UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Study shows public overwhelmingly thinks April Fool's gags amusing, novel.

98% of respondents say they look forward to being surprised with fake news stories every year, and consistently believe the false reports to be true until they scroll down and read the disclaimer, "April Fools!!!!"

"I love them," said one respondent, "They never get old."

Yeah, if I had known the Star Wars thing over at the HQ would have spawned this stuff over here, I'd have reconsidered the joke.

Your fools joke is actually quite good, and like all good fools jokes just on the edge of being believable. I wouldnt blame yourself in anyway for the unoriginal postings by others who seem to have just jumped on the bandwagon.

I think next year we just disable posting rights for all members for 24 hours.

There's been some inane crap posted on here at times and usually by the same minority of morons (should that be moronity?) but yesterday was a real lowlight as far as I'm concerned.

I feel like this forum is in danger of being ruined for the majority of posters by a few idiots that treat the place like their private playground and would welcome the views of other members.

Although I would be able to live without posting any comments for just one day, it would be pretty sad if you had to resort to that because of one or two idiots basically ruining it for the rest of us. I'm fairly new and was wondering if this happens every year? If so, then maybe suspending posting would be a good idea but if you can please keep that as a last resort! ;)

What's the big deal?

I mean it was few topics made for harmless fun that could be (and have been) deleted.

Though if you're cracking down on April Fools topics,then shouldn't you delete "Fei Long (Offical) Minimate, If AA continued the line we would have gotten this prototype" too then?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just giving my two cents.

BTW Drgnrbrn316

Your joke over at HQ was very professional and believable.

Good Job! :)

Think before you post a new topic.

I don't think it was the point of posting ONE topic but posting what, like six? A.J.V., please don't take any offense I am by no means a proffesional stand up comic in my spare time so I do not claim to have any authority on what is funny and what's not, but after the first post you should have quit while you were ahead. It may have been more believable.

Edited by Fo Shizzle

Total waste of everyones time and effort if you ask me... nothing like half a dozen obviously 'april fools threads' that were neither funny nor original ( esp those who posted the the same thread twice) to bring the site to a grinding halt.

IF they were even mildly well crafted, were funny or clever then I'd be less damning but following the overused 'cancelled line coming back' title then one line and the words april fool was A) not fooling anyone and B)Fucking retarded.

I agree that some posters seem to feel it's ok to start threads that are either pointless or redundant willy nilly, perhaps the staff could let them know who they are by PM and that they should as Rad says think before starting threads.

I'm going to stop there or I will go off on a big rant about the level of mindless that seems to be taking over these days!

T.

I didn't see any but the Star Wars one, which was done well. I guess they must have been real bad to get this many people annoyed.

On another note did anyone see XBox's april fools yesterday? That was quite funny and had me roped in for a while, until the xbox with wood finish.

Also DST's own April Fools joke

Edited by Dan

Um... It's become my yearly habit to take April 1st off from the internet, simply cause I hate dealing with the crap. But most stuff is funny. I wasn't here, but surely it couldn't have been that bad?

It started with someone posting what we ran on the HQ yesterday about Star Wars going the Minimate route (a joke), then from there I saw a thread for Marvel dying, DC coming to a deal with AA in regards to mates, Street Fighter coming back, and some Bruce Lee figure. There might have been more, but those are the ones I saw. Most were just the thread title with April Fool's splashed on the actual page. The Street Fighter one tried to sound more like news, so at least someone made an attempt.

Personally, I'm all for fun and games, with April 1st being a good time for it. But I think things can go too far, which may be where the problem stemmed. One joke on the board, if done with some thought, wouldn't be bad, but when all those who suffer from the "monkey see, monkey do" train of thought start tossing more and more of them out there, it goes from funny to annoying.

See that was funny and actually had something worth reading, MMHQ's StarWars was fine cos it was a one off for the site.

The stuff that was posted here just gets an 11 out of 10 on the retard scale.

T.

April Fools Day can be fun, unless you have no sense of humor. I didn't play havoc with the bad word filter or change anyone's user ID this year, mostly because of time constraints. I wanted to though!

The Star Wars hoax was fun. I kinda had a little unfair insight to know it was a joke, but it was nicely done. Once the trend was realized, the other threads were too easy to spot.

I didn't see any but the Star Wars one, which was done well. I guess they must have been real bad to get this many people annoyed.

On another note did anyone see XBox's april fools yesterday? That was quite funny and had me roped in for a while, until the xbox with wood finish.

Didnt see the Xbox or DST one till now, but the best one for me was the BBC's penguin Iplayer advert that was brilliant and professionally done. I can bet a good few fell for that. It will proberly get classed as one of the best fools jokes next to the classic one they ran way way back about the spaghetti tree.BBC Iplayer Penguins

Edited by MiniFiend UK

Maybe there should be a rule "don't play jokes on April fools" and then have 1 officially sanctioned joke that year. I know DA changed everybody's icon to the same and pissed a lot of people off. But that was funny. :P Some people are just gona be spoil sports. And some are just gona take a joke too far. Like Toyfare's Smurf City. :P

Didnt see the Xbox or DST one till now, but the best one for me was the BBC's penguin Iplayer advert that was brilliant and professionally done. I can bet a good few fell for that. It will proberly get classed as one of the best fools jokes next to the classic one they ran way way back about the spaghetti tree.BBC Iplayer Penguins

That link apparently won't work outside of the UK. But anyway, since this topic has moved in a more useful direction, this was the only thing that got me yesterday b/c it was believable enough, and Tony and Wilbon treated it as seriously as they do anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkf9dxiIe8

Maybe there should be a rule "don't play jokes on April fools" and then have 1 officially sanctioned joke that year. I know DA changed everybody's icon to the same and pissed a lot of people off. But that was funny. :P Some people are just gona be spoil sports. And some are just gona take a joke too far. Like Toyfare's Smurf City. :P

Ok DinoBot please stop take a deep breath and reread that post.... I think it sums up exactly what we're talking about here.

Why on earth should there be a rule for 'not playing April fools jokes', if that why not a rule for 'not bashing DST in the Q&A' or 'not typing naughty words'.

Do you really want the multiverse to be defined by a million minor rules and regulations because certain people seem to lack any common sense, or do you think it's better that when this sort of thing happens that we debate it so that people can understand why it's a bad idea and perhaps realise what's expected of them as a member.

One of the reasons I call this place 'home' is the freedom we have and that people are for the most part intelligent and reasonable.

T.