UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Why is Deadpool's second mask so messed up?

Dio

If you don't know the character that well, that's his face! The second mask isn't symmetrical. It's like O_o when it should be like O_O. Even if there's an expression his face, the black outlines shouldn't be affected. I was happy with the control art because even when it had a twitch in his eye, it was still equal. And there isn't even a V line on the back of his mask like there is one on the angry mask. It just really bothers me because he doesn't fit in with the rest of my Minimates, who all have symmetrical faces. I know his personality doesn't fit in with everyone else, but that doesn't mean his appearance has to as well.

I love Deadpool but without the modifications I've already done to him it's been a major letdown, I've been looking forward to him for a very long time. Instead of giving us two of Blade's swords, the just give him a couple toothpicks and slap an extra pistol to his back and call it good. I sharpied in the rest of the details missing on his hands and shoulders and it looks pretty good, I just need to get a fine point sharpie to make the edges more crisp.

Though I guess we're lucky he even has two masks to begin with, the only other Minimate I can think of that has two masks is Bolt Face Iron Man and he's a variant. Ugh.

I personally think the deadpool was well executed, I don't think there is anything (besides minor details) to complain about. I don't think it is fair to call it a "major letdown". When it comes to the swords I don't mind the way the swords are integrated, with two giant swords and sheaths he wouldn't be able to stand. If you don't mind, can you post pics of your modifications when they are done?

Seems like you are right, Dio! I didn't realize that there actually is a difference between the 'mate and the control art. And in fact, it is completely unrealistic that the black outlines do change with his facial expression.

But: I must confess that I really love the way this second mask turned out and that I thought I did see something like that in the comics as well. :blink:

Yeah, like I said I would post them after I get a fine point sharpie and I'll be back later this evening. I'm a very detailed oriented person and little things like this stick out to me, so far everything else that has been released except for DA Hawkeye has been pleasing to the eye. I thought we were guaranteed the Deadpool shown in the control art. It also doesn't make sense to have little Hitler mustaches on Deadpool's hands.

Edited by Dio

If you really want to nitpick the control art, then you would notice that the gun that straps onto Deadpool's belt at the back was supposed to be a knife in the original specs.

And he was supposed to have belt print underneath his belt, just to drive you a little more insane.

I LOVE the new mask; it's the only one i'll pose him with. It shows a side of Deadpool we all wanted to see when they announced him; the FUN side. He's used that face before, and he'll use it again, probably referencing the last issue he did while he's at it...i don't see how you couldn't like it; hell, you even say it's not symmetrical...even though the old one wasn't either!! :blink:

And in fact, it is completely unrealistic that the black outlines do change with his facial expression.

But the white eyes changing on the mask are realistic?

Deadpool is one of the best minimates we've ever gotten in the Marvel, IMO. The lack of symmetry gives his mask more of a comic effect to me.

If it really bothers you, you could still, you know, use the normal mask.

Edited by cesium salami

I like the second mask quiet a lot, it really shows the more insane side of him, and personally I'm glad they switched it(personally it's what I'm using on him right now). I mean, before both masks looked more sinister and aggressive, and while Deadpool is both of those things he is also completely insane. He is the meat!

And Deadpool's eyes are like part of his masks in the comics, with every little expression he makes the mask moves along with it! If you read them regularly you should notice this. You'll see one eye is bigger than the other on occasions. I'm sure different artists have had their different takes on him, but most of them keep his wacky facial expressions. If I have to I can try and scan one of my pages that show this. There has to be something along those lines in a several of my comics.

Minimates have always sort of been cartoony and fun to me and this mask really transitioned well with the character. The expression is priceless (always makes me lol) and I'm so glad they included the second mask. :)

It's a real treat for people who read the comics and know the character well.

The lack of balance and symmetry in Deadpool's mask is the artist's way of conveying the lack of balance in the characters psyche. Deadpool is currently seeing a therapist to help him work through and overcome some of his deep emotional issues. I am confident that once his course of treatment is over, we will se a new, balanced & socially responsible Deadpool with a perfectly symmetrical mask to match!

For starters, I DO know Deadpool well enough that he wouldn't want his face messed up i.e. the mask is his face. I've read Cable and Deadpool as well as the classic series and several offshoots.

When I started making the rectangles that are on his costume in several variations, I noticed that the arms were uneven in the first place:

th_IMG_0457.jpg

The feet were also messed up:

th_IMG_0474.jpg

One arm even had some bleeding:

th_IMG_0478.jpg

Here are the masks:

th_IMG_0486.jpg

Yes, that IS black crud that came with the mask.

Here's what the sides look like after the first layer of sharpie:

th_IMG_0479.jpg

th_IMG_0481.jpg

th_IMG_0484.jpg

I'll even out the back, but I'm too tired after coming home from work to do it right now but there you have it. And all the swords have managed to do is leave silver paint on Deadpool's back.

What was the point of showing us the control art if they're not going to follow it? "Oh hey, let's show you incredible control art to hype you up and buy our product without question, but then we'll change it and leave out some details." Various artists HAVE put rectangles like the ones shown on his chest on back on his shoulders, hands and feet as well, and instead got Hitler mustaches on the hands, and straight uneven lines on the shoulders. At least they stuck to the ones on the feet. If you look on the back of the box, it SHOWS you the original mask. Which is kind of misleading. And while I'm picking at wave 28, Wolverine's mask is uneven. The left side is considerably skinnier than the right, which means it's a reuse of the Daken mask. But THEY did paint that area black as if it were there. Cute.

If you really want to nitpick the control art, then you would notice that the gun that straps onto Deadpool's belt at the back was supposed to be a knife in the original specs.

Yes, I did. But I like the sai better, though it would have been nicer to get a pair. I thought they weren't going to do the sai at all, which is why I got an Elektra XD

Anyway, I have more work to do on Deadpool before I'm completely happy with him. If I can sharpie in details like that, then I'm sure DST/AA could have done a better job. I like the mask, but I NEED a symmetrical one too.

Edited by Dio

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Dio. My Wave 28 set is still in the mail, but doesn't he come with two masks, one which is symmetrical to show us a serious Deadpool, for those who want their cold-blooded assassin, and then one with the larger eye for those who want their whacky Deadpool? From what others have said, that was kind of the point... But hey, if you don't like it, they're your minimates. I've made some alterations to my own minimates at times - namely Cable and Bishop - to make them more like the ones I wanted.

And as for Control Art, the point of Control Art is a plan for what they want,but sometimes that doesn't cost out or isn't feasible. Yeah, it sucks. But it happens. At least from what I understand about control art...

I want a plain expression like the half of the second mask shows. Sure, the angry mask is symmetrical, but I want a regular expression with symmetry like the one shown in the control art and on the back of the box, the twitch is okay. I just want both of the masks to be symmetrical, I really don't care about the expression in one eye. The black area on his left eye on the second mask did NOT need to be smaller.

Edited by Dio

I want a plain expression like the half of the second mask shows. Sure, the angry mask is symmetrical, but I want a regular expression with symmetry like the one shown in the control art and on the back of the box, the twitch is okay. I just want both of the masks to be symmetrical, I really don't care about the expression in one eye. The black area on his left eye on the second mask did NOT need to be smaller.

all i hear is wahhh wahh wahh bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan

it is a GREAT minimate jebus

moc847

moc847

you come up with the best posts ever,you know that.

moc847

you come up with the best posts ever,you know that.

No no. That would be BHM. MoC just tells it like it is...occasionally sober. ;)

And i'm sorry Dio...in the politest way possible i pretty much agree with MoC...Deadpool was fantastic. So a little details were forgotten; why nitpick when DST gaves us such a great figure??

Deadpool is by far one of my favorites, if not my favorite thus far. I think they hit every detail head on, from the Deadpool insignia on his belt to his tons o' weapons, there isn't much to complain about. He is extremely comic accurate, and they portrayed him flawlessly in mate' format.

Except his feet, mine has dysfunctional feet.

Deadpool is by far one of my favorites, if not my favorite thus far. I think they hit every detail head on, from the Deadpool insignia on his belt to his tons o' weapons, there isn't much to complain about. He is extremely comic accurate, and they portrayed him flawlessly in mate' format.

I have to disagree. Look at the shoulders and hands they gave us. THIS is Deadpool:

post-2183-1251608669_thumb.jpg

MoC, if you cared to look at the pictures I've taken you wouldn't be posting like a shithead.

Things they got right:

Angry mask

Scarred face

Chest block

Belt

Harness

wristbands

Legs

Feet

Most of the equipment

Things they got WRONG:

The second mask

WHICH IS DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE SHOWN ON THE BACK OF THE BOX AND IS MISSING THE DETAIL ON THE BACK

^for those of you lazy to read.

arms

hands

swords

I need to vent because I have a different opinion and different expectations from the rest of you. So far Bob is the only one that agrees with me. I'm unhappy with the way DST showed us the control art and gave us this mask, and the Dark Avengers Hawkeye mask. We have our differences, so if you can't be constructive then just please GTFO. I have anticipated this figure for a very long time and like I said, it was a letdown for me. If what DST has done with the figure is good enough for you, then that's okay. Just know that it could have been done better with better details like the other recently released figures. Deadpool was one of the most requested figures, and personally even though they made the character, that doesn't qualify it as a good figure.

Just because we get a character made but isn't done justice doesn't mean you can say "Well you should be grateful we got him at least." Should we not complain about Iron Spidey because he was made, even though he's missing mechanical arms and some paint?

If DST came out with Kang but was done badly, you would all be raising hell. Thor was heavily requested and his boots aren't even the same yellow.

I have to disagree. Look at the shoulders and hands they gave us. THIS is Deadpool:

post-2183-1251608669_thumb.jpg

MoC, if you cared to look at the pictures I've taken you wouldn't be posting like a shithead.

Things they got right:

Angry mask

Scarred face

Chest block

Belt

Harness

wristbands

Legs

Feet

Most of the equipment

Things they got WRONG:

The second mask

WHICH IS DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE SHOWN ON THE BACK OF THE BOX AND IS MISSING THE DETAIL ON THE BACK

^for those of you lazy to read.

arms

hands

swords

I need to vent because I have a different opinion and different expectations from the rest of you. So far Bob is the only one that agrees with me. I'm unhappy with the way DST showed us the control art and gave us this mask, and the Dark Avengers Hawkeye mask. We have our differences, so if you can't be constructive then just please GTFO. I have anticipated this figure for a very long time and like I said, it was a letdown for me. If what DST has done with the figure is good enough for you, then that's okay. Just know that it could have been done better with better details like the other recently released figures. Deadpool was one of the most requested figures, and personally even though they made the character, that doesn't qualify it as a good figure.

Just because we get a character made but isn't done justice doesn't mean you can say "Well you should be grateful we got him at least." Should we not complain about Iron Spidey because he was made, even though he's missing mechanical arms and some paint?

If DST came out with Kang but was done badly, you would all be raising hell. Thor was heavily requested and his boots aren't even the same yellow.

yep i read all of your arguments, and you still just sound like an ungratelful whiny brat.

In fact, i really feel like this whole thread is a waste of time. The mask they provided is 10 times better than the control art. It completely fits the deadpool character...

and the next time you feel like calling me names, and when you're in the main chamber, try and use the big boy voice, okay?

moc847