UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bring Comic Covers/Scenes to Life! Minimate Style!!!

AdyCarter

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while we're nitpicking alternative prizes again, rather than be vague, I'm just gonna flat out ask...

Is a Mini-Javelin C3 set an option as an alternative? (Because those things are hard to come by and go for tons on the secondary market these days. Possibly more then a Maximate. I want Flash and Manhunter. *Cries*)

I know you said -any- set twice, so it should be by that description, but what with the rarity and scarceness of that particular set these days, I had to get it confirmed in solid stone, just to appease my ever curious brain.

And if so, Where the hell are you getting extra Mini-Javelins that you can just give'm away!?! Hook me up! Gimmie a number! I can't find one for a decent price to save my life. Hehe...

Again, I don't know that I'd necissarily choose one if I won, but it's something to heavily consider.

So while we're nitpicking alternative prizes again, rather than be vague, I'm just gonna flat out ask...

Is a Mini-Javelin C3 set an option as an alternative? (Because those things are hard to come by and go for tons on the secondary market these days. Possibly more then a Maximate. I want Flash and Manhunter. *Cries*)

I know you said -any- set twice, so it should be by that description, but what with the rarity and scarceness of that particular set these days, I had to get it confirmed in solid stone, just to appease my ever curious brain.

And if so, Where the hell are you getting extra Mini-Javelins that you can just give'm away!?! Hook me up! Gimmie a number! I can't find one for a decent price to save my life. Hehe...

Again, I don't know that I'd necissarily choose one if I won, but it's something to heavily consider.

Javelins do count :P

You win, you can take a Javelin

As for where they come from....

Javelins do count :P

You win, you can take a Javelin

As for where they come from....

You're supposed to say, " They fell off a truck. < _ < > _ > < _ < "

Hehe...

I steal them from sporting arenas.

Why so many minimate fans want a Javelin is beyond me :P

I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally, I could really give a crap about the Javelin, all my C3 sets except the Batmobile are still in their baggies, it's Flash and Martian Manhunter that I want.

I mean C3 is discontinued now, and neither of them are slated for the DC Minimates sets as far as I know, and until those sets are released we really don't know how well those will do past the first three waves anyway, or if either character will ever see a re-release in those sets.

As a Marvel fan, Marvel sets I always buy immediately upon finding them, but I personally, didn't buy a single C3 set (except the batglider because I love Catwoman) until they all started getting marked 75% off at Toys R Us. As such I still managed to get everything from the first series except the Mini-Batmobile, and the 5 mini-flyers who aren't Flash. (Hooray for $10 Batcaves btw) But many sets had grown scarce by then, so I thusly missed the series 2 sets, the Mini-Javelin, the Batcycle & the Batcopter.

Soooo... I have pretty much every DC character made except Man-Bat, Robin, and those two. Now, the batcopter I'm not worried about too much, because it just had another wacky Batman variant, so "Meh." (But those go for quite a bit of $ these days too in the hardcore collector market) The Man-Bat and Robin sets still pop up on ebay fairly regularly, so their prices stay fairly low, and I imagine I'll get them eventually. Mini-Javelins however, almost never pop up, and are the only way for some of us who want every character to get Martian Manhunter, and one of only 2 ways to get Flash, the other being the mini-flyer which is just as rare, and was even hard to find when it was still in stores.

The last Flash I saw on ebay was a loose one, and he went for $30+. I can only imagine what Manhunter would cost if one ever actually came up.

So that's my motivation... in any event...

SINCE I'm a completionist, and want them all eventually, I just wonder if a Javelin might be more cost-effective then a maximate in the long run... is all. Which is a shame, considering their original retail prices.

If only Javelins could somehow be made cheaply available to the minimate fan masses again. :(

BUT, I've pulled this thread waaaaay too off topic now, so... someone post another entry and get us going again! Hehe...

I have to agree with Gillbob's assessment of the appeal. Personally I have half a bookcase of Marvel but only a small stack of DC trades but those DC trades are all Batman/Superman/Justice League and the Javelin has two characters that might never otherwise be released (don't wanna jinx DC, just saying it how it is)

If I was in with a chance I'd probably want a Javelin too.

Erm Guys.... All this fuss over what you can get as a prize is kinda sad.

It's a contest that is being run out of the goodness of Ady and his teams heart, they are paying for these prizes to be available it's not some dodgy corporate tax write off.

I'm just saying the prizes as stated are pretty awesome considering they are being given away by a fan site.. .lets not look a gift horse in the mouth huh?

T.

Erm Guys.... All this fuss over what you can get as a prize is kinda sad.

It's a contest that is being run out of the goodness of Ady and his teams heart, they are paying for these prizes to be available it's not some dodgy corporate tax write off.

I'm just saying the prizes as stated are pretty awesome considering they are being given away by a fan site.. .lets not look a gift horse in the mouth huh?

T.

Oh trust me, I know exactly what you're saying, and I more then appreciate this wonderful opportunity they've presented. These are just things that weigh heavily on my mind is all. And I fully agree that the prizes are spectacular and the opportunity is wonderfully appreciated. If they suddenly said, "Okay, forget the alternate prizes, they're gone now" I'd still be wonderfully appreciative of this contest they've given us.

But is the point of the alternate prize options not to give an option to those who might be less interested in a Maximate, because they may have one already or something to that effect? It is still an art competition afterall, it's not as if the entrants aren't doing some work here too. If anyone else is like me, we all spent days on these entries, and most of us will walk away with nothing. It's not unfair of us to have a bit of curiousity and anticipation about the glory and riches that might be in our futures. Hehe...

I feel like a kid a few days before Christmas frankly, looking under the tree, and wondering what could be there. And as we all know, kids full of X-Mas anticipation can quickly end up looking ungrateful, even if they don't mean to be. *Shrug*

I was just looking for a little clarification as all.

It's not as if I was trying to say, "Hey Ady! Screw your prizes. Give me cash!"

I am MORE, far far MORE then anxious and excited about this contest, and I love Minimate Multiverse for presenting it. Heck it gave me a reason to come out of my lurker shadows and make an account. :D

My extreme apologies to Ady, and everyone, if I came off as anything but appreciative of this super wonderful contest. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity, and best of luck to all my fellow entrants.

Well, Ady's gonna post my cover here soon, so I might as well say what I've gotta say now.

My cover turned out alright. I wish I didn't have to cut as many corners as I did, but my wife and I just had our second baby last week and things are... Hectic.

Anyways, my cover ISN'T XMen, instead (this ones for you Cyc)... It's Booster Gold. Hopefully that get s me ONE vote. ;)

Anyways, here goes nothin':

mm5215internetpy1.th.jpg52cv15nstnj7.th.jpg

(click for larger versions)

Yeah Kilgore I view your sentiments as well, its not the winning that counts its the taking part :) Bringing the spirit of the board into a contest that everyone can enjoy.

Everyone has done a classic entry and Ady is right when he says they should all win, but we're all winners in the end as we had fun doing it <G>

cheers,

Totalus

P.S Sorry about the cheese.

Here is my entry, the cover from Marvels #3. I painted the image of the minimate Silver Surfer with block-style asteroids using watercolors. Then I scanned it and combined the image with a photo I took of the Silver Surfer minimate. Finally, I added the Human Torch picture and the border. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. :)

Marvels03.jpg

Marvels3Minimates.jpg

Just when I think I'm already screwed out of any chances of seeing even one Maximate, Luke has to go and do a Ross cover. You b*st*rd.

I had originally thought to do the cover to Dark Knight Returns, but then I saw the thread in the DC forum where everyone blasted it so I didn't expect to get many votes for it.

I realize it's simply a matter of opinion...

...but who in their right mind "blasted" Dark Knight Returns!? ...Strikes Again, I can understand (though, personally, I like his artwork better in the sequel), but DKR!?

It's beloved by billions of comic fans. Do you honestly mean to tell me the only comic fans that somehow dislike Miller's seminal work coincide here!?

I can honestly say I'm baffled.

KG, I'd still love to see what you had in mind for it...

The Frank Miller Playa Hater's Thread

Although to be honest I agree that Strikes was a weak sequel and that All Star isn't worth the paper its being printed on. Returns as a stand-alone story is as good a Batman story as I ever expect to read (Until Loeb surpasses him)

KG, I'd still love to see what you had in mind for it...

I got my Batcave in the mail last night so I'll see what I can put together. Unlike the Batcave itself which was missing a handful of blocks. Grrr!