UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Stands and Dioramas!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started this post I had a list of about a dozen ideas for future stands and dioramas. That number has more than doubled now! There have been some awesome suggestions posted in this thread. :)

I love the idea of dioramas, but have you considered some kind of "generic" Minimate stand – just a clear disk or oval with pegs (and maybe an add-on flight "swoop" for flying characters) for all-purpose displaying?

Rad asked about this in an earlier post. Were you thinking of something like this? Maybe with just one peg in case you wanted to do a more dynamic pose?

Were you thinking of something like this?

Are those stands a buck each? If you can sell those awesome dioramas for under $10 those stands should be half the price. I'd buy 20 for 10 but at a dollar each that could get pricey for us crazies. I'll stick to my Tacky Wax for now.

Edited by Rheul

Some more ideas :P

- Jungle, swamp

- generic Mansion (can stand in for the X-Mansion, Avengers Mansion, Wayne Manor, etc.)

- Martian landscape (like the one for Bob's Dr. Manhattan custom ;))

- corporate office (can stand in for Lex Luthor or Norman Osborn's office)

- Wild West scene (either a desert scene or an old western town backdrop)

- (related to the flight stand idea) a "Flying in the clouds" scene

Luke, have you considered just plain ol\' display stands as well? Something along the lines of the stepped displays but with pegs for the c3 holes to sit on?

Were you thinking of something like this? Maybe with just one peg in case you wanted to do a more dynamic pose?

I didn't even know those existed. But no, what I had in mind was something along the lines of the 3 stepped stands that Ady and I got hold of a few years back, but with pegs molded in for 'mates to clip onto. I'll try to take a pic of my set up tonight so you can see what I'm getting at.

I think flight stands of all types [explosive/flaming, clear for non-combusting fliers :D] and in various clear colors would be sweet [various shades of red/orange/yellow/blue for the flames, and all the Lantern auras!].

Pretty much all of the cool dio ideas I would've had have already been suggested. I was thinking of some build-a-skylines in day and night palettes for me -- New York and/or Metropolis and Gotham. Although that's already been covered, mostly. Not many standard locations left... alien-ish ship interior, desert, urban/city, [savage land-esque] jungle, slums/sewers, [x- or avengers] mansion, office/penthouse suite, a school...

Oh, and maybe a couple more pegs on the dio floor for that sample... and wall too, for certain wall-crawling webheads to perch.

Awesome idea Luke, and I'm glad a producer of your caliber is all over it! Now I just need to worry about shipping them things over here :D

Edited by lastmaximal

Luke, I think if you contacted the guys at Unicron.com they might be able to help you with some of your future stuff, at least as far as advise and everything goes. they're cool guys who were doing garage kits before garage kits were popular.

Thought: a catwalk-looking base in a triangular wedge, with a green acrylic tube at the end like a clone pod. like from dead or Alive 3 (or Dad Fantasy for you n00bs). you could clone your own minimates! maybe even make it just big enough for a small 3 3/4" figure. have the base in a wedge pattern so that they can connect to form a ring.

Regardless, have connectors so people can like all/any of your bases together. Even a simple puzzle piece type design.

It's late and I have no idea what i'm talking about.

I have no idea what i'm talking about.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one :lol:

I think TM2 is referring to a laboratory-type set-up with one of these, with a triangular base so you can connect them together like a pizza, making the "people jars" form a ring like in the movies.

I think TM2 is referring to a laboratory-type set-up with one of these, with a triangular base so you can connect them together like a pizza, making the "people jars" form a ring like in the movies.

Which is a GREAT idea for say...reenacting the plot of X-men Legends II!!!!! I loved that game, and this sounds like a great idea.

Which is a GREAT idea for say...reenacting the plot of X-men Legends II!!!!! I loved that game, and this sounds like a great idea.

Precisely! Glad you like it! I am by no means a graphic designer, but I'll try and do a few mock ups to show what I'm talking about.

Okay, here's my proposal. I bet it's out of your league, Luke, but only just. The design, once it's nailed, is very simple.

A pie wedge with locking innies and outties. perhaps a cross hatching on the floor, perhaps not. Foot Pegs along the sides. Holes for posts on the outter rim. These allow for the computers and/or guard rails to be placed in whatever customizable order the user so desires. The People Pod is mounted on a joint that also fits in a hole. The top and bottom of the people pod are the same, to save on production costs. Both ends just pop in/out. There is enough room to place a Minimate in a floating or maybe a slight fetal position, allowing for real play value. it is also just tall enough so that a (not overly large) 3 3/4" figure could fit in there. This opens up your market to Joe/SW/MU/any other 3.75" collectors. The pieces can be connected together to form a complete platform.

Also, if the top and bottom of your base plate are exactly the same, people could actually create a top by adding another joint on top of the pod. Remember, they're identical. You could create a clone pod tower. Think Di:Stage

Anyways, here's m,y rough design. I don't think it's a bad idea. Like I said, a little out of your league at this point. But seriously. Drop the Lukis brothers a line. I've worked with them for years. They're great guys and know plenty of tips and tricks to help you out. I can totally see ANY playset you do taking off big. This just appealed to me though. And it's cheaper than the cardboard thing DST is giving us.

post-51-1258263270_thumb.jpg

From what I've seen very very little would be out of Luke's league ..TM2 , I commend you & others for some excellent suggestions many of which may hopefully come to fruition.

The direction I've taken lately has been to look at Mega Blok sets. I concentrate on buying 2nd.hand boxless sets which seem to sell for peanuts on ebay. Now I must admit I get a bit intimidated by the looks I get when I pick these up from the ebay sellers & "My imaginary son will love these ...." seems to come to my lips automatically :blush:

Mega Blok figures themselves are not & never will be my 'new passion' & therefore go straight back into the 'sell pot' but some of the bases from these sets are colourful & work brilliantly well with Minimates ....far more 'friendly' than than black,white, yellow, clear lego bases. By far the best sets to get are the Mega Pirates/Pyratesghost-ships which look the total-dogz with a few Ghostbusters running round the decks chasing Slimers up the masts. These ships are covered in lego pimples & very little falls over,there's also the added bonus that when these 26"long monsters get dusty they look even more realistic :D These ships can be dismantled (obviously) & then with a little imagination lend themselves to being Asgard ,Latverian castles ,Atlantis, subterrain, etc.etc.etc.

Luke's initial backdrop is as always brilliant but I hope I'm being constructive by saying that what is really needed are a few custom lego-type 'parts' .....bullet hole /blood splatter/powder burst decals might be an easy/obvious place to start.

A few well-placed decals on a few lego bricks would turn more than one lego diorama into a battle-damaged war-zone.

Edited by buttheadsmate

TM2 those are some great ideas, but I probably won't be able to do anything that intricate for quite a while. At some point I will need to invest in some higher end equipment such as a pressure pot, and then I will be able to do some more elaborate things. But the first few series will be more basic.

Luke's initial backdrop is as always brilliant but I hope I'm being constructive by saying that what is really needed are a few custom lego-type 'parts' .....bullet hole /blood splatter/powder burst decals might be an easy/obvious place to start.

A few well-placed decals on a few lego bricks would turn more than one lego diorama into a battle-damaged war-zone.

I can definitely look into making something like this. :)

Hey Luke. I dont know what size operation you are running but I am under the impression it an upstart small business. Obviously there is a lot of interest in these displays and I think you should be moving quite a few units. With all these suggestions, some (including my own) being quite complicated this will be a big strain you and each piece will be quite time consuming. I would suggest that to keep prices down and your sanity intact, sell these unpainted. You should be able to ship more items and avoid a ton of back orders that way. Maybe pre-painted displays can be sold at a premium? But hey this is your business... feel free to tell me to shut the hell up.