UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Mates are out:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't suprise me MOC, both these and the SF Mates were over in the overstock and clearance section in my (Tacoma, WA)TRU's. As I said in the SF thread, I took a pass on these for the moment. As I was a little disappointed that there's only 2 Mates in this wave? Seems crazy to me and I can't understand why they can't at least pushed out 4 Mates in the set? Hopefully AA will get their act together on these, it would be a shame for them to blow such a fun license as SR.

No, their regular price, they were just kind of thrown on the shelves. It's apparent that whomever put them there isn't in charge of that section. Since someone else put the SR cars in with the action figures. Clearly I need to see about working at one of my local TRU's, because they don't have anyone with any idea how to merchandise. It's no wonder the Hasbro rep stopped going to these 2 stores :rolleyes:

Got my set today, even though I'm not a big Speed Racer fan, it is a good thing just to get some new mates!

As far as the quality I think its just fine....the hair piece and the paint seems to be a little better then some of the mates I've gotten before! This really makes me anixious for the BSG and DC mates! :lol:

I finally found them< after checking 4 different TRU.

My micro review

the cars: eh cute...but not a selling point. My 4 year old nephew will like them

the mates: mine were fine with paint application. I like them. It is good to see them next to the other minimates in my collection. The only change i made was i replaced speeds feet with some black feet. I think it looks better.

Overall not disappointed with them. I will definitely buy more if they ever make them.

Now bring on the DC mates :)

Wasn't really excited about the line, but I do have this to say:

THEY'RE FINALLY HERE!!!

Minimates are in Greenville. Oh how gorgeous the sight of minimates hanging on the peg at Toys R Us.

I got one of each, but at $7.99 a set, I may go chip away at TRU's stock just a bit over the next few weeks. I've already been bugging the staff of the store enough where they recognized me, and the cashier was happy to see me with my Speed mates in hand today.

good to see the NCers getting mates! here is my story, I went to the comic shop with my bud. Well the guy who works there is the manager of the nearest TRU. He knew I was the "minimate guy" lol so hes like, show me what all your looking for. And his pc at the shop had dsl so I started showing him pics and hes like im 90% sure ive seen the speed racers! He called up, had a blue shirt jobber go to the back and hold me 1 of each. Thats damn cool. He actually got shit done. TRU has NO clue! Also he now has pics of the SF 4 packs and the new marvel 4 packs. So its good to know people lol

I picked up the Speed mates at TRU in SOuthern Cali wednesday. I have to say they were pretty good, paint apps look fine. Kinda dissappointed about how far off the scale of the cars are, but what can you do? New 'mates is new 'mates, right! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
My review of Speed Racer with Mach 5 is up, and I'm going against the flow with it as I do like the set a lot!

I'll be interested to read it Danny. Yours is the first opinion that I've seen so far that looks like it's favorable.

For those that don't know, they can check out Danny's review at Minimates Central.

Edit*

Now that I've read your review Danny, I think you're actually closer to most of the reviews I've seen - paint apps aren't quite up to what we're used to, car isn't quite what expected, etc. Overall, an ok set, but not an out of the park home run like it could have been.

Oh it's certainly not an outright smash hit set, but it's far from the worst thing we ever got and it just has a... charm about it despite some flaws.

That's kind of the feeling I got from the other reviews - maybe it's just the way I interpreted them. Seems like one of those sets that I'd pick up if I had an extra wad o'cash in my pocket (or if grandma gave me some $ for my birthday :D ).

Thanks for the review!

I think you're getting soft in your old age Danny :P

Quite possibly. I mean, this is THE most "kid orientated" Minimates line of them all, yet I at the grand old age of 31 like it :D

Or am just happy to get something other than the 8 billionth Wolverine? Hmmmm.

• 1 month later...

Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of these even though I wasn't really sure I wanted them. If nothing else, it's another 'mate fix for me until something else comes out. I guess if I go into expecting them not to be fantastic, then I may atleast be a little bit surprised with what I get.

I really need the February releases sooner than later.

Why would they do that? Does Speed Racer have manga?

Actually, yes. Tatsuo Yoshida created Mach Go Go Go which then became anime and then crossed the sea to become Speed Racer.

The manga has been reprinted a few times...by NOW Comics back in the 80s and by DC/Wildstorm in 2000.

Wildstorm also produced an original mini-series (collected as a tpb, but it's hard to find) called "Born to Race" which was a prequel to the series.

Seven Seas Entertainment has a new Speed Racer manga series scheduled for Summer 2007 (www.gomanga.com)

So, yeah, besides being a pop culture icon there's plenty of comics connection to Speed.

Jeff