UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ask DST at AA forum

Danny

The "Ask DST" at the AA forum has been updated with its Minimates Q&A HERE

As always, not a great deal of concrete info, but several newsworthy tidbits:

Can you give us a rough estimate of when waves 12-13 will be ready?

DSTChuck : Fall of this year.

X-Men 3 minimates, are these still a possibility, or is the demand not there to get these produced?

DSTChuck: We at DST never say never but as for demand X-Men movie stuff has tons of life don't you think..

So perhaps there is still a chance at X3 Minimates.

Hmmm, for some reason Im half expecting a Movie X-Men Team box set to suddenly appear from nowhere.

I'm feeling grumpy and pessimistic this morning. Too much has been announced without ever coming to life. Wasn't Batman Begins a possibility at one point? I think X-Men 3 is this year's Batman Begins.

(Ok, the comments on the SF2 wave 2 really bummed me out. Especially since I paid for a case of them in pre-order back in March.)

Hmmm, for some reason Im half expecting a Movie X-Men Team box set to suddenly appear from nowhere.

I'm feeling grumpy and pessimistic this morning. Too much has been announced without ever coming to life. Wasn't Batman Begins a possibility at one point? I think X-Men 3 is this year's Batman Begins.

(Ok, the comments on the SF2 wave 2 really bummed me out. Especially since I paid for a case of them in pre-order back in March.)

Holy Shit!!!!

Not again! I sooo wanted wave 2. I am so f'ning sick of minimates getting pushed back or cancelled...then the news about sculpted heads on the cereal mates. The DC mates getting resolicited... I just can't even see a light at the end of the tunnel. This news sucks ASS, but it is about what i expect anymore.

DSTChuck: We at DST never say never but as for demand X-Men movie stuff has tons of life don't you think..

[/i]

They also promised us big things this year for Marvel, but all we've seen is Battle-Damaged Unmasked Spiderman.

No, this line is on the ropes and the fight hasn't even started yet. We've seen art for the Ghost Rider movie and for Rocky mates, but nothing for X3. I'm not getting my hopes up until I see an advertisement selling them (not pre-ordering them)

Is it just me or does the guy who answears all the minimate questions for DST seem really annoying. I mean come on... his answears are always abrupt " yes or nos" with no elaboration EVER! Would it kill him to throw us some actual information instead of "maybes, we'll have to wait and see..., it all depends on..., we never say never..." .

Hey DST guy, if you don't have anything worthy to tell, why do you even bother answearing our questions. Based of all your answears I've read in the past, I can tell that you'd really like to pass the Q&A off on to someone else. Do us all a favour, put up or shut up!

So you'd prefer shut up then?

Much like the Tony Tiger incident, those who are willing/allowed to talk to us have great limitations on what they can actually tell us. The whole thing is much more a situation of "DST goes out to various forums to listen to the fans!" than "DST provides the inside scoop!"

It's also why I try to come up with questions other than stock ones which will never get a straight answer (release dates/characters/direction of line)

Is it just me or does the guy who answears all the minimate questions for DST seem really annoying. I mean come on... his answears are always abrupt " yes or nos" with no elaboration EVER! Would it kill him to throw us some actual information instead of "maybes, we'll have to wait and see..., it all depends on..., we never say never..." .

Hey DST guy, if you don't have anything worthy to tell, why do you even bother answearing our questions. Based of all your answears I've read in the past, I can tell that you'd really like to pass the Q&A off on to someone else. Do us all a favour, put up or shut up!

You're missing the point.... the Q&A is there for fun, Chuck does it as a favour to the fans... so lightenup...

No company with any savvy is going to give away all thier secrets to a fan site when they can either get money from magazines or publish on their own site....

My advice would be to take the Q&A for what it is, chcuk just having a bit of fun with the odd cryptic clue or two not some huge news source... cos thats not going to happen.

T.

You're missing the point.... the Q&A is there for fun, Chuck does it as a favour to the fans... so lightenup...

No company with any savvy is going to give away all thier secrets to a fan site when they can either get money from magazines or publish on their own site....

My advice would be to take the Q&A for what it is, chcuk just having a bit of fun with the odd cryptic clue or two not some huge news source... cos thats not going to happen.

T.

Well said. I'd also add that he tries to be witty on purpose to have fun.

I think boards like Mezco and (RIP) Palisades (and even the earliest days of AA) have spoiled us. These maverick toy companies get out there and do what other venerable companies wouldn't which was to actually engage their end consumers one-on-one. I mean, I would LOVE to chat up Hasbro and Mattel about Star Wars and JLU the way I did Digger with Star Trek back in the day.

Now these companies are starting to learn what their more experienced counterparts already knew; don't say too much because toy buyers – young or old – generally can't handle the truth. Most people don't like change at all, but when you build up all sorts of expectations only to have something fall through, and for no fault of your own, folks tend to bame you anyway.

I've been saying for YEARS that wish lists are nice when presented to manufacturers, but they really need to be sent to the retailers because they're the ones who decide what we as end consumers get offered. That's a crappy reality but there it is.

Case in point, AA wanted to offer all four Deluxe Enterprise figure sets at once, evenly packed, so that collectors could buy them all at once and build the bridge set in its entirety without having to wait for the next wave. The retailers (presumably TRU) balked, preferring to sell only two different SKUs and wait to see how they sold. It turned into a "chicken & the egg" scenario; retailers wanted fans to commit to the first wave before deciding to offer the next but fans were reluctant to buy the first wave not knowing if the retailers would commit to offering the other two sets and completing the collection. And AA was stuck in the middle dealing with eroding consumer confidence.

That said, we've now got Hasbro doing weekly Q&A's with Star Wars collectors from different FAN sites (not just the official site). They're offering up pretty much the same rote rsponses that DST is infamous for divulging but once in a while there's a nugget of gold in there that makes it worthwhile.

Personally I got sick of all the questions about very specific figures and when they were going to get made. Seems that after a year's worth of Q&A'a, people would take the hint that this is not an exact science and that at the last minute any amount of shit can hit the fan and wreak havok with an entire wave. But folks keep asking the same kinds of questions time and again.

One thing I always wanted to do was follow the progress of a Minimate from concept to shelf, assuming it made it that far. I think this would be a real eye-opener for hard-core collectors and give everyone a look into the workings of licensed product development.

One thing I always wanted to do was follow the progress of a Minimate from concept to shelf, assuming it made it that far. I think this would be a real eye-opener for hard-core collectors and give everyone a look into the workings of licensed product development.

Word! That's always been a dream of mine, it would be just plain cool.