UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dark Avengers set 30% off at TRU.com

groundhog7s

I still don't understand why TRU would choose an online-only release for this (or anything really). I mean 2000 sets (minus the ones sold at SDCC), with no international shipping... if they're not moving enough units (which this suggests they're not), how about using that handy national toystore chain they have just sitting around?

Actually, I think they had 3000 of these. I really thin something that hurt it was the price. It was $4-$6 more than any other SDCC exclusive and then you've got to tack on shipping if you get it on-line. Especially since their other exclusive (Secret Wars) is $13.99.

If they insisnt on keeping them as an online exclusive, they'd be doing a butt-load more business is they shipped internationally <_<

Seriously. Limiting the product availability cuts off a good chunk of the fanbase and potential sales.

SON OF A

I *just* sucked it up and ordered that set (and a bunch of others to get up to $50 for free shipping) last week!

kick in the crotch indeed.

...and I just noticed the Secret Wars set is no longer up for pre-order........

You can return unopened stuff to them for a full refund, I believe. Possibly even to a "brick and mortar" TRU. Then, just re-order them.

I ordered my set with a GI Joe Online Exclusive Zartan (9.99) and got free shipping. Worked out thusly...

Price: $29.98

Shipping: $0.00

Sales Tax: $1.87

Total: $31.85

The newly discounted minimates set works out to $18.96 with shipping added. Minimates + Zartan + Shipping is $29.51. Thus my total for the same order, new pricing works thusly...

Price: $23.97

Shipping: $5.54

Sales Tax: $1.87

Total: $31.38

So I lost a dollar on my minimates but still got free shipping on my Zartan, which I planned to buy anyway, and ended up at a net loss of 47 cents... so... big whoop. I'll live.

Now the question I guess becomes... would I still have bought Zartan if I didn't need to total over $20 for free shipping. I suppose the answer is no, since I was shopping for Minimates at the time, not Joes, but I DID want Zartan anyway, so I have no remorse in buying him *Shrug*.

Basically all they've done here is knock a dollar off the net amount of money they were already making on the minimates, and made it look like they actually knocked more off by forcing you to pay shipping again. People do it on ebay all the time. The minimates, by themselves, cost almost the same amount of money... now you just aren't forced to buy a second additional item to get over $20.

So I guess the dilemma here lies in whether or not YOU as an individual bought something you were comfortable buying in addition to the minimates under the old deal. If you merely tacked something onto the minimates you didn't really want, JUST to get free shipping... whose really to blame here? You said to yourself, "I want these minimates now. I want free shipping. So I'm going to buy something else I don't really want to get free shipping." If you bought something you wanted, like I did *Shrug* It's not a big loss. If you bought something you didn't really need, like a second dark avengers set, then suddenly you feel cheated because you chose to pay an extra $19.99 for something you never needed to begin with.

I'm not trying to get all preechy here mind you, I just tend to babble on theorizing things. I'm sure there are some people who got a way worse deal than I did, and some who may even have got a better deal.

In any case, chalk it up to buyer beware I guess. *Shrug*

You can always return them and re-order. If you have the patience for it. I don't, so I'm eating the 47 cents. :P

Edited by Gillbob316

WHY?! I NEED THAT SET. AND THAT SET IS NOW LESS THEN IT WAS BEFORE?! My Life Is Ruined. <_<

You need it...and it costs less...shouldn't you be rejoicing seeing as how you can get it cheaper now?? :blink:

Right. The rest of us impatient dum-dums should be bitching. ;) I waited about two weeks after they were released(lack of funds) to order and BAM!! they cut the price. :(

this set is also available in the UK, at play.com for £12.99

that said, the 'release date' was supposed to be this week, and its moved back to next week.

Tell me about it. If the 30% drop is due to the stock not shifting, it annoys me even more that Play keeps pushing it back. Surely if there's surplus stock they could send some to Play to satisfy the orders!

I understand why they'd want to make this set exclusive, but I agree with those who say making them harder to come by reduces the number of sales.