UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Japanese Blind-packed boxes!

Hi all,

I haven't been interested in the non-superhero mates but I had to buy a couple of these when I saw them here for 499 yen in the Toys R Us in Shim-Maebashi, Gunma, Japan.

Blind-packed SFII and Darkstalkers (or as it's called here: Vampire Savior) Minimates.

My photo's leave a little to be desired so I'll tell you as much as I can about them

StreetFighterIIJapaneseMinimates1.jpg

This is the front and back of the box. It's the familiar art-work but features the Vampire Savior logo instead of the Darkstalkers one. The Art Asylum and Diamond logos are bottom right.

The little blue star says something along the lines of "14 to collect" I guess. My Japanese is not superb, but I'm fairly sure that's what is says.

StreetFighterIIJapaneseMinimates02.jpg

This is less exciting and very blurry (sorry!). There's a bar-code, recycling info, a recommendation that it's for over 12's and the supplier/importers name and details. It's a company called Blister Direct (webpage is www.blisterdirect.com ). If you go there you can find further details in the Diamond Select section. Amongst other things you can see that they come in a case of 24 boxes.

StreetFighterIIJapaneseMinimates03.jpg

Again, very blurry, sorry! This is the side of the box and shows 7 different characters. I'll try to give you all their Japanese names and their ratios (yes, some are short-packed).

Chun Li 1/6

Ryuu 1/6

Don't know his name and can't read the kanji - has an ginger top-knot 1/6

Morigan 1/8

Bega (Japanese doesn't have a sound for "v" so Vega becomes Bega) 1/6

Ririsu (In Japanese the "r" sound is somewhere between "l" and "r") 1/24

Demitori 1/6

So that's 7 characters, but 14 to collect. Each character is also available in their Player 2 outfits. This has been confirmed by the Blister Direct site.

StreetFighterIIJapaneseMinimates06.jpg

And here's the first of the figures I got. Bega in his Player 2 outfit. He comes with a purple energy blast ball.

StreetFighterIIJapaneseMinimates07.jpg

It's Demitori in his Player 2 outfit, looking not unlike an angry Bilbo Baggins. He comes with an orange energy blast thingy.

Danny, feel free to use any of this info or these photo's on your site. Also, feel free to give me some tips to help me take less sucky photos.

Hope you all like the info.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're marketed as

"Street Fighter - MiniMates Round 1:"

Each box holds 24.

Chun Li 1/6

Ryu 1/6

Akuma 1/6

Morigan 1/8

M.Bison 1/6

Lillith 1/24

Demitri 1/6

So the chase is still a chase :P

Official retail price is 600Yen (inc tax) which is around $5

Wow wow wow!

This is exactly the sort of thing needed to bring Minimates up in other countries. Massive kudos to them for doing that.

Konishiwa Mr Excitable he said Del Boy style! Great detective work my friend, I bet you were amazed seeing those. "OMG Minimates, here!"

I'm sure if you picked up a few for people they'd appreciate it, certainly the packaging completists among us. I'll PM you myself in a mo :)

Finally, the key with taking non-blurry pics is to make sure the camera is a sufficient distance away. Stuff comes out in such high resolution these days that you don't need to be close to it.

Glad you're excited! I was really surprised and happy to see them. As for other minimates being released here... I wouldn't hold your breath. Super-hero stuff is a very niche market here, so it may not be worth their while to release them. Speed Racer might get a release, but it's not that popular either. BSG might be the one to watch. There are already some BSG ship models on sale in blind-boxes, so there is a market. I'm just not sure how big it is.

Lik Sang is a great retailer and they have excellent shipping too. I'm going to buy some of these for some people however, so if you want some at cost + shipping please let me know how many you want and where you live.

So far I have:

Danny - 6 boxes

Fujis - 2 boxes

Luke314pi - 2 boxes

Any more for any more?

16.73 GBP for 6 shipped from LiK Sang

Thats cheaper than I pay for 3 two packs in this country.

How the frack are they that cheap?!?

Generally it's because we Brits get shafted on anything imported. At 500 yen (approx. $5 US) these probably seem expensive to Americans. At 500 yen (approx. £2.50) these are pretty cheap to us. Plus, Asian postage costs are generally pretty low.

Of course, you'd have to buy a lot of these to get the whole set!

Hmm.... wonder if Marvel/DC Kubricks would prevent Marvel/DC mate blind packing for the Japanese market...

It would depend on the specific contract that Marvel and Medicom have. I would imagine not, as there's some blind packed Marvel stuff available here already. However, I think any Marvel mini-figure itch that the Japanese public has, may have already been scratched by the Kubricks. I imagine that if anyone thought Marvel Minimates would sell here, they would have already released them.

As for DC, the awareness of DC characters is far lower than Marvel's so Batman and Superman would probably be the only characters they might be interested in. If Art Asylum released a Batman Begins or Superman Returns wave, Japan would probably be interested, but probably not otherwise. Generally super-hero stuff doesn't go well over here. The Batman waves of Microman have been peg-warming since I arrived last July.