UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No Kitchen For Old Men - HALLOWEEN!

Bob Harris

Self-advertisment galore!

I already mentioned it somewhere before: a friend of mine and I are hosting an extraordinary cooking blog called "No Kitchen For Old Men". (Awesome title, isn't it? Yeah, we know! :geek: ) The extraordinary thing is, we're doing videos with popcultural references while preparing the food.

Bad thing is, it's in German. Good thing is, we're doing subtitles!!!

So, if I'm allowed and there's interest, I'll proudly present our videos with English subtitles in this thread. We'd LOVE to get some comments - on youtube - or even, if you 'dare' in our blog. Feel free to leave a note. :)

There's more than 'just' the videos, but everything else is in German and we won't do translations in generall. The videos' hosts are Jim & George. The character called Jim - the friend of mine - is more the professional cook and a sports-fan. Soccer, of course. The other guy - George - is his geeky vegetarian sidekick, played by me. Most of it is completely ad-lib, working with a very rough script. And it's totally do-it-yourself style. Just a simple camcorder. Regarding the food: we're cooking and baking easy to do, not that expensive and quick prepared stuff. Things we both love to eat.

Feel free to ask questions in case you want to cook the stuff and need more detailed info on it.

Hope you like it. :)

PS.: We'd love to have you as facebook friends, so feel free to like us. (We LOVE to be liked ;))

PPS: Yes, there will be minimates involved. Soonish.

PPPS: Sorry for the tilte, BHM, but you're very, very welcome. ;)

Edited by Bob Harris

Episode 4: Where George might get beat up pretty bad.

Why not do it like Lucas and start right in the middle of it? In this episode Jim & George prepare four different pasta sauces. Italian stlye. You can see the original post here, but besides looking at the nice pictures, you might not understand a word. Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Hope you'll get the little references. ;)

Ingredients (servings: 2-3): (Sorry for the metric quantities, I'm really bad in converting it. These guys aren't.)

"Cinque Pi":

250 g Pasta

1 tablespoons tomato purree (Pomodoro)

200 ml cream (Panna)

2 handfulls grated Parmesan cheese (Parmegiano)

1 handfull parsley (Prezzemolo)

pepper (Pepe)

dash grated nutmeg (aka Nice Guy Eddie)

salt

"Spaghetti carbonara":

250 g Spaghetti

3 egg yolks

150 ml cream

1 handfull grated Parmesan cheese

2 slices bacon

olive oil

pepper

chives

nutmeg

"Aglio E Olio"

250 g Spaghetti

50 ml oliveoil

2 garlicglove

1 small chillie

basil

salt & pepper

"Fettuccine Alfredo"

250 g Fettuccine

50 g butter

200 ml cream

2 handfull grated Parmesan cheese

pepper

Edited by Bob Harris

• 4 weeks later...

Episode 5: Where George rides a real DeLorean!!!

I just give it a try, even though nobody did comment last time, a lot of people seemed to watch that last episode of our show. Thanks. This time we're preparing the New Zealand national dish, Pavlova. There are some folks from Oz claiming it's their invention. I don't know.

Ingredients

4 egg whites

200g sugar

salt

1 TS vinegar

1 TS starch

250ml cream

fresh mint leaves

1 TS mint syrup

My late mother was a brilliant cook & this was a speciality of hers . Most people would probably relate to this being very similar to Meringue although I believe the difference is the fact that Pavlova is hard on the outside & soft within....again very much like my mother ;) I thought that the New Zealand national dish was either eating French people or Rachel Hunter. For the record there no known useful Australian invention apart from 'bowling under-arm in Cricket'* which is perhaps the finest method of shutting up verbose Australians in a pub :D

I don't recall the 'mint' being as apparent in my mum's Pavlova but this of course isn't about my mum it's about your recipe & I'll have a go with it in due course.

* Well worth Googling ......'Bowling under-arm 1981' & perhaps 'Pavlova' who was I believe a Russian Ballet Dancer (?).

@BHM: I was surprised Pavlova was one of your mother's desserts. I haven't heared of it before my girlfriend came back from New Zealand. And the special thing with it is exactly as you described: Pavlova is hard on the outside and soft in the center. It's a great thing! And you are also right by pointing out your mother never added mint to it. That was something my friend wanted to add. He's just like this. And thanks for the rugby, erm, things. ;)

@BS: Glad you like it!

@Shane: Good thing is, with the English subtitles you can teach yourself German by just watching the video! Isn't that great? Anyway, here's a first lesson: instead of saying 'dear Bob Harris' you can use the German translation of it: 'Euer Majestaet Bob Harris'. If you like, you can use this from now on whenever you talk to me. :ermm::P

@Shane: Good thing is, with the English subtitles you can teach yourself German by just watching the video! Isn't that great? Anyway, here's a first lesson: instead of saying 'dear Bob Harris' you can use the German translation of it: 'Euer Majestaet Bob Harris'. If you like, you can use this from now on whenever you talk to me. :ermm::P

I don't even speak German and I get that little joke. Nice try [sarcasm] your majesty [/sarcasm], but German shares too many similarities with English that I can often read some and get the point. Oddly enough. Gotta love being on the same branch of the Language Tree.

• 1 month later...

Episode 9: Halloween!!!

Thanks for the comments, folks! Although this is a little late, here's our halloween-special! It took some time to do the subtitls, but maybe you enjoy it.

Ingredients

1/2 Hokkaido-pumpkin (ca. 500 g)

1 leek

1 carrot

1 parsley root

1 onion

1 garlic glove

1 piece of ginger

1 apple

1 l vegetable stock

250 ml cream

1 tsp curry