UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Universe Classics

There are gonna be some angryyyyyyy folks on The Fwoosh. This year's SDCC Exclusive:

sncfvp.jpg

With removable hood. Now, i happen to LOVE this. I love the Captain Marvel redesign, i love the back-up in Justice League, i never bothered with the God-awful older figure (available too many times), i have old Black Adam and i plan on getting DCC New 52 Black Adam. This is PERFECT for me.

That said, i was pushing for Granny Goodness. She's so upsettingly absent from the line and the Fourth World. But this works for me.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, I really dig the new story and new look!

There are gonna be some angryyyyyyy folks on The Fwoosh. This year's SDCC Exclusive:

sncfvp.jpg

With removable hood. Now, i happen to LOVE this. I love the Captain Marvel redesign, i love the back-up in Justice League, i never bothered with the God-awful older figure (available too many times), i have old Black Adam and i plan on getting DCC New 52 Black Adam. This is PERFECT for me.

That said, i was pushing for Granny Goodness. She's so upsettingly absent from the line and the Fourth World. But this works for me.

Yes, let's see what they're saying on the Fwoosh... MY EYES OH GOD MY EYES!!!!!

*AHEM* No, they aren't happy. Can't say I'm thrilled, either, as I'm not buying the new 52 stuff. On the other hand...one less thing to buy. I don't think I've bought a Mattel exclusive in three years now.

• 2 months later...

I think the problem with the new 52 stuff is most folks don't have the same attachment they have with the old DCU hellpop. I like the look of Shazam, but I'm not going to go out my way to pick him up. I was able to find a Hawkman that Target was clearancing out for around $11 and some change. This was a fair price, still, I think these are basically $10 toys. If it doesn't come with a BAF/C&C piece it isn't worth $15 to me. Would be nice if I could find the rest of the JLA that have been released, but I'm sure some of the local guys have already scooped them up. So let's talk about the sub. Anyone renewing with what they've announced so far? Some of the characters are nice, but I don't think it is enough to make people pick it up. In some ways it kind of feels like Matty is sitting on their hands a bit. Because I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty damn sure that the cyro suit had a prototype ages ago and the regular Doomsday is just about recasting from what they've already done. Nothing new to see there. I have the same feeling about the line up that I have with the new 52. There's no real attachment for me. I stopped reading JLA about the time they introduced Vibe. Because of it, I think I'm done with the sub. No incentive for me to re-up for another year. I'll cherry pick and take my chances.

I reupped, more out of wanting to continue the line then anything they showed (I do like Ice quite a bit, though). Since the sub is now the only outlet for these figures, that was enough incentive for me to renew.

I haven't yet, but I plan to re-up before the end of the week. Mostly because I think it would be wrong to have Fire and not Ice, but also for the reason hellpop mentioned. I don't really want the line to be over.

Edited by Glantern

Don't get me wrong. I want the sub to go through too. Unfortunately I'm also tired of the figure selections. This year was particularly bad and I just can't keep jumping blindly into this line. Every board I belong to has been clammoring for a Mera figure and we still haven't seen her. So far there is nothing I can't live without and that is sad for someone who's collected the line from day 1.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this might be the end. Last year, if I remember, it was looking pretty dire, but then a last minute push got us to the minimum. But this year, it just seems like it's not in the cards. I will never understand the amount of venom from the collecting community that gets directed at Mattel, and Scott in particular. Dude really puts up with a lot.

Just 3 days to go before the signup period closes. If you haven't heard, Mattel announced they are adding the Damian Wayne Robin figure that was cancelled with the Batman retail line as the December figure. He's a really nice figure, and I think this is a great move by Mattel. Hopefully, it's not too little, too late.

Apologies for the rant. Most who know me know I don't usually do this, but If it is going through it is going on without me. This year kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth and Matty's business model is starting to grind on the nerves. I can understand asking folks to blind buy the first year, but for 3 years straight? C'mon, roll with the times and make announcement on who is in the sub. It looks a little Batman heavy this year, which I'm a fan of. As far as Doomsday? I like the containment suit version. I kind of feel if they had flip flopped them they'd have a better response since so many people want a new Doomsday. Unlike Mallah, I think it is a wasted figure and not much retooling involved. Still, if it goes through I'll have to cherry pick from month to month. Nothing is blowing my socks off.

Well, Matty just posted what looks to be the final thermometer for the DC Sub: http://www.clubs.mattycollector.com/store/mattycol/en_US/pd/ThemeID.29372800/productID.282669000#.UhOzXZJQEb0

At 63%, it looks like the line is well and truly done. I can't help but think if they had actually been updating their thermometer with some regularity yesterday, and not just leaving it sitting there at a discouraging 51% all day, they may have faired a little better. But what do I know?

Mattel hasn't made any official announcement. Maybe Toy Guru will trot out his "I pushed it through just for you guys" line again, but I really don't know.

Sounds dead to me. If it had come anywhere close to the line, I could see Mattel going ahead, or extending the sub window, but that's not even 2/3 of the way there. Frankly, I will miss the line, but not the incredible bitchfest that accompanied Club IE. If Batzarro is the last figure released in this line, it seems somehow appropriate.

I'm guessing (or hoping) that they'll just sell Aquaman, Ice, and Superboy (maybe Damien?) day-of only, since they're all tooled. I subbed late, LATE last night, and almost immediately regretted it. I dunno, i fully support the line, i want it continue, and i want to keep growing my DC Collection, but i'm just feeling so ambivalent anymore. We wrapped up some great releases for the rest of this year, and my last real big want is getting taken care of with Superboy.

If it goes through, great. If not, i can't say i'm shocked or disappointed.

"Club Infinite Earths & Ecto-1 Pre-Order

Every super hero knows you can’t win ‘em all and we’re sorry to say we did not reach our goal for the DCU 2014 Club Infinite Earths subscription. We also did not reach our goal for the Ecto-1 pre-order. We’d like to say a HUGE thank you to all the fans for waging such a good, strong fight. It will take us a while to figure out where we can go from here. It may be possible to release a few DCU figures quarterly, or to release 12 figures at higher non-subscription prices. Or, we may have to say a final goodbye to this line at the end of this year. Without the sub, we just don’t know what’s possible at this point. Over the next few months we’ll be meeting internally and with all of our partners at Warner Bros., DC Comics, and Sony, and we’ll let you know as soon as we can what our options are."

I think the whole thing just ended up being more trouble then it was worth. They'd done a very good job in filling out the DCU with the regular line, so there was never going to be a way make everyone happy. For everyone that said "this guy's essential", there was someone else to say "no he isn't, this guy is". I think getting a new figure a month really robbed the line of a lot of it's fun, and when you consider that most of them were fairly lackluster figures, with few accessories... it was more of a commitment then anything, and a hobby should never be that way. When I look back on the sub, I can't say that there were many rank among my favorites. Mirror Master, maybe? Huntress will probably be there too. And I'm glad we finished off the Metal Men, and the Doom Patrol, and the Marvel Family. But ultimately, the whole thing became a pain. I do hope that they go to a 12 figures at a higher price model; I'd be glad to pay a little more for the figures I want to be able to skip the ones I don't. For this sub, the only two I wanted were Ice and Damian; I was signing up more out of obligation that anything. Again... that's not what a hobby should be.

The only thing I really think Mattel should have done but didn't with DCUC was the Teen Titans. They didn't do the original team from the '60s-'70s, they did a hodgepodge of characters from different eras (young kid Flash in the yellow outfit, modern Beast Boy, full sized Cyborg in his New Teen Titans look), and neglected Aqualad and Speedy entirely. Too bad, as that is probably my favorite DC team, and would have probably kept those figures while selling off my others. Of course, the Minimates treated them with the same level of disinterest, so I guess it isn't so strange.

See, now I didn't want to see either one of those Tenime. Although I did want to see Mera finally get released in regular form. I also would have loved to see Granny Goodness finally be offered and would have loved to see the Teen Titans group too Karamazov. What is blowing my mind is the amount of hostility some of the MOTU collectors are showing towards the DCU one's on Facebook. One guy in particular is just giving them a black eyes with his puffy chest comments to DCU folks. While it is sad they'll probably charge a arm and a leg to finish the final 12 figures I'm trying to remain positive on the fact we had a pretty good run. Unfortunately if they go that route I'm out. There are plenty of other lines that are a bit more that produce a better quality figure for that amount of money.