them to do an article about it?

I think we'll see a MODOK. He's too important. I agree about DH though, which is a crying shame.

Fing Fang Foom.

If we did get MODOK and they did him properly, then we wouldn't see him in a standard release, since the box would have to be bigger to accommodate him. It would have to be something like the Ray & Slimer 2-pack that was released at a con with the that trap accessory. I could be wrong, but it does seem like extra money would have to be invested in that one set for all the molded plastic, the change in packaging size, the change in case size, etc. You'd likely get the worst part reuse wave ever to make up for it, or worse, six other figures that are just blank Minimates painted up like characters with no extra parts or accessories.

The thread title is a classic for a start ....."may never be" :rolleyes: .......it will either 'never be' or 'will be' ....oh whatever!

Conan will 'never be' because Marvel no longer has the licence. He may well become a Minimate but he'll be a 'Dark Horse' line Minimate .......unless of course Marvel get the licence back, which technically means that he may become a Marvel Minimate. Using that argument then anything could become a Marvel Minimate which completely negates the argument that there could possibly be anything that couldn't become a Marvel Minimate.

Ever the nitpicker BHM. Sheesh! ;) Okay... how's about Forbush Man? Are we good now?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Ever the nitpicker BHM. Sheesh! ;) Okay... how's about Forbush Man? Are we good now?

Forbush Man is great! I made a quick custom with existing parts (Thank you, Ma Hunkel!). I'd love a minimate of him! It'd be hilarious!

Dio, that sounds like a challenge. Also, his cape is 100% useless with that design. It's like one of his kids put it in the paper shredder.

I've been giving ROM a lot of thought... yeah, I know they can't do this one (or Starshine, or Firefall with reversible head - one side Karas, one side Archie Stryker), and I don't want to turn this to a customizing thread, but has anyone seen anything out there that would reasonable pass for a Nuetralizer?

Just.... wondering....

I've been giving ROM a lot of thought... yeah, I know they can't do this one (or Starshine, or Firefall with reversible head - one side Karas, one side Archie Stryker), and I don't want to turn this to a customizing thread, but has anyone seen anything out there that would reasonable pass for a Nuetralizer?

Just.... wondering....

I donno... a little epoxy sculpt and you could easily make one from an existing gun. I would gladly pay for Rom decals. Funny thing is Rom already had the hands of a Minimate...

We'll never see Sinister, because they'll never be able to figure out how to do his cape.
Say wha?

Look how small the tatters are. I bet they couldn't pull it off.

Oh, i'm familiar with his cape. . . i'm just bummed that it's a possibility that sinister wont get made :(

I think his cape could be made - it would just be as one piece with lots of sculptural detail, rather than all the individual ribbons.

Kind of like the 90's ToyBiz figure was . . .

post-2737-1286702442_thumb.jpg

We'll never see Sinister, because they'll never be able to figure out how to do his cape.
Say wha?

Look how small the tatters are. I bet they couldn't pull it off.

Oh, i'm familiar with his cape. . . i'm just bummed that it's a possibility that sinister wont get made :(

I think his cape could be made - it would just be as one piece with lots of sculptural detail, rather than all the individual ribbons.

Kind of like the 90's ToyBiz figure was . . .

post-2737-1286702442_thumb.jpg

That's pretty cool. I think I could settle for that on a Minimate.