UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Before their time

As I was loking at all mini's we've gotten over the last couple of years I was wondering which marvel character came before their time.

My results were

1. Gwen Stacey

2. Silver Sable

3. Fire Star

I didn't put Marroku because she was a convention exclusive unlike the others.

how ever who would have replaced these characters?

Not quite sure what you mean there. Care to elaborate?

Vig

Yeah, I'm a bit confused myself. Are you asking which characters would have benefited from the more modern design process rather than the more simplistic one from back then? Are you asking which character was made that we really didn't need before another character? And why those three characters? Everyone has their own personal list of characters that they'd have liked to see differently or would rather ax in preference of another.

I figure Firestar came after her time, since she first appeared in the early 80s in Spiderman and His Amazing Friends, but better late than never :)

Also, didn't Gwen Stacy die in the 1960s? I assume (as per the death discussion on another thread) that she has been brought back to life for some stupid reason, so maybe that explains it. Were Firestar and Sable also killed and brought back to life?

Also, didn't Gwen Stacy die in the 1960s? I assume (as per the death discussion on another thread) that she has been brought back to life for some stupid reason, so maybe that explains it. Were Firestar and Sable also killed and brought back to life?

I'm not certain, as Spider-Continuity is a bit of a train wreck right now, but at the moment Gwen seems to very much still be dead. She still lives on in memories, flash backs, and the occasional alteration of reality to give Spider-Man his deepest desire (though how much of that still counts remains to be seen).

And neither of the other two are dead, or really have been that I'm aware. They're resting in the bottom of the Marvel barrel at the moment. Sable had a stint in a mini-series where she teamed with Dominic Fortune for whatever reason before quickly forgetting that that ever happened. Now she's teaming with a poorly drawn Domino and Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine (who is supposed to be a Skrull in the rest of the Marvel U right now, so who the hell knows) to hunt down the Punisher. As for Firestar, she had a brief appearance in Civil War: Frontline where she gave up super heroing, which makes no sense since mutants are supposed to be automatically registered anyway due to the whole 198 thing. I love Marvel, but dammit they can be confusing sometimes.

I think that what he/she is saying is which character would be a better minimate now then they were when they were made...... :ermm::huh:

Spider-Man 2099 never even needed to be made. I know he was a quick fix to make up for Thanos, but, reallyl, Spider-Man 2099? Jeez, You would have thought that they could have thought of someone other than a character from a series that there's no way in hell we're getting any more of. Couldn't they have done Shalla Bal or this would have been as good a time as any for an Adam Warlock or an Alicia Masters? All of those make sense right?

Spider-Man 2099 never even needed to be made. I know he was a quick fix to make up for Thanos, but, reallyl, Spider-Man 2099? Jeez, You would have thought that they could have thought of someone other than a character from a series that there's no way in hell we're getting any more of. Couldn't they have done Shalla Bal or this would have been as good a time as any for an Adam Warlock or an Alicia Masters? All of those make sense right?

i agree :ninja:

they could have thought of someone other than a character from a series that there's no way in hell we're getting any more of.

Well, we sort of did when he became a main character in Exiles. Personally, having a Spidey 2099 was what made me pay attention to Minimates in the first place, back when I thought I'd just pick up "a couple". I loved that they made a relatively obscure character so early on.

Sable (and Firestar too, sort of) is currently in Ultimate Spidey. Gwen Stacy hasn't done much of anything recently, what with being dead, but didn't her illegitimate kids show up a while back or something?

Of course if they only released Minimates by their characters' current relevancy in the comics, we'd never have gotten that Black Spidey everyone loves so much (well, until the Back in Black version now), or Death Archangel or Web Armor Spidey or various other favorites...

I love that we have have a Spiderman 2099. He was one of my favorite characters on the Exiles team. Man that comic was great until Claremont ruined the series. His writing just got worse and worse. Also I think the topic creator meant that we should have gotten other more important characters instead of the ones he listed.

I love that we have have a Spiderman 2099. He was one of my favorite characters on the Exiles team. Man that comic was great until Claremont ruined the series. His writing just got worse and worse. Also I think the topic creator meant that we should have gotten other more important characters instead of the ones he listed.

Funny I agree whole heartedly! I enjoyed the minimate and had read a few early issues of SM2099. And I used to like Claremont but if you think he screwed that up you should read the sequels to the Movie WILLOW. <_<

Yeah I'm sorry it was confussing. But The Crippler is correct I meant which characters should have been made later on in the series like 27 or higher.

And I totally forgot about Spiderman 2099 I would have loved to have gotten a follow up series like an Xmen 2099 or hulk dr. doom, even the punisher