UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

St. Patrick's Day a National Holiday!!

Shanester

I signed!

Best idea ever, you can keep your stinking thanksgiving and independence day... Give me St Paddies day as a holiday!

T.

p.s. Can I have the day after too please, cos it's hard to concentrate with a wobblyheadachehangover thing!

Sorry chaps I totally disagree. Paddy's day is an Irish celebration. I know you guys are from Irish stock as am I , but I don't go out and celebrate it and I hate seeing English people doing it too.

Sorry chaps I totally disagree. Paddy's day is an Irish celebration. I know you guys are from Irish stock as am I , but I don't go out and celebrate it and I hate seeing English people doing it too.

My reasoning is this... If a I have to take time off for Independence day as and Englishman I might as well add a holiday I will actually enjoy!

T.

I've just come back from ski-ing in the Austrian Alps with some mates. We met up with a great bunch of Irish lads & spent most evenings drinking with them. Now remember this was Austria,the Tyrol,Tyrollean evenings & beer kellars.....Wrong :( The main bar was O'Malley's & the second largest was known as.. wait for it ....The Shamrock. Every other night was ..you guessed it..... 'Irish Night' & the 'star attraction was the Elvis impersonator(imposter more like). Now I like Guinness & have grown fond of the Irish but the Irish lads tired of these places quicker than us! Irish bars are great... in Ireland & Ulster not Austria. Same goes for St.Patrick's Day ,it's for the Irish IMOP......mind you if anybody want's to invite me over for the day...Oill be dare wid me shillelagh :lol:

By the way who is the patron saint of the USA???

My reasoning is this... If a I have to take time off for Independence day as and Englishman I might as well add a holiday I will actually enjoy!

T.

But as an Englishman you should be celebrating Independence Day. It's the day we got rid of them damn Yanks! ;)

T.

You'll take the day off and you'll like it! :P

Seriously, you English should celebrate the USA Independance day too. Think of the hundreds of years of headaches you saved yourselves getting rid of us Yanks. You got out while the getting was good. And the best part, most Americans are so ignorant of their own history, they think we fought the French during the Revolutionary War. You wouldn't believe how many rednecks stare off at the fireworks glowing in the sky, a single tear welling up in their eye while thinking, "We sure taught dem froggies good! God Bless the USA!"

You guys get the best of both worlds!

As for St. Paddy's Day, I seriously think I'm more likely to see Cinco de Mayo as an official holiday here in LA.

Do the English even need a holiday to drink? I thought they just needed 5 o'clock!

Unless it's the weekend then it's noon!

One thing you're missing ( and most Americans have a hard time grasping) is that is a huge difference between drinking and getting drunk ;)

T.

One thing you're missing ( and most Americans have a hard time grasping) is that is a huge difference between drinking and getting drunk ;)

T.

:huh:

I figured that out, but it took a pretty long time, and a couple of really bad experiences in college involving hard liquor. . .let's just say that there are tapes in existence somewhere that ensure that I can never run for political office.

In America, excess does seem to be a virtue. . .

T.

Yes, just as there is a difference between American beer and beer. I blame the Puritans in both cases.

I figured that out, but it took a pretty long time, and a couple of really bad experiences in college involving hard liquor. . .let's just say that there are tapes in existence somewhere that ensure that I can never run for political office.

In America, excess does seem to be a virtue. . .

I spent some wonderful weeks in Ohio nearly 20 years ago with my (then) American girlfriend. I discovered the difference between American beer (?) & the alcoholic nectar I was previously used to drinking , I also discovered the difference between a hard liquor & a hard licker :P Damn those American spellings :lol:

It's St.Patrick's Day this coming Monday. St.Patrick is most famous for ridding Ireland of snakes! To this day Ireland & New Zealand are the only countries in the world that do not have snakes. It is not known for sure whether or not St.Patrick actually visited NZ but we are sure what his words were as he drove the snakes out of Ireland..........

''Are you boys OK in the back of the car''