UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kick-Ass

Trekker 42

I was considering seeing this, but the woman instead rented a movie called Coco avant Chanel, which I was privileged to see today. If you guys like French movies about romance and making hats, then this is the film for you! If you watch it hoping for wanton violence, you might be disappointed, though. There was one car crash involving death and mayhem, etc., but it occurs off-screen :(

I don't know if the TPB is out yet, but if you go to Tales of Wonder, they had the HB for about the price of a new TPB. Its worth a read. Millar is a great writer and JRJR is a great artist. JRJR said that when Millar approached him to do a book called "kick-ass", he was not sure he wanted to be attached to it, but after reading the script, he loved it.

Okay, I saw it...

This movie is so awful.

I genuinely think you've been tricked into seeing a different film to the rest of the world... go get your money back, pronto.

I don't know if the TPB is out yet, but if you go to Tales of Wonder, they had the HB for about the price of a new TPB. Its worth a read. Millar is a great writer and JRJR is a great artist. JRJR said that when Millar approached him to do a book called "kick-ass", he was not sure he wanted to be attached to it, but after reading the script, he loved it.

the hard back version was deliberately released to coincide with the film's release. There is a TPB version available, but it seems v.much to be marketed as film merchandise... pics from the movie on the front, etc.

Okay, I saw it...

This movie is so awful.

I genuinely think you've been tricked into seeing a different film to the rest of the world... go get your money back, pronto.

No kidding.

Honestly I have yet to read the comic (a mistake I will soon rectify) but with comic book movies I've found that faithfulness has to only be a small part in how you rate it. Dock Ock from Spider-Man 2 was not even CLOSE to his personality in the comics, but did that stop him from being awesome? Nah. With Doctor Doom, it did.

When I look at comic book movies I try to see if it can be good even if the work behind it didn't exist. Watchmen, for example, wasn't that great of a movie. Oh yeah, hell of an adaptation. Not a great movie. But Spider-Man 2, great movie, OK adaptation, but great movie. So seperating it from the work, which as I've never read it I had to, would you say it was actually mildly good?

Edited by Trekker 42

Yes, but my point was that they missed the intended heart of the story. The question is posed "what happens if real people try to be superheroes?" The comic, correctly, answers "Their lives are ruined and they go through Hell without so much as a 'thank you' for their troubles." This movie, however, was watered down for a wider audience, more acceptable for a mainstream. Their answer is "Everything's okay! See? Happy ending. Everything worked out okay in the end. Please exit stage left." The heart of the story was ruined just so it would make people happier instead of making them depressed and what to kill themselves once they realize how much their lives really suck and how there ARE no real superheroes. $0.02

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Yes, but my point was that they missed the intended heart of the story. The question is posed "what happens if real people try to be superheroes?" The comic, correctly, answers "There's lives are ruined and they go through Hell without so much as a 'thank you' for their troubles." This movie, however, was watered down for a wider audience, more acceptable for a mainstream. Their answer is "Everything's okay! See? Happy ending. Everything worked out okay in the end. Please exit stage left." The heart of the story was ruined just so it would make people happier instead of making them depressed and what to kill themselves once they realize how much their lives really suck and how there ARE no real superheroes. $0.02

So i can go make a cloth costume like RIGHT NOW, go to a local 7/11, stop an armed robbery, AND make it out unharmed with everything a-o-kay?!?!?! NO WAY. : :ohmy:

Be right back.

:rolleyes:

I didn't read Kick-Ass, because i've had much more important trades to pick up before it, though i have considered it several times. These days, i just don't feel like spending ANY money on trades, at the prices all companies put out. I WILL be seeing this movie thopugh,and am incredibly excited for it. Having not read it, i have huge expectations but nothing to complain about with accuracy, so i'm sure i'll enjoy it.

But please, save the happy-endings for Peter Parker next time. Seriously, since when the fuck to Pete's villains DIE every time he fights them?!

so i've seen kick-ass twice now (three times by week's end), and I ended up just buying the hardcover.

the movie is flat-out one of the best movies I have ever seen, bar none.

the comic issss so-so. there are a few things from the comic I would've loved to have seen in the movie,

like when kick-ass and big daddy meet, kick-ass says "nice to meet you" and big daddy just says "fuck off".

that was pretty great. but other than that I thought the movie triumphed over the comic. but that's just me

Edited by Marquis de Carabas

It was cartoony in comparison to the comic, but was a lot of fun to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing it again. :)

ive seen this movie times and read it 5. i can see where tm2dinobot is coming from where the comicbook had much a darker story and a more realisitic ending, here were deffinatly some scenes that comprimised his heroism. also i look forward to the dvd because there i twenty minuts of unused footage.

the movie is flat-out one of the best movies I have ever seen, bar none.

this post is flat-out one of the saddest posts I have ever seen, bar none.

cool, thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering about the quality of my last post :yes:

anyways, I just saw it a third time, and it hasn't lost its' luster yet.

don't get me wrong, I Get the point of the comic, I just didn't find as much intrigue in the comic as I did in the movie.

maybe it's because everyone built up the comic saying it was "one of the best books ever" and so on, but I just don't see it.

on a side note, I found out the scripts for the movie and the comic were written at the same time, with matthew vaughn and mark millar collaborating along the way. I thought the comic was plotted out beforehand at least, but I guess not. :blink:

Edited by Marquis de Carabas

i gotta pick that book up. i never got around to reading the series when it first came out, but the buzz has definitely been really strong on "kick ass".

p.s. i loved John romita, jr.'s artwork on "world war hulk", too. the dude just keeps getting better with age...

I cant comment on the comic as haven't red it so cant say about a full adaptation.

The movie I thought was just passable it was actually a bit bleh for me at times. It just doesn't shine for me as a brilliant comic movie. The only good parts I liked where the Hit Girl sequences for me she actually stole the movie.