UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guy Ritchie directs for DC Comics...on LOBO?!?!

Twisted Two-Face

And this is why i love AFI; they somehow get news that's big and special before others. And this is big, special, and deserves a WTF??? I'll let you find out for yourself (BTW, this one's the FULL article from Variety, NOT the AFI Summary.):

Warner Bros. has locked Guy Ritchie to direct “Lobo,” the live action adaptation of the DC Comics drama about an alien interstellar bounty hunter.

Don Payne wrote the most recent script draft, and Joel Silver, Akiva Goldsman and Andrew Rona will produce. Pic is a co-production between Silver Pictures and Weed Road.

Ritchie will make the film his follow-up to “Sherlock Holmes,” the Silver-produced film that stars Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Rachel McAdams, which Warner Bros. opens Christmas Day.

Production on “Lobo” begins early next year. The character originated in 1983 in “Omega Men,” written by Roger Slifer and Keith Giffen. Lobo has had several comic incarnations. In the film, he is a seven-foot tall, blue-skinned, indestructible and heavily muscled anti-hero who drives a pimped out motorcycle, and lands on Earth in search of four fugitives who are bent on wreaking havoc. Lobo teams with a small town teenaged girl to stop the creatures.

WB is aiming for a PG-13 rating. Pic will be strong on visual effects, and Ritchie will bring the irreverent, gruff tone of past films like "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."

Steve Richards and Kerry Foster will be executive producers.

With all the attention on Disney’s Marvel deal, the Ritchie deals gives WB yet another production start through its DC Comics banner. Silver and Goldsman are producers on “The Losers,” while Goldsman is a producer on “Jonah Hex.” WB recently set Ryan Reynolds to play the title character in the Martin Campbell-directed “Green Lantern.” DC Comics is a WB-owned entity, and Gregory Noveck steers the film adaptations for DC.

Ritchie is repped by CAA.

Wow...a gruff, violent Lobo movie...i must admit, i've NEVER been a fan of Lobo; i've even skipped his DC Minimates Pack and the DCU Classic figure (MISTAKE), but this sounds like an AWSOME idea. I never expected DC to have a good follow-up to the Dark Knight, and never in Hell did i expect Lobo to follow before say Flash or Wonder Woman, so this sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to see where it goes.

Of course, i'd also like it to be in 3-D like the glasses he wears, but i'd understand if it wasn't. ;) I can't imagine who will play Lobo, though. Would asking for CG be too much?? :blush:

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Well I'm hoping the press-geek just had his facts confused, as Lobo has white skin not blue and that's the kind of thing that'll keep the vital nerd constituency from showing up.

I have only found Lobo enjoyable twice- both times in the ADCU/Timmverse, both times over the top voiced by Brad Garret. (The brother on Everybody Loves Raymond) Follow that model, and it'll be a fun film. Ya fraggin' geekwad.

I've never really understood or cared much for Ritchie's movies, but the frenetic quality of his films and his appreciation for wacky characters and violence will probably work with Lobo. Can't say I have much interest based on this information alone, though.

I'm not a big DC fan - as some might know - and I only know little about Lobo - he has a heavy metal radio implanted in his brain, right? -, but I like Guy Richie's movies and this might work. I'll give it a try I guess, but it doesn't make me go :woot: so far.

But thanks for the info TTF!

Well, I am really not a Lobo fan at all, may be one of my most disliked characters in fact...but...I actually kind of really, really, dig Guy Ritchie movies. I may end up liking this, and am already a bit excited to see it in this style. The little bit I know about him makes me think Ritchie's movie style will fit very nicely.

on a side note, I am all over Sherlock Holmes! (go ahead, you weirdos, quote away)

Edited by Nervous

Big fan of Lobo. Not just for its so over the top violence but in that context it actually takes a sideways swipe at the much in fashion anti-hero of its time. The paramilitry xmas special was one of the comics that got me back into reading comics after a long break.

I have also enjoyed Guy Ritchie movies but I dont think he's the guy for this job its not in his comfit zone, I would have gone for someone like Rob Zombie to Direct/Produce Lobo.

Anyway there is a good Lobo Fanflick if you have a spare 15 minutes.