UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

*Spoilers* The New Star Trek *Spoilers*

Saw the movie on Friday. It was excellent. Might go see it again!

Actually thinking about it, there is one guy I doubt will go into TV: Karl Urban. He's a bit big now after this and LOTR. I believe he's going to have a bit of a major kickoff soon.

To me, he seems like the kind of guy who could be a recognizable film actor (he already is to me), but will never be a major leading man even on the level of, say, an Edward Norton. I probably see him on par with a Tim Roth, Gabriel Byrne, or Nathan Fillion--decent actors who could have a fine career as 2nd tier film actors, but who I could also imagine turning to television for a steady paycheck. If a nice HBO drama or something came along, I wouldn't be surprised to see him taking it.

Of course, you never know with some guys. I couldn't have guessed that Matt Damon or Clooney would become the powerhouses that they did.

Guess what? I FINALLY saw it a few hours ago.

And yes, the film absolutely blew me away despite my just-cursory knowledge of the original series... weird luck then that I managed to get my bearings on the main crew last night while researching for the wiki (<_<)...

Mostly I was somewhat distracted by the direction they took with

Spock and Uhura

, and I also felt that

Kirk

actually LACKED some exposure or character development or whatever in the film, but otherwise I have to agree that this is one terrific (and going by the response to this thread, criminally underrated) movie. Now why can't we be this more optimistic about comic book adaptations? :P

P.S. A few random comments:

1. The opening sequence reminded me a little of

Finding Nemo

2. I almost lol'd at

the end of Olsen, the

red shirt guy

during the drill scene with Kirk and Sulu

Saw the movie on Friday. It was excellent. Might go see it again!

Actually thinking about it, there is one guy I doubt will go into TV: Karl Urban. He's a bit big now after this and LOTR. I believe he's going to have a bit of a major kickoff soon.

To me, he seems like the kind of guy who could be a recognizable film actor (he already is to me), but will never be a major leading man even on the level of, say, an Edward Norton. I probably see him on par with a Tim Roth, Gabriel Byrne, or Nathan Fillion--decent actors who could have a fine career as 2nd tier film actors, but who I could also imagine turning to television for a steady paycheck. If a nice HBO drama or something came along, I wouldn't be surprised to see him taking it.

Of course, you never know with some guys. I couldn't have guessed that Matt Damon or Clooney would become the powerhouses that they did.

Karl Urban,Tim Roth,Gabriel Byrne & Nathan Fillion all have one thing in common :whistling:

Karl Urban,Tim Roth,Gabriel Byrne & Nathan Fillion all have one thing in common :whistling:

I'm stumped! They are all from different countries, I don't think they were all in a movie together, Byrne was never in any real geek-worthy movie or show that I know of (unless you count "Usual Suspects" or "End of Days"). They are all white males.

Edited by karamazov80