UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New green lantern casting news

entertheninja!

I don't know who would make a good Hal Jordan, but I know I can't see Reynolds. Fillion could possibly pull it off, as I can take him a bit more seriously as a dramatic actor, but he wouldn't be ideal. I still think Reynolds would be better suited to Booster Gold than anyone else, but Fillion could also do that role justice I think.

For Jordan, I would want someone who could be extremely self-assured, optimistic (Reynolds always seems far too cynical for a character who is supposedly the "anti-Batman" in the newer comics), but straight-laced and kind of nondescript apart from that. An unknown would probably be best, but I think the guy who played Captain Kirk would be perfect.

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I meant wouldn't. I think he's a good actor, he just doesn't fit the mold of GL for me. Neither does Reynold's, but he's a bit closer to GL than ol' Mal ;) Sometimes though, I wish they would just get unknown's to play parts.

I agree unknown actors would be a good way to go.

I definitely agree with this. Just look at Christopher Reeve, for God's sake. Quite frankly, no one has the chops to play Hal; while i'd hate to say this about a character i love dearly, Hal really is a "boring everyman." :confused: Reynolds is too much o an Ollie Queen, and Fillion, whle he would be a BETTER choice, isn't fit either. They needed to have gone for the "unkown" here, and it's a shame they didn't.

So far every actor hasn't been right for the roles they've gotten, and it is really dissapointing.

I think that if the character is going to be bigger than any actor you put in the role you can cast an unknown like Christopher Reeve in Superman. Green Lantern is not Superman so you need to have someone in the role that people will recognize. I have stated my case for Reynolds and against Fillion so I won't go into that aside from this.

Quite frankly, no one has the chops to play Hal; while i'd hate to say this about a character i love dearly, Hal really is a "boring everyman."
If that is how you see Hal why would you like him? And how can you call a fighter pilot a "boring everyman" There is a major Air Force base in the town I live in and I have had the chance to meet a few and none could be classified as a "boring everyman" they are quite the opposite. They are the elite. They are brash and cocky but it's not really cocky because they know they can back up every bit of it. That's Hal Jordan. That's why Ryan Reynolds is great casting.

Two Face... I'm speechless.

Hal is about the LEAST "everyman" of the League.

He's the hot-shot-out-of-control-acts-without-thinking-ladies-man of the team.

How long have you been reading GL? :blink:

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, it's just Hal, unlike every other Superhero (Booster excluded) really likes himself.

He knows his role and never thinks twice about it. He's a hero.

As for Blake... What's everyone's problem?

Obviously at first glance she looks like more of a "Cowgirl" than a Carol, but that's because she has long blonde hair. Blake wore a wig on SNL a couple weeks ago:

Honestly, I don't have high expectations, but that could be a good thing.

Count me among those who think Ryan can pull this off.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, it's just Hal, unlike every other Superhero (Booster excluded) really likes himself.

Obviously at first glance she looks like more of a "Cowgirl" than a Carol, but that's because she has long blonde hair. Blake wore a wig on SNL a couple weeks ago:

True, but Hal changes who he is almost every 30 seconds. First he was the straight-shooter pilot after the heart of his boss and would never go against the rulebook. The he meets Ollie and fights to be the seriou one while Ollie's wild-side starts to rub off on him (evident currently is "Cry for Justice"). With Barry he takes te "subordinate role" and lets Barry play hero for a bit. With Bruce he adobts a "well you can't make me afraid so you don't like me" childish streak. He changes who he is depending on who he's with. Now he's out and against the Guardians and against the rulebook. THAT'S why i consider him an everyman; he's been "every man"." :confused:

Oh, i've been reading since Rage of the Red Lanterns, but have gone back and picked up every trade released yet, a few from the incredible Neal Adams' era (like GL/GA), and have started picking up the 1980 issues. I may be "new" to GL, but i'm not uneducated. I LOVE Hal, i think he has tons of potential, and he IS a great character, despite what i said. Personally i feel it depends on who's writing him. People write Hal in so many different ways, it gets confusing. that doesn't stop me from considering him my favorite DC Character, but i ALWAYS look at two sides of the same coin.

There are reasons to like him, and reasons to hate him. I understand both.

damn...that was confusing...:blink: Does anyone understand what i mean?? Sounded a lot better in my head...:sweat:

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Finally someone who gets it. My problem with Lively is I don't know what sort of actress she is all I know is that she is on that terrible show Gossip Girls. I have that episode of SNL on my DVR and I will re-evaluate my feelings about her after watching it.

It's all in how you see Hal I guess.

Yeah, if you play up the retconned "West-Coast Sharpie", Hal "Highball" Jordan, cocky, conceited wise ass angle, then yes. No question, Ryan Reynolds can do that in his sleep.

But that really is a modern reinterpretation of Hal. Hal was the straight man, the "space cop", the voice of the establishment that "old lefty" Ollie played off of. And then there was all the moping. Hal moped a lot. And quit the Corps a lot.

So I guess the image of Hal burned strongest in my head is the bipolar, world-weary veteran hero he was just before he went all Parallax on us. And honestly I don't know who I could see playing him except maybe building a time machine and casting a 40 year old Lee Majors.

But to be fair, most of DC lacked individual personalities until the mid 70's anyway.

As to this girl... If she can play a harsh ball-buster who is unwillingly attracted to her trouble-making employee convincingly, then she can handle what they are likely ask of her for Hal's origin story. And scream loudly on cue when contrivedly menaced. Because that's apparently a requirement of female leads in superhero movies.

Because that's apparently a requirement of female leads in superhero movies.

And any Kong remake of course.

Yeah I'm in on the Reynolds casting. I know notthing NO-THING! about Green Lantern. So honestly I'm just hoping for a fun superhero space kick ass adventure GOD BLESS AMERICA!

So... yeah. I'll take Ryan Reynolds

My biggest fear is that they will make the character of Hal Jordan have qualities of Kyle Raynor. Reynolds is a great actor, check out his more dramatic stuff like 'Definitely, Maybe' and 'The Nines'. I do not think Reynolds is Hal, he could be Kyle, but not Hal. To me Hal is a Cocksure kind of guy, he is a test pilot for the love of god. Not one person who is willing to get in an airplane that could explode is not an adrenaline junky or suicidal if not both. Maybe Jeremy Renner from 'The Hurt Locker' could be a perfect Hal. But no matter what I do not see a little waif of a girl being Carol Ferris. To me Carol is just as cocky as Hal because she has to run "a man's" business.

BTW I am not saying I believe it is a man's business I am just saying what the typical perception is, no crucifixions please.

I think Miry nailed it on the head with the fact that until the bronze age of comics heroes didn't HAVE different personalities.

I remember Geoff Johns talking about Flash rebirth and how he would be able to literally write Barry from scratch since he didn't have any history other than him getting hit by lightning and running, since he missed everything since the silver age of comics.

Case in point: Modern day Hal Jordan is brash and cocky... And stubborn as hell.

I see what you are saying Two-Face about the changing for situations, but it might not be to the extreme you're percieving it. Just recently in BN (#3 I think) Barry gives a pep talk to Ray & Mera and says they have to be more like Hal. Why? Cause Hal laughs in the face of danger! HA! HA! HA!

Seriously though, the 2 examples you gave that DIDN'T have Hal spitting in the face of authority were his 2 best friends (Ollie & Barry).

I think Hal might be more of what the every man ASPIRES to be. He doesn't take any bullsh@t. He's great with the ladies... And he's fearless.

Hell yeah.

As for "Miss Ferries" I have that episode PVRed too. I seem to remember not being in love with the episode. Only a rewatch will decide though. :P

Two Face, if you're really liking Hal I suggest Ron Marz's run on GL. I might be remembering it with Rose colored glasses but that's where Kyle was REALLY likable. Sure, he didn't "reinvent" GL like Geoff did but he had rules to follow.

It's been a long time since anyone has written Kyle well and it'd be nice to read them again.

I think Miry nailed it on the head with the fact that until the bronze age of comics heroes didn't HAVE different personalities.

Well let's be clear, Nes, DC heroes had no personality until the bronze age. Marvel characters on the other hand a wide variety of persona's, most of them angst driven, from FF#1 on. It was what helped Marvel really establish itself against it's distinguished competition. I know most of you have the the first few issues of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four at some point, and yeah these days they come off really dated and a little hokey. BUT, go check out some of DC's silver age stuff that were coming out contemporary to them. Then you'll really understand why Stan, Jack, and Steve were considered "ground breaking."

Crap. Dragging this off topic. Um... okay... Movie related thought... I will say I am pleasantly surprised the movie has gotten this far in preproduction. I fully expected it to fall apart like every other non-Bat DC project has over the last 20 years. The notable exception of Superman Returns, but the movie was lackluster, and the attempts at a sequel fell apart as well. But I can hardly believe my cynical tail is starting to feel hopeful that WB might be turning a corner and really start using the rich depths of their DC property to it's potential. Oh who am I kidding. It's Warner Brothers, they'll find a way to screw this up. Anything else and then we might as well start stocking up on supplies cause the Mayans will be right after all.

Maybe Jeremy Renner from 'The Hurt Locker' could be a perfect Hal.

I can see that guy doing well, also. Unfortunately, he is already prepping to be Hawkeye :buttrock:

And to follow up on what Miry is saying, I was trying to read through some of the old JLA/JSA teamups from the 60s yesterday. Having just recently read through early TPB collections of the Avengers, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, and X-Men, man, did DC suck! The characters literally are inter-changeable, personality-wise (the JSA guys are older and make comments to that effect, but that's about it), and the stories are just excuses to string a bunch of lame action sequences together. They are very tedious to get through, seeming as if they were only interested in writing for 10 year old boys with no attention or interest in character development.

I like how in the Marvel comics, several times Stan Lee would write something to the effect of "if you are worrying that you are reading a soap opera and that we had forgotten to give you that exciting Marvel action, fear not! We will get there shortly!" It is as if he was getting so wrapped up in the characters and situations, that he had to remind himself who his audience was. DC did not seem to have that problem in the Silver Age stuff that I've read.

I still think it is hilarious how dysfunctional the early Avengers are. Those are really some terrific comics.

Edited by karamazov80

I loved the Hurt Locker but I would see Renner more as Guy than Hal.

Guy Gardner Guy? I haven't seen that guy do "obnoxious" before, so it's hard for me to see that one. I think Philip Rivers should be Guy Gardner.

Reynolds could make a great G'Nort, now that I think about it.

I am not really a Ryan Reynolds fan, but he will IMO make a good HJ Green Lantern. Jackie has potential as Sinestro and his height could be a problem, but I think they will make up for it with camera play. Rorschack never looked 5' 5" (to me) in The Watchmen.

If she can play a harsh ball-buster who is unwillingly attracted to her trouble-making employee convincingly, then she can handle what they are likely ask of her for Hal's origin story. And scream loudly on cue when contrivedly menaced. Because that's apparently a requirement of female leads in superhero movies.

She can't. She's horrible. Awful. Atrocious. Easy on the eyes, yes, but she's pretty much devoid of anything resembling either a soul or acting ability. Ok, I'm being a little unfair. She can play bat-shit crazy with the best of them, so maybe we'll be seeing Star Sapphire.

I like Ryan Reynolds, and although he wouldn't have been my first choice for Hal, I think he can pull it off.

Edited by Turtle

in all the spiderman hysteria of the past couple days it has kind of gone unnoticed that Peter Sarsgarrd has be cast as Hector Hammond in the Green Lantern movie. This is good because he is a good actor but bad because it means that Jackie Earl Haley is Sinestro who I never imagined being so small in stature. /film article here

What happened to the Chris Cooper as Sinestro rumor? I guess it was just that.

But if the article is right and if they are going to adhere to Johns's interpretation of GL, having just read a couple of Johns GL TPBs, I can't see Haley at all.

Edited by karamazov80

What happened to the Chris Cooper as Sinestro rumor? I guess it was just that.

But if the article is right and if they are going to adhere to Johns's interpretation of GL, having just read a couple of Johns GL TPBs, I can't see Haley at all.

I didn't like his casting when it happened and took solace that maybe he was playing Hammond but now I really don't like it JEH is just so weasel like and Sinestro should be a strapping guy not some diminutive angry purple dwarf.

Well casting not withstanding, the overall idea of using Sinestro as a Green Lantern in the first movie with an option form him to don the yellow ring in a sequel would actually be good story telling. Better to see him, and get used to him being around so that when he falls from grace, it has greater emotional impact on the audience. Assuming a lot from a few brief lines, I know, but that's what I would do.

Well casting not withstanding, the overall idea of using Sinestro as a Green Lantern in the first movie with an option form him to don the yellow ring in a sequel would actually be good story telling. Better to see him, and get used to him being around so that when he falls from grace, it has greater emotional impact on the audience. Assuming a lot from a few brief lines, I know, but that's what I would do.

I agree. this is what i loved about First Flight; they, sadly, ditched Parallax ( i really liked the saga; sue me. It added some new depth to Hal, IMO) and went straight to the "Sinestro Corps." It be so great for "new fans" after the movie to get to really feel what it means to lose yourself to power one gets;of course, this is SEQUEL-ONLY material. ;)

Also, i'd LOVE to see Sinestro classic Blue Suit to be involved. Maybe he's delegating the Qwardians on it's design after they assemble the Ring, show him the "classic design" (that he would have never gotten in the movie, mind you), and Sinestro basically says "Are you joking?? THIS is the crap you came up with?!?!?! FIX IT!!!!!" *slap* Gives the die-hard fans a nod to their followership, and isn't so out-there that new people wn't understand it. :)

I'm hoping extensive makeup/CG will mask Haley's likeness, if he is ultimately chosen. I still don't think he has the mannerisms or voice to do an effective, contemporary Sinestro (from what little I've read of the new series), but I certainly don't think that scrawny, kind of creepy guy has the look. He was a perfect Rorschach, though.

Maybe Nightmare on Elm Street will change my opinion.

Edited by karamazov80

Another guy at Aintitcool claims the director isn't even interested in Haley, instead being interested in this guy, for what that's worth (very possibly nothing):

post-1827-1263614068_thumb.jpg

I think he's definitely got the look.

Edited by karamazov80

Heh.

The studio wants one guy, the director wants another and a shoot start is looming which could threaten a release date.

All allegedly.

Hmmmmm. Where have I heard this before? Can you reboot a movie that hasn't started yet? ;)