UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How much was your first Minimate?

I'm not sure. My first purchase was from an e-tailer because I couldn't find them locally. I think I spent about $20 plus shipping for the entire first wave with variant.

It's a thread like this that really makes you realize how important the Marvel license was/is to Minimates. Of course we all know that Marvel is important, but when you look at the numbers in this thread only three or four of the 25+ responders' first exposure to Minimates was not Marvel.

As for me, I bought a Kirk, Spock, and McCoy for $5 each when I first spotted them at Target.

Rassin-frassin whippersnappers with their two-inch Minimates... Killed off all the superior three-inchers... Imagine how nifty a three-inch Spidey would be... I miss buttermilk... Who would buy a two-pack if they didn't want both characters?... In my day...

Edited by Ivan

My first mates were Captain America/Absorbing Man & Wife-beater Wolverine/Juggernaut from Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh for about 6 or 7 pounds each..and my initial reaction was...Meh!

So I left it for a couple of years until I found some remainder C3 sets at my local TRU and was hooked on the DC goodness,

So now I'm up to date with all DC 'mates (God rest their little souls :( ) Trek 'mates and BTTF 'mates and I'm totally addicted!!

Ain't got them on display though, just in a big old Tupperware box...The wife looks at me funny when she catches me sniffing the plasticky goodness within...Sorry, guilty pleasure, Yeah I'm a little weird!! lol!

Edited by Chaapaaiguy

Iceman and Classic Wolverine 2-pack for $1.50 at a Target post-Christmas sale.

I picked up a few more deeply discounted sets soon after but didn't pay full price for Minimates until the first DC Minimates series was released.

Edited by hypno

I'm right there with you, Ivan. Actually, my first purchase was Tribbles Kirk off of eBay for $5 plus shipping. Quickly followed by two of the big three at a ShopKo or some store like that. Had to buy the third Trek trio at a comic store, for a whopping $6 I think.

The true danger of MiniMates is that small, easy initial purchase. Less than ten bucks, then suddenly you're hooked and your credit rating is sinking....

How much the first minimate cost me escapes me at this point, but I remember that it was the Spider-Man minimates set from Toys R Us. The one with the hidden figure which was Rhino. :P Mystery, Right. LOL. It was Spider-Man and Venom who got my attention. As I played with them and looked at all the other minis they were offering at that point, I just had to have them. The next one I got was Iron Man from Wal-Mart. Been collecting ever since. I too put them in a Rubber Maid box. I put them in little plastic zip loc bags. Keeps them fresh. :D

but I remember that it was the Spider-Man minimates set from Toys R Us...

That along with the Hulk 4-pack were the first Minimates that I bought. I had seen the 3" Trek and Rock lines but not being a fan of those properties, and not being a rabid Minimate fan yet, I didn't buy them. Before Minimates I collected LEGO and larger action figures - nothing specific just anything that caught my fancy. After I bought those first Minimates that was it. I streamlined my collection and started only collecting Minimates.

My first mates were Captain America/Absorbing Man & Wife-beater Wolverine/Juggernaut from Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh for about 6 or 7 pounds each..and my initial reaction was...Meh!

So I left it for a couple of years until I found some remainder C3 sets at my local TRU and was hooked on the DC goodness,

So now I'm up to date with all DC 'mates (God rest their little souls :( ) Trek 'mates and BTTF 'mates and I'm totally addicted!!

Ain't got them on display though, just in a big old Tupperware box...The wife looks at me funny when she catches me sniffing the plasticky goodness within...Sorry, guilty pleasure, Yeah I'm a little weird!! lol!

Nothing weird there .

Wolverine drinks Tennents Super ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Nothing weird there .

Wolverine drinks Tennents Super ?

LOL! No, Wolvie's on the Jack Daniels wagon this week...

I'm just worried that sniffing plastic fumes is the first step on the long road to drinking Toilet Duck!! :teehee:

LOL! No, Wolvie's on the Jack Daniels wagon this week...

I'm just worried that sniffing plastic fumes is the first step on the long road to drinking Toilet Duck!! :teehee:

Isn't admitting you have a problem the first step to recovery? so it's not all bad :D

T.

My friends both picked up the Spider-Man and the Ultimate X-Men sets when they first came out. I thought they were cool but I had been collecting Marvel Legends. I became interested in them when I found a lot on Ebay for about $25 that consisted of Marvel waves 1-5. All open and in one giant plastic baggie. I think the first store bought were New Wolverine and Phoenix for $6.99-$8.99

I am up to 281 minimates currently. I can't stop buying them!!!

I'm pretty sure I bought both the Ult. Wolverine/Ult. Sabertooth and Ult. Cyclops/Ult. Jean Grey two packs. It was around $6 each. Of course, the store also had the Black Suit Spidey variant, but at the time I had no idea there were even variant figures for Minimates.

I bought a 3 inch Kirk (I love classic Trek and have a deep seeded respect for the Shat) with like 4 dollars I got for returning some cans in. Realizing that the figure was probabally the best 4 dollars I have ever remember spending. I then proceeded to look the line up on the web, freaking out when I found out about Marvel minimates (I loves me the funny books). I then waited quite possibly the longest 6 months in my life for the first wave of minimates to come out.

Stoopid Art Asylum and DST licensing characters from franchises I actually care about.

The first mates that got me into all of this were the Red Daredevil/Red Elektra 2 pack and the Black Suit Spiderman / Venom 2 pack.....each being $6.95 at Suncoast when they first came out.

Glorious day with a new collectible!!

Toys'R'Us NYC Union Square (now Babies'R'Us) the large pack with daredevil, elektra, kingpen, bruce banner, and the hulk. My aunt bought it for me as a gagg gift for one Easter. Now look at me. hahaha

The joke's on her! :P