UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

5 Reasons Why Comic-Con Sucks

karamazov80

Having never been, I don't know how true or untrue any of this is, but after reading this, SDCC seems like a pretty miserable place to go!

Regular crowds are bad enough, but hoards of excited, sweaty geeks running around would be a true nightmare.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/five-reas...-con-sucks-7383

Edited by karamazov80

hmmm some of those are true and some less so, the guy was obviously asked to write a negative piece on comic con and had to spin it somehow.

5) Nightmare lines to get in! - Partly true but not as bad as he makes out, only those who are stupid have issues finding where to go and lines move pretty quickly. This year is should be even easier/less confusion as there will be no tickets sold onsite.

4) Yeah they are grumpy as fuck... but given their job is to keep people out of certain areas and stop the geeks rampaging why should they be information centers or know where everything is in a venue that's like quarter of a mile long hen they are drafted in to the event like everyone else.

3)Hall H - Yeah the simple answer to that one is don't bother... at peak it can be a 3 hr wait to get in. There are so many other cool things to see elsewhere that it's just not worth it. The bigger the panel ( esp for TV or movie) the more likely that it will fill up early, any SDCC VET knows this and plans accordingly.

2) I dispute this! the Fat/inapproriately dressed fan boys are one of the best parts of SDCC, it's good to feel normal when you have bag loads of toys are trying to get across to the other side of the con to see a panel about and obscure comic book guy.

1) I call Bullshit on this one too- All of the big companies have fairly hefty stands and pretty much anyone in the comic industry is there in some form or another. Yes as time has gone by TV/Movie/toy/video games have grown and are now a very large presence but It just makes the whole experience soo much richer for being about a variety of different geeky things :)

I think people who have not been do not fully understand what a unique and amazing event it is, no other con even comes close to it and everyone who loves comics or toys/collectables etc really should do it at least once if they can. ( ideally twice as the first time can be a little overwhelming!)

My name is TBT! and I am a 5 time SDCC veteran who is extremely sad he cannot make it this year!

T.

As long as Chicago Comic-Con is alive and kicking, I don't think I'll ever have a reason to fly across the country for that.

Besides, all of the news is brought to the internet and exclusives are 90% of the time available elsewhere.

Edited by the punisher=D

Ever since I was a wee young lad, I have wanted to go to SDCC. I still haven't made it (boo hoo), but these drawbacks won't get in my way. Because really, those 5 things pretty perfectly describe my experience everytime I go see a weekend movie. Ridiculously long lines that ultimately lead to a clusterf*ck that only leads to more long lines? Check. Useless "Security"? I'll count the usher that says, "Ok, that will be in Theater 15 on the left" as he points me to the right when really my movie is in Theater 22 straight ahead. Hall H? That sounds pretty much like every theater ever only at the movies it's rude to ask the celebrities questions, yet plenty of tools still do. Fat People? Check, check, and check. Where are the comics (movies)? After watching 15 minutes of shampoo commercials when I just paid $10 for one matinee show ticket, that's how I feel.

If I can go through all of that to see The Proposal, I am sure it is worth it for Comic-Con, even if it is amplified. Yeah, we get it on the internet and exclusives are available later, but that just can't be a substitute. It's COMIC-CON. The geek mecca. The pilgrimage is essential for enlightenment.

Obviously it's just one person's point of view. If he doesn't like crowds, he should just have kept his skinny butt at home. I think most of what was picked at is expected. I like it when a comic writer put it simply once, SDCC is like the Super Bowl, WWC is more like an All-Star game of writers/artists.

As long as Chicago Comic-Con is alive and kicking, I don't think I'll ever have a reason to fly across the country for that.

Besides, all of the news is brought to the internet and exclusives are 90% of the time available elsewhere.

You probably won't have a reason but I'll say this, I go to WWC(Chicago Comic-Con) every year and I wish could go to SDCC every year instead, it's totally a different ball game and more exciting. I'm pissed at the fact that WWC no longer gets any exclusives that interest me at all. I'm gonna try for NYCC next year to see how's that.

My wife and I are 3 year vets and like TBT, regretable won't be attending. I'll 2nd that TBT's assessment is spot on and half the fun. Do I wish that they'd rework some of their floor layouts to accomodate the crowds to some of the empty upstairs? You betcha :D I'd also love it if some of the big guns could get a nice system down to control the amount of time you spend in line. Hasbro adopted a nice system where you get a ticket for like a 2 hour block and I can't remember if Mattel did the same or not, since I always hit them on Saturday or Sunday of the show. It'd also be nice if all of the autograph sessions were in one place to cut down on the congestion on the floor. But as TBT pointed out, this is all part of the experience. I still remember my wife asking if I wanted to go to SDCC or the Vegas Trek Con back in 05(Our 1st time) and me saying SDCC. I think she was expecting it to be Trek, since I'm a big fan. Once we got there though and starting running around and meeting folks, she signed us up for the following year before we ever left town :lol: Hall H, we've never bothered, even when Trish had the opportunity to meet The Rock. Most of this stuff is covered by someone online and you don't miss too much. I recommend everyone to go at least once, because there's something for everyone :thumbsup:

Comic Con is a blast.

The lines for Hall H are LONG, but I was able to get into every presentation I wanted to see (and I saw many). While I enjoyed Hall H presentations, I do agree that it feels like you lose too much time when you go to them. One a day is good.

I honestly didn't notice a higher than normal percentage of FAT people at Comic Con. Speaking as someone living in the tourist capital of the world, I can vouch that the American population in general has many fat people. I think you will see just as many fat people in Disneyland as you will at Comic Con. So if you are offended by the hefty set, I recommend leaving the Western world.

What is most bothersome is the stench on the vendor floor by the final two days. It's not unbearable, it's just that every so often you get an aromatic blast from some dude who's been partying for three days and hasn't showered.

I never noticed any rude security.

I thought everything was very well organized.

I like the growth and addition of TV, videogames, and movies. More goodness. They just need a bigger Convention Center.

Thanks a lot Sam I'm now getting pangs of withdrawal after reading all this. I bloody wish I was going & I wish that everybody on here was going ....even TM2Dinobot :P There are some great characters here & having met a few last year I'll tell you this....that's what makes SDCC what it is ,a meeting of kindred souls ....& me meeting Shocker toys in the hotel lobby :D

Perhaps the funniest (for me anyway) post-SDCC moment for me was in a PM conversation between myself & The Donster where he stated that .."I don't really remember you". :(

Lucky guy lucky guy :D .......& he is as well with his new bonny bairn!!

SDCC ? Go just go! :yes:

I call shenanigans BHM :lol: I totally remember you. You and TBT came up to the mrs and I when we were at the AFX booth, where TBT gave notice that this was a Minimate intervention and he'd have to confiscate the contents of my bag and ask me to step away from the booth :pinch: