UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New SDCC Set - 90's X-Men!

boyd

Just got the news from a retailer friend - Diamond will be offering an exclusive X-Men box set for San Diego:

post-66-1276036135_thumb.jpg

Battle Damaged Wolverine! Classic Bishop! Magneto in an outfit from the 80's! And Jubilee!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that Mags is from the 80s, back when he was sort of a good guy briefly. I dig him, though. My only issue with this set is Wolvie. Battle Damaged brown Wolvie?? We haven't even had a brown Wolvie since wave 8! Should have been regular brown Wolverine :(

Edited by karamazov80

hmm, i want to be excited and I will buy a set at SDCC but so far this years offerings are leaving me unenthusiastic.

Nice scoop, Boyd!

Bishop looks awesome, Jubilee looks mostly awesome (are her shades drawn on? figured they'd go with Doc Brown shades), Magneto looks like a Mexican wrestler, and to my surprise I actually really dig the Wolvie, despite my general lack of interest in battle-damaged mates. K, I agree a regular version would be better, but at the same time it's not like there's any question whatsoever that one will be released at some point...

Huh. So I guess we're not getting the rest of X-Force, then.

Yeah, these sets have left me a little cool this time around. Upon closer examination, it looks like they're being very judicious with new pieces this year. Tampoed-on bandana and sunglasses for Bishop and Jube? That's a little disappointing.

Oh, well, at least we're getting something...

Edited by Lobsterman

I may be too young to remember but wasn't this 80's magneto? I only remember this costume in the Jim lee xmen and it was some kind of old body scan that the shield guys were looking at to prepare for war.

2 down one to go

Oh yea, DST is probably gonna have one for themselves to show, right??

I gotta say, i really like this one. Mullet Bishop, Jubilee (kinda wanted removable glasses...it is a SDCC set after all), and 80s Magneto all look awesome.

But BD Brown Wolvie...yes...that's exactly what we wanted...will he come with and extra torso that reads "I <3 Kang" on it??? Honestly i don't like the Borwn costume at all, so it's a double lose for me. I'm just thanking the lord this is getting us Hoverchair Prof. X. :)

I may be too young to remember but wasn't this 80's magneto? I only remember this costume in the Jim lee xmen and it was some kind of old body scan that the shield guys were looking at to prepare for war.

This was the period where Mags wore this outfit. A very memorable cover here, IMO:

23516-3092-26210-1-uncanny-x-men-the_sup

Edited by karamazov80

I like this set! That Magneto is from right around the time I stopped reading X-Men issue 200ish. Jube and Bishop are a nice addition too. I just wish the Wolvie were a tad more creative but I guess that theyre running out of ideas for him.

Really disappointing set for me. Way to much of a kit bashed set.

Arcangel's hair piece for Bishop instead of a mullet. <_<

Painted on bandana. <_<

Tony Stark hairpiece for Jubilee. <_<

Painted on sunglasses for Jubilee. <_<

Overall feeling for this set... <_<

YAY Bishop and Jubilee.

... so Profesor X completes this set then?

You're forgetting Forge :P

Actually I designed that Magneto a while back and he's the only fig I really care about:

post-2001-1276042421_thumb.jpg

I never liked Mullet-Bishop or Jubes, but I'm glad the fans are getting them. I know a lot of people wanted Jubilee particularly. Maybe you can reverse her head to be non-sunglasses. Oh, and Mini Myte's right. The painted bandana looks awful.

That Wolverine is one of the worst ones yet. A translucent one with a metal skeleton embedded in it would be awesome.

Don't know if I'll get this, but I think some people will be happy. I'll take Jim Lee over Rob Liefeld, anyday.

Edited by Chazwinski

Really disappointing set for me. Way to much of a kit bashed set.

Arcangel's hair piece for Bishop instead of a mullet. <_<

Painted on bandana. <_<

Tony Stark hairpiece for Jubilee. <_<

Painted on sunglasses for Jubilee. <_<

Overall feeling for this set... <_<

I couldn't agree more! This is a major letdown and I pray that these are early prototypes and we see some significant tweaks prior to the actual release.

- Jubilee - Hopefully she will get a chest tampo, more detailed "shorts" and actual sunglasses like the Doc Brown specs, cast in clear pink plastic, preferably. Her facial expression should be more... jubilant. Or at least snarky. Plus fireworks, definitely.

- Bishop - Not bad. It looks like they used the same hairpiece as Capt. Britain/Archangel... which is fine by me. I like that they did use the shoulder and sleeve cuffs... but this figure needs a sculpted scarf and a big ole gun to really shine. A darker blue wouldn't hurt either.

- Magneto - What an odd choice. I don't despise this costume but it was more an 80s look than a 90s look and was very short-lived. I'd have preferred Forge or an Australian era Rogue... and if they wanted to add a villain (always a welcome idea) someone like Omega Red or Stryfe were more significant to the era.

- Wolverine - The obligatory Wolverine. UGH. I agree that an updated brown costume would have been preferable. Or how about Logan's Patch look from his Madripoor days with dark blue bodysuit? Or maybe a true Weapon X look with headgear? Even a Team X costume would be preferable to this "battle-damaged" look. The only thing that could save this? A giant X to shackle him to to recreate the cover to Uncanny X-Men #251!

Remember the hyper-level of new sculpting and detail we saw for the Champions and Thunderbolts sets? Even Dark Avengers had tons of new stuff. This paired with the X-Force exclusive set equals 8 new figures with nary a newly sculpted piece in the bunch! It makes "exclusive" feel more like "re-tread" and just seems cheap. I realize you need to cut costs where you can but when there are customs out there with more thoughtful re-use of parts and character accurate details/expressions... DST should be a little embarrassed, IMO.

I'm lukewarm about some of the parts reuses, but overall I like this set. Bishop and Emma Frost were probably the two X-Men most in need of a redo, so one down. Jubilee has been #1 on my want list since... this line launched, lol...

That said, being that she's been #1, I'm also kinda dissapointed in the part choices. The painted on glasses blow, I REALLY hope she comes with a spare alt head. The tony stark hair isn't great, but its also not the worst in the world. Old though it may be, I'd almost have prefered the original Ultimate Jean Grey hair, as I've seen on a few customs. The earrings on it suit Jubilee perfectly, but it does loook kinda dated, so I'm not 100% sure on that... but maybe. In any event, I think a new hairpiece with sculpted glasses around her forehead would have been best. Oh well...

Beyond that I don't hate the set. I don't mind Bishop's not having a mullet piece, kindof makes the mate look 90s, without looking full on goofy.

I'd have prefered a definative standard brown suit wolverine update over a lame battle damaged one, but eh... *Shrug*. I also could have done without 80s Magneto, but eh. I'm happy enough about finally getting a Jubilee (even a so-so Jubilee) that I can overlook those two.

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed another thing to gripe about. Am I nuts, or does Jubilee have a big crotch piece? If so, that seems kinda pointless.

Edited by Gillbob316

Ok Ok, someone explain this to me. This set is for the SDCC which means it will only be available there? Or how does this work? I've never bought a SDCC set before but this I have to have! Pardon my ignorance BTW.

It will just be first offered at SDCC. Any left over will be sold elsewhere and other than the Glow-In-The-Dark Stay Puft last year, I don't think there's ever been a Minimate sellout. This seems to be a DST exclusive so other retailers will sell it too, like AFX. Heck, even at the show, I see multiple booths selling the DST exclusives.

My experience is that the DST and AFX exclusives eventually end up in Previews and you can order them through your comic shop. It may take a few months for it to show up in Previews, though. I'd assume Luke will carry it too, if he can. You can also probably ask nicely to someone who is going too but I think it's too early for people to start begging.

So basically, don't worry at all and I highly doubt you'd have to pay for more than MSRP. ;)