UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Sherlock Holmes

gambitron

So I went to Sherlock Holmes yesterday and LOVED IT! I think Robert Downey Jr is great and this movie was just entertaining from beginning to end. I think Guy Ritchie did an amazing job "reinventing" this character in a way. The humor was great, the story was very well done, and all of the actors did a great job. As the last new movie I will likely see in 2009 this moves to my #2 movie of the year behind Star Trek.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

Sadly for me Sherlock Holmes doesn't premiere here until the first week of January, but I've been jonesing to see this for a while and the positive feedback is definitely a good sign :)

From what I hear though, technically Guy Ritchie didn't exactly "reinvent" the character so much as take him back to his literary roots: apparently Holmes had always been a martial arts-trained badass in the stories and not quite the stiff in the deerskin cap decades of onscreen adaptations made him out to be.

Sadly for me Sherlock Holmes doesn't premiere here until the first week of January, but I've been jonesing to see this for a while and the positive feedback is definitely a good sign :)

From what I hear though, technically Guy Ritchie didn't exactly "reinvent" the character so much as take him back to his literary roots: apparently Holmes had always been a martial arts-trained badass in the stories and not quite the stiff in the deerskin cap decades of onscreen adaptations made him out to be.

Believe me, he is. Strangely enough, when I see this, this will be the first Holmes adaptation that I will have seen in full. Seen parts of others... But never a full movie.

But Holmes is a violin-playing, smarmy, butt-kicking, drug-taking, genius level BAMF.

I agree, Gambitron. Holmes used to be a pretty boring character for me, but after finding out that R.D.J was in it, I decided to watch it. The movie gave me a WHOLE new take on the character, and I especially love the parts where

Holmes gets a precognition sort of thing about fighting

and

the last part when he exploited Blackwood's "magic"!

Great movie, although I have to say it was mostly RDJ who made the movie so lovable. Also never knew he had a sidekick, Watson...

Still not sold, I've yet to see a good film that has Jude Law in it!

T.

I can almost agree with that Tim..... I've seen good movies with him in it but he has rarely added much to them.

I've yet to see a good film that has Guy Ritchie as director, Lockstock was decent enough but hardly worth the hype.

Downey however is a favourite of mine & is generally excellent so the movie has a chance.....if I ever get the chance to see it.

P.S. One 'little Englishman's observation is that although HOLMES is spelled with an 'L' .....it is almost universally pronounced here in the UK with the 'L' silent ....HOMES. It has been irritating me like hell when the trailer/preview is voiced-over with the US bloke emphasising the 'L' :angry: It sounds like ...Sherlock Hole Ums...... :biggrin:

Grumpyheadsmate

Still not sold, I've yet to see a good film that has Jude Law in it!

T.

I can almost agree with that Tim..... I've seen good movies with him in it but he has rarely added much to them.

I've yet to see a good film that has Guy Ritchie as director, Lockstock was decent enough but hardly worth the hype.

Downey however is a favourite of mine & is generally excellent so the movie has a chance.....if I ever get the chance to see it.

P.S. One 'little Englishman's observation is that although HOLMES is spelled with an 'L' .....it is almost universally pronounced here in the UK with the 'L' silent ....HOMES. It has been irritating me like hell when the trailer/preview is voiced-over with the US bloke emphasising the 'L' :angry: It sounds like ...Sherlock Hole Ums...... :biggrin:

Grumpyheadsmate

I thought that Jude Law was excellent in Road to Perdition and Gattaca but he did get a little over exposed for a while a few years ago.

So far the only Guy Ritchie movie that I have seen more than once is Snatch and I did enjoy it.

It was an excellent film that had a great story and strong characters. The selling point, I think, is the actors in the film and seeing how they bicker and banter with eachother; because they did get some awesome actors in this film and they all did extremely well. The only thing I didn't like were the CGI heavy scenes because it looked a bit off. Especially the bridge scenes and the scene with the boat. It was sort of gimmicky. But it was a great film;easily tp 10 of the year worthy.4/5

Grumpyheadsmate

After seeing this I will never make that mistake again.

Alright, Sherlock Holmes. One word can adequately describe Sherlock Holmes:

Excellent.

Was it as good as Avatar? Yes. Perhaps better. It did not lag NEARLY as much as Avatar and the actors were a lot better (with the exception of Mark Strong's unmemorable Lord Blackwood, the main villain. Thankfully he had low screen time relatively speaking). Was it better than Star Trek? Hell no.

Downey Jr. was amazing. Again. Hell, most everything since his comeback has been just insanely good. And even Jude Law managed to not be awful. In fact, he managed to be rather good. Funny. But one could tell that he was there for Downey Jr. to play off of. (honestly the whole cast was more or less.) McAdams's Irene Alder was fun. Exactly how I imagined that she would be in screen. Smarmy, sexy, and overall utterly devious. Great portrayal of a fun character.

The movie's other antagonist gets nigh upon no screen time. He's the setup for the next movie. No face time, no clue who is inside the shadows. This, of course, makes the role of

Professor Moriarty

quite easy to recast. Almost insanely easy to recast in fact. It makes me wonder who they will get to play him in the next one. After all, the current iteration is quite... without menace. And this character needs to be MUCH more menacing.

I am thoroughly looking forward to the continuing adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

4/5

Ironically due to my current situation I am generally suspended in the realms of daytime UK TV :( The highlight of the day however is the 'Sherlock Holmes' TV series from years ago which....... to say the least...... is outstanding!!

This particular series..... although occasionally 'woody' but never 'Hollywoody' is a must for eveyone isn't Holmesaphobic :rolleyes:

An example ....no endorsement of the seller.......

http://dvd.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sherl...amp;_osacat=617

That series is GREAT and the episodes are great adaptations of the stories. Jeremy Brett will always be my Holmes. Please note that the series is also available to watch instantly on netflix. I haven't had a chance to see the new flick on account of the little guy. Even though I'm a bit skeptical, my love of Holmes has me itching to see it. (I actually managed to throw a Sherlock quote into an oral argument before an appeals court a few months ago.) I'm glad to see the movie is being received well.

My client had been convicted based on circumstantial evidence. The trial court refused to allow certain defense proof that would have provided an alternate explanation. In the Boscombe Valley Mystery, the circumstantial evidence appears to implicate a son as his father's killer. Holmes keenly observed, "Circumstantial evidence is a very tricky thing, it may seem to point very straight to one thing, but if you shift your own point of view a little, you may find it pointing in an equally uncompromising manner to something entirely different." I used it as my conclusion as it perfectly summed up the argument. I let the court know where I got it from, and the three judges all seemed to enjoy it. I guess I'll know in a few more months if it worked.