UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What buildings do you use?

Just wondering what buildings you folks might use for diorama/displays of your 'mates? I have a few things for 1/32-54mm plastic soldiers, which should be pretty decent and plentiful out there. I read something about older Imaginext? Anything else that works particularly well?

Lego/MegaBloks are popular due to the compatibility with Minimate feet.

Have you discovered the joy that is Bricklink.com? :)

If not, think of it as an online flea market for buying individual Lego pieces from individual sellers.

I know that a lot of members have picked up 1/18 and 1/25 scale models of the DeLorean from Back to the Future and the Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters to go along with their 'mates.

A bunch of good building ideas can be found in the Minimate compatibility thread if you trawl enough of the pages. I managed to find a Heroscape set myself, and surprisingly it does work pretty great:

DSC07161.jpg

As always, the old C3 stuff is a good go-to for mate buildings... provided you can actually find/assemble enough of them. ;)

DSC07162.jpg

Could we see pics of your:

few things for 1/32-54mm plastic soldiers, which should be pretty decent and plentiful out there

...please? :)

No problem! Here are a couple western theme buildings I had that I want to use with some Old West style figures in a small story at some point. If you like the scale, look for 1/32 or 54mm playsets you can find a lot of stuff of use.

post-3660-1277994814_thumb.jpg

post-3660-1277994856_thumb.jpg

post-3660-1277994893_thumb.jpg

post-3660-1277994928_thumb.jpg

post-3660-1277994990_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have been considering using a few displays from Dioramas Plus, they are 1:35 scale which should be okay in line with Minimates.

Does anyone have any experience with how something like this looks with mates?

dioramasplus-0141.jpg

dp2.jpg

DP5.jpg

I've seen a bunch of those on eBay but was concerned about the price. 1:35 sounds just about right for Minimate scale though. (I think TBT or somebody gave a more accurate scale number in a post a while back, just can't remember which thread it was in.)

Do we have any miniature diorama hobbyists in the house? Maybe we can find someone to weigh on how Minimates look on one of those. I actually quite like the detail on these!

I've been considering these for my 1;35 Maschinen Krieger figures & I concluded that they'd be perfect but I'll state the obvious for those who might not realise....these are kits & need to be painted...just saying!

The trouble with non-block (not lego) dioramas is that (IMO) they expose the frailties of some of the earlier Minimates whose comparitively simplistic design makes them look odd.