UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What's your budget?

I've had to eliminate all Minimate purchases starting with the New Year but I'll grab variants if I can find them. My lists of needs to trade will grow this year, but I have a backlog of mint in box goodies I've been holding onto. New collectors will want to watch my trade list starting in March.

Ouch, sorry to hear that, Jatta. Sucks to quit cold turkey...

I haven't been able to buy ANY minimates, or most anything else in last year or so. Stupid adult responsibilites :(

Budget? This past year I actually had to make one because of others that had to depend on me. I actually stopped collecting non-minimate items and only get the non-minimate items I want. I sold the top layer of my minimate collection but I am still a completist for minimates (2/3 of a regular sets and 2/3 of the variant/promo/blank set). My rule for purchasing minimates is kinda simple - I will not use credit and only use cash. I have not found myself to put a limit on me buying something rare, except for maybe no more than 70% of a 2 two weeks paycheck? :wacko: of course it would have to be really rare. Life goes before minimates though.......

I spend far beyond my means, and so I have to make compromises on really important things (like conference travel) because of my habit of impulsively buying things that I don't really need :)

Yeah, right there with you on that one

Budget? This past year I actually had to make one because of others that had to depend on me. I actually stopped collecting non-minimate items and only get the non-minimate items I want. I sold the top layer of my minimate collection but I am still a completist for minimates (2/3 of a regular sets and 2/3 of the variant/promo/blank set). My rule for purchasing minimates is kinda simple - I will not use credit and only use cash. I have not found myself to put a limit on me buying something rare, except for maybe no more than 70% of a 2 two weeks paycheck? :wacko: of course it would have to be really rare. Life goes before minimates though.......

I am intrigued to know what you call 'the top layer' & what you would consider 'really rare' ?

Life goes before minimates though.......

I'm confused. . .life is not Minimates? :confused:

lol, only a part of life a huge part.

I am intrigued to know what you call 'the top layer' & what you would consider 'really rare' ?

By top layer I mean let's say I have 4-5 of everything in my collection, I sold my 4th or 5th set of my collection. If you stack up your mates per set they look layered ;) like a sandwich. :P didn't need that many and got more mates for them. :)

Really rare is subjective and to me it's the rarely unattainable, like single carded Bruce Lees or Spider-man or the Ozzy box set.

Btw, you'd have to be borderline insane to spend too much on something like a toy. People use to think I had no limit, even I do.

Really rare is subjective and to me it's the rarely unattainable, like single carded Bruce Lees or Spider-man or the Ozzy box set.

Btw, you'd have to be borderline insane to spend too much on something like a toy. People use to think I had no limit, even I do.

Thankyou for replying . I used to drool over your 'Have' list (when it was perhaps a tad more elaborate )when I was the newbie . Your definition of rare is also re-assuring & it's irony isn't lost on me :D

I buy all my minimates (Marvel, ST, BSG) by the case from my local comic book shop. All boxed sets I buy in threes. Luckily, I'm friends with the owner and have, over the past decade, been subject to a 20% discount for all my purchases (comics & toys). Another bonus is that the CBS owner runs a tab for his preferred customers. This SO helps with minimate purchases when funds are not available to me at that time.

Since I've started collecting minimates, I've moved in with my girlfriend, married her and bought our first home together. When I initially moved in with her I knew that my toy collecting habits were going to have to change. So, on January 1, 2008, I quit collecting Star Wars action figures (by my own choice). This was a tough step, since I had been collecting them since their reintroduction in 1995. I had a really good run with them and finished off by completing the coin series. I was sad, but the money freed up would help with my new life with my wife and allow me to keep collecting minimates as they took up less space, came out less frequently and (overall) cost less money.

for right now, I still get the sets that i want. But a car payment and other bills keep my minimate collecting down a bit. I need to cut down my expenses. But i still keep up with the sets and have a few dubles of some of the exclusive sets.