UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Civilization V

Jatta Pake

If I could only play one video or PC game for the rest of my life, it would be Civilization. I've been playing versions of the game since it hit the scene in 1991. I've even played insanely modified versions of Civ 4 built by fans. It is hands down, my favorite electronic game, nay, my favorite game. Yes, I would even place it ahead of my beloved board games.

Civilization 5 hits stores September 21st. Reviews are hitting the internet, and I can't wait.

Any other Civ fans on the multiverse?

"just one more turn..."

My name is TBT and I was a reformed Civ-holic...

I'd been clean for nearly 2 yrs...

But the timing of this thread is worrying... I just (after losing my disks in amove some time back re-)ordered the complete Civ4 edition from amazon this morning...

Specs for the Civ-5 have been published and I think it's a blessing that I don't think I have a pc with enough zip to run it properly... and yes I've considered building a new PC just for it ( ok and to also play TW:empire)

T.

Never played it, but if there is only one PC game I could play for the rest of my life, it would be Ski Free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACwPlrGIGg...feature=related

Damn that yeti. Damn him forever.

Well I actually haven't played Civilization in forever. I got the CivRev game for the iPhone because it was the Free App of the Day but haven't touched it. Played Civ 2. But I'm not a turn based fan so really it wasn't my cup of tea.

Yet I still played the damn thing for about 3 months. Shows its quality.

I fell out of love after Civ3. No particular reason except I was spending waaaaaay too much time playing it. Literally days at a time. It was depressing.

I may try again when Civ 5 comes out. It is a great game.

Civilization - The original classic.

Civilization 2 - A perfect game made even more perfect. Isometric view. Military units were streamlined and improved.

Civilization 3 - Culture! Loved the addition of borders, hated conquest by culture. I really loved the new play options like kill the King. Still, it felt like a clumsy attempt to counter the warmongering of Civ 2. But turning "culture" into a weapon doesn't really make it an un-violent tool of conquest.

Civilization 4 - Religion! Strangely incorporates many features from a competing and short lived Civ series from the 90s called "Call To Power". I found myself playing this version the least. Despite expansion packs, it always felt like it was missing something. I hated the whole Colony aspect. Again, it felt like a further clumsy attempt to counter warmongering from previous versions.

Civ 5 - Hex!

Civilization 5 is noted for some fairly fundamental changes from the previous incarnations. The square space tile map layout is dumped for the tabletop wargame hex pattern. This seems to dovetail with a more military bent. Some Civ fans are complaining about it being "dumbed down" and turned into a more fundamental war game. If so, I say "Bravo".

The reviews I'm reading seem to point that Civ 5 is looking back towards the success of Civ 2. It picks and chooses some desired features from Civ 3 and Civ 4, but focuses on the adrenaline rush of combat a la Civ 2. I hope it lives up to the hype.