UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

E3 2010

So far, I'm OK with it. MS had the first major conference and there were good and bad. I am more looking forward to Sony and Nintendo though, because I feel they have the most to prove. Here are my thoughts on the MS Press:

Pros:

+ESPN Free Live Streaming to Gold Members (MY FAVORITE!!)

+Call of Duty Black Ops

+Fable III

+Metal Gear Rising

+Kinect Interface (Choosing options from your dashboard with just your hand and voice is AMAZING!!)

Cons:

-Gears 3.....I'm sorry, it's just the same...the same...

-New Dashboard Features?? (ESPN yes, but what about TV or Hulu or YouTube)

-Everything else about Kinect

I have to say the live Demo of Kinect playing movies and music and logging you in is all super cool. But the games were a completely joke. The only one that I will ever invest in is going to be Kinectimals (like Nintendogs for 360) and that's only because my Daughter is going to LOVE that game. I was totally let down by the games shown on Kinect and have ZERO interest in playing games with it now or probably ever......but again, the interface stuff is super sweet!!

Let's hope Sony and Nintendo bring the big guns!

I found Microsoft's whole presentation as a bit of a letdown to me. The whole motion controller (or lack of controller) thing is lost on me, as I play my games as a way of relaxing as opposed to having to do all the running, jumping, crouching, etc for my characters. Of course, they didn't show much of that, but instead showed off a bunch of Wii games, which interest me even less. The Star Wars game almost looked interesting, but then the first look we got was an actor trying to mimic the movements of the pre-recorded gameplay video a second after it happened onscreen (which doesn't speak very highly of how well this thing will work), and then the gameplay video looked like a rail shooter with about 4 moves for your jedi.

I don't really follow sports, so the exclusive ESPN thing does not concern me at all.

A bunch of games were paraded out, about half of which aren't even exclusive to the 360.

Then there's the rest of Kinnect. It looks pretty cool, but I'd have to see it work before I'm sold on how well the hand gestures and voice recognition work. I can see it being useful to simply tell it you want to listen to a certain song or watch a certain show as opposed to sorting through playlists or video files, but if you have to yell at the TV several times to get the right selection, then that's not overly impressive. And I don't see it being overly inconvenient to press the pause, since I generally keep the remote somewhere near where I'm sitting. Fast forwarding and rewinding seem like it might actually be more of a pain this way, depending on how the thing interprets gestures and just how exact it can be when you're trying to inch the movie forward or backwards a few seconds.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I'm excited. Now don't go jumping all over me for the whole "It's the same game every time!" stuff. Thing is, I happen to LIKE that same game. So any excuse to do it again...

The Yarn Kirby one does not have me convinced that it's worth half a rat's posterior. Sure it's Kirby but... YARN!?!?!?!?

However one release that surprises me is the GoldenEye remake. Nifty. Dunno if it'll be worth a flip. But nifty nonetheless. I'll probably be staying with my N64 version personally.

Kid Icarus returns? Sweet. I'll probably play it.

Everything else? 3DS? I have to see it to believe it myself.

Portal 2 on PS3, with some kind of Steam support or something. I'll probably still get it on PC (wonder if it'll support Move on PS3?), but I'm glad to see Gabe Newell changing his mind about Sony. Or at least opening his wallet, if not his heart, to them.

3D, like the motion stuff, is lost on me. I saw in the discussions on Kotaku that Nintendo and Sony fans are at each others' throats over who has the better 3D. The Nintendo doesn't need glasses, but you have to have the screen a specific distance from your face and pointed specifically, whereas Sony does need glasses, but you can sit anywhere in the room.

Overall, E3 hasn't wowed me much.

Ah, today was a better day. Not excited at all about anything Sony had to say, but Little Big Planet 2 and InFamous 2 will both be excellent games.

Nintendo on the other hand COMPLETELY BLEW ME AWAY!! And that's suprising for as bad as they have been for so long now. New Kirby, New Donkey Kong, New Zelda, New Icarus, New Golden Sun.......Seriously, I just said all of that!! More importantly, the 3DS is FLIPPING AMAZING! Dang, I can't wait to get my hands on that thing. And honestly, I'm less interested in the 3D as opposed to the Widescreen, graphical machine that it's going to be. Kid Icarus looked FANTASTIC! Even in Trailer form, it looked better than most Wii games that I've seen. Plus they have confirmed they are Re-Making Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 for the 3DS. Seriously, they can just cut the 3D out completely and give me a sweeter, more powerful DS with those games and I'd be happy!!! I honestly didn't think Nintendo had it in them, but I was impressed! neo

Ah, today was a better day. Not excited at all about anything Sony had to say, but Little Big Planet 2 and InFamous 2 will both be excellent games.

Nintendo on the other hand COMPLETELY BLEW ME AWAY!! And that's suprising for as bad as they have been for so long now. New Kirby, New Donkey Kong, New Zelda, New Icarus, New Golden Sun.......Seriously, I just said all of that!! More importantly, the 3DS is FLIPPING AMAZING! Dang, I can't wait to get my hands on that thing. And honestly, I'm less interested in the 3D as opposed to the Widescreen, graphical machine that it's going to be. Kid Icarus looked FANTASTIC! Even in Trailer form, it looked better than most Wii games that I've seen. Plus they have confirmed they are Re-Making Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 for the 3DS. Seriously, they can just cut the 3D out completely and give me a sweeter, more powerful DS with those games and I'd be happy!!! I honestly didn't think Nintendo had it in them, but I was impressed! neo

Ocarina remake!?!? How the hell did I miss THAT tidbit. I got Star Fox but Ocarina? YEAH!!!

Now the 3DS is a must have for me.

WOOHOO TWISTED METAL 2 WITH HELICOPTERS BOO YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nintendo 3ds well is very very intresting with the amazing game choices,but after that,what is gonna happen?You guessed it,MINIGAMES!

Psp camera,intresting

PSN+ four free games{1 playstation 3 game,2 mini's and 1 psn game}That is $30+ every month.Plus you get early acess to every thing.And ITS ONLY $18 FOR 3 MONTHS!$39.99 FOR A YEAR!THAT IS AWESOME!

other cool things are battlefield bad company 2 vietnam,marvel vs capcom 3 looks fun,Kid icarus well I want it!Hopefully it was also be for ds lite.

OH YEAH AND PS MOVE,THE THING THAT WAS ABOUT 30 MINUTES OF THE SONY PRESENTATION :confused:$100 FOR A CONTROLLER,EYE AND A GAME?THAT IS CRAZY!IT SHOULD BE $60 OR AT LEAST BE $100 BUT WITH ANOTHER MOVE CONTROLLER AND NUMCHUCK OH I MEAN NAVAGATOR THINGY{caps used for more expression}IN my opinion move is gonna flop and is gonna be collecting dust after like 3 months.

Funny how nintendo had the best presentation.

EDIT:for infamous 2 was that cole?some people say it is but this new guy has hair.LOL that is the best way to compair 2 people!The new guy also looked young.I really want to see more footage of infamous 2

Edited by darkredshdow

so i just finished watching the day 2 press conferances on my dvr and first of all sony won. nintendo's presentation was slow and sloppy sony's kicked ass. thoughts on games

infamous 2 looks awsome like the idea of ice powers(i am sad that they changed cole so much(that is cole) and that they changed the voice actor)

LITTLE BIG PLANET 2 FTW tthat tiny 5 min section stole the show best thing ever cant wait for thei half hour spot tomorrow.

killzone 3 looks good i might check it out

starwars old republic i was sooooooooooooooo disappointed i was hoping for so much more in the graphics

force unleashed 2 havent seen anything on this yet but i am hopeful

marvel vs capcom 3 AWSOME DEADPOOL WILL OWN

spiderman shattered dimension 2099 looks good nice announcement on the ironspider deal

dc universe online I AM SO HAPPY THIS WILL BE FOR PS3

these are my thoughts so far

nintendo 3ds well would have been ok if I liked the games...

Not even an Ocarina remake? Ocarina of Time. In your Pocket. Available to play at any time. In 3D.

I think I am in love.

Edited by Trekker 42

whoa whoa new kirby? and new dk?

could the wii finally be used for something than a nice dust collector!

oh and LBP2 will be epic beyond believe

as for MVC3 saw it coming, of course deadpool is in it <_< , also no FF, sigh, guess you don't need em when you got a super skrull in the game, but still a mr.fantastic would have been the cats pjs!

heres hoping for a silver surfer with a summoning galactus special

Edited by SErge

just watched the second spot on lbp2 and it still looks AMAZING they showed a lot of the new costumes but im still waiting for that marvel dlc reveal

They've got a 30 minute thing today at 11 PST, so maybe they'll mention it then. If they're coming this month, I'd expect them to announce it soon.

MGS3, Res evil, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and others on the 3DS. Will have to buy, though I'm no fan of the 3D gimmick.

Thankfully you can turn it off. Unless it's totally kickass I don't plan on using the 3D much.

Not even an Ocarina remake? Ocarina of Time. In your Pocket. Available to play at any time. In 3D.

I think I am in love.

Seriously, how can you say you don't like the games. Do you even know what they announced?!?!

-Kid Icarus Uprising

icarus.th.jpg

-Mario Kart 3D

mariokartd.th.jpg

-Star Fox 64, Remade in 3D

starfox.th.jpg

-Ocarina of Time, remade in 3D

ocarina.th.jpg

-Kingdom Hearts

kingdomheartsh.th.jpg

-Metal Gear

metalgear.th.jpg

-Pilot Wings, Brand new game in 3D

pilotwings.th.jpg

-Nintendogs + Cats

nintendogs.th.jpg

-Street Fighter IV

streetfightersm.th.jpg

-Paper Mario

papermario.th.jpg

-Animal Crossing

-Rock Band

-DJ Hero

**All images courtesy of IGN

Seriously.......that's enough to make my head explode!! By far this is the best announcement of the conference!! neo

It looks 3-D, even though it isn't. Even the older ones had shadows and dimensions that made the characters look like they weren't in a purely 2-dimensional world.

The franchises announced for the 3DS are extremely enticing to me, though I do wish there were more originals alongside the rehashes.

Edited by karamazov80

It looks 3-D, even though it isn't. Even the older ones had shadows and dimensions that made the characters look like they weren't in a purely 2-dimensional world.

The franchises announced for the 3DS are extremely enticing to me, though I do wish there were more originals alongside the rehashes.

While I agree with this generally, the "rehashes" as you put it are not only being polished for the new system but are also adding 3D. This isn't like the DS release of Mario 64. They have polished all of the games with updated visuals AND added 3D capability. No matter how many times I've played Metal Gear 3 or Star Fox or Ocarina, playing it again in 3D will be a completely new experience.

Outside of that you have a good mix of new games. Kid Icarus being the top. But Kingdom Hearts appears to be a new game. Pilot Wings is completely new, taking place on Wii Resort Island.

But, in the end, we are dealing with Nintendo so we are going to get sequels that everyone knows. Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing.....and that's OK, because there will never be any better software support for a system than Nintendo's own 1st party stuff.

I'm actually suprised I seem to be the only one this excited. I've talked to a friend that was at the show and he's played the system and he says IT WORKS. He said it was the first time, in a long time, that he's looked at something and went "NO WAY"! He was a huge skeptic heading out to the show and now he can't stop talking about it. That is enough for me to jump on board. I simply cannot wait. There is nothing else at the top of my list. The 3DS has actually overtaken the iPhone 4 as my most wanted item right now. Here's hoping we don't have to wait unil NEXT holiday. neo

In general, I'm just not impressed with 3-D gimmickry. My brain only tends to process this stuff for maybe 15-20 minutes before I don't even notice it anymore. And if anything, it gives me a headache. But who knows? Maybe this will blow all of our minds.

BTW, I think we all know what is coming, and the real reason to buy one of these systems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_%28video_game%29

Edited by karamazov80

I think I am in love.

Seriously, how can you say you don't like the games. Do you even know what they announced?!?!

-Animal Crossing

-Rock Band

-DJ Hero

**All images courtesy of IGN

Seriously.......that's enough to make my head explode!! By far this is the best announcement of the conference!! neo

:O LOL I worded it kinda wrong UPRISING,kingdom of hearts and starfox 64 look amazing!But that's just 3 games,and probbaly after those amazing games annouced at e3 come out,guess what MINIGAMES,MINIMGAMES,MINIGAMES AND EVEN MORE MINIMGAMES!So I guess its ok Edited by darkredshdow

Well, E3 is finished. I thought I'd give my last thoughts.

MS Press - C+

-Microsoft has put all of their focus on the Kinect. And, while as a company you want them to be behind their projects, this one just doesn't seem to work. The menu stuff is amazing! You walk into a room, say "Xbox On" to start your machine and then wave your hand at the screen to log your profile in. That is just amazing. However, they spent a hefty time showing games that just have NO appeal to me as a gamer whatsoever. The only game, as of now that I will spend money on is Kinectimals and that's just because my 4 year old daughter is going to LOVE that game. Still, as a gamer Kinect offers nothing to me outside of menu interface. That being said there was some good. The Black Ops and Reach Demos were cool. Fable III and Metal Gear Rising also looked great. And the inclusion of ESPN free for Gold Members was fantastic. But, in the end, with the less than average showing of Kinect, which by the way STILL doesn't have a confirmed price point, it was a poor showing by MS.

Sony Press - A-

-Sony game out this year with something to prove. With momentum on their side it was time to remind everyone that is was the Playstation the ushured in our current love for games and they still have some fight left in them. I have to say that I do love my Wii. There is a lot of shovelware on the system, but the games that do things right make it worth it. Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Warrioware are great examples of motion controls being useful and fun. And now, the Playstation Move brings a better version of the Wii Remote to an HD, 3D, ONLINE console. I can't stress enough how much I want to play Tiger Woods, in HD, with my Move. I am so much more impressed with the Move than I am Kinect. But what made Sony press so great was the constant stream of A title. Killzone 3, InFamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, Gran Turismo 5, Dead Space 2, Metal of Honor, Portal 2, Twisted Metal......This are all games that gamers want to play. They also announced several exclusives that are huge incentives to pick up Playstation versions and that is key in the console war. HOWEVER, all of that was great but there was one moment that made this press conference maybe the single best of all time.......Kevin Butler! If you don't know, that the dude from the new Playstation commercials. I will tell you what, Sony was completely off my radar until the Price Drop and new Marketing Ads with Kevin Butler started over a year ago. He gave one of the single greatest speeches I've ever heard (comical of course) and stood as living proof as to what a GREAT marketing pitch for a product can be. Honestly guys, if you didn't get the chance to watch the Press Conference, go to IGN and watch part 2 of Sony's conference, you have to see Kevin Butler!

Nintendo Press - A+

-Nintendo did the one thing this year that I thought was impossible. They catered back to the gamer and what made us play Super Mario Bros in the first place. Technology meets Game Design. HD graphics are nothing if the games designed for it suck. And Game Design doesn't mean nothing without innovation. And Nintendo set to prove they are still in the Game Making business. I would venture to say that Nintendo has never been a great home console company.....but have always been a GREAT software company. You can complain about the SD graphics of the Wii until you are blue in the face, but then you can boot up Mario Galaxy too and realize that if the game design is great, it doesn't matter what it's played on. We got a new Zelda, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby, Goldeneye, Mario Sports Mix, Metroid Other M, Disney Epic Micky, Golden Sun, and they all looked fantastic!! Factor 5 is doing the new Donkey Kong and it looked amazing, just like the Donkey Kong Country we all grew up on. Kirby, on the other hand, is a brand new take on our bouncy friend. It looks like Kirby mixed with Little Big Planet and Classic Kirby, and it all looks outstanding. The new Zelda, while the Demo was very flawed, is brand new graphics and innovation and all the floor demos say it works spot on. And then, when you had your plate full with all of these fantastic games, Nintendo slams you in the face with the 3DS. By starting with a Kid Icarus trailer that knocked my socks off. They they start spouting out games, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, etc. And, on top of that, all the reviews from the floor say the 3D works, just like Nintendo said it would. I will end like I began, saying that Nintendo, IMO, did the impossible. They reminded hardcore gamers that the best games on the market are still made by Nintnedo and can only be played on the Wii AND that Nintnedo does care about future innovations and proved it by sending their next handheld into a new dimesion!

Overall I thought the conference was one of the best in years. Final notes:

+Nintendo 3DS

+New Kirby and Donkey Kong

+Zelda: Skyward Sword

+InFamous 2

+ESPN on Xbox Live

+Halo Reach Demo, Space Battles!!

+Kevin Butler

+Twisted Metal

+Sly Cooper Collection

+Metal Gear Rising

+Call of Duty Black Ops

+New Xbox Slim

-No love for Download Games (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare, DSiWare)

-No Wii HD

-No Last Guardian

-Kinect

-Zelda Live Demo

-No Release Date for 3DS

-No Playstation 2 Downloadable Games

-Playstation Plus, not enough details, not sure what it is...

-No new Rare game that was supposed to be announced for Xbox

-No Half Life News

It really was a great show!!!

neo

Edited by neolego