UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

For A Few Dollars More box set

Fujis

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These certainly do look good. However, I'm still unsure that I'll get them. Marvel, DC, Star Trek, BSG are all natural wants for me. BTTF pushed it a little, but it's a fine movie with lots of geek cred. But these, I'm just not sure about. The movies are all well and good, but I don't know that I like them enough to want them in MiniMate form...

These certainly do look good. However, I'm still unsure that I'll get them. Marvel, DC, Star Trek, BSG are all natural wants for me. BTTF pushed it a little, but it's a fine movie with lots of geek cred. But these, I'm just not sure about. The movies are all well and good, but I don't know that I like them enough to want them in MiniMate form...

For me.... these, BSG, ST and BTTF are up there along with 24 (which I've never seen on TV). I'm not into the Marvel and DC stuff so much.

Though this isn't one of my favorite themes, I'm sure I'll get 'em because it is Clint Eastwood, after all.

For me, it's the idea of having a Western display around my Deadwood DVDs like the one around my Lord of the Rings DVD sets that clinches it. (Obviously it will be a bit smaller). The Palisades Toys PALz series meant that my Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs got the same treatment, so my bookshelves will be getting quite crowded!

Likely, the only thing I would change is painting the inside of the pocket watch once I have it in hand.

You guys keep talking about pocket watches and I keep looking for them....

Those round gold things? I do believe they're a fistful of gold dollars. :blink:

Those round gold things? I do believe they're a fistful of gold dollars. :blink:

Given the movie, that's got to be the musical pocket watch with Mortimer's sister's picture in it. She shot herself rather than experiencing the pain of being raped and possibly killed by Indio, and ol' Indio waxes nostalgic by carrying her musical watch around. Its very touching. . .

This gets me thinking, this would be the most awesome toy set ever (next to that Aliens Kubrick power loader deal) if DST provided a musical box like the recent GI Joes have, playing Ennio Morricone's theme.

Likely, the only thing I would change is painting the inside of the pocket watch once I have it in hand.

And I do believe you haven't seen the movie. :P

A whole plot element of the movie (and Col. Mortimer's driving force) is that El Indio killed Mortimer's sister (well, she killed herself actually) and her husband and took the husband's watch which played a tune. Mortimer carries the sister's watch which plays the same tune. The final gun fight between Mortimer and Indio involves the two drawing their weapons when Indio's watch stops playing, with Mortimer's gun laying on the ground and Indio's in his hand. But as the watch stops playing, the music starts again as it is revealed that Clint Eastwood had stolen Mortimer's watch. He gives Mortimer a gun and this time when the music stops...well I won't spoil the ending.

To me, this movie was far more memorable than Fistful of Dollars, which is why it doesn't bother me too much that they'd start a potential line with this movie.

And I do believe you haven't seen the movie. :P

You're dead-on correct there. My bad and I stand corrected. And, it's something I intend to rectify very soon. :)

In the meantime, it could double as dollars, eh? Part of the beauty of simple block figures. heh.

To me, this movie was far more memorable than Fistful of Dollars, which is why it doesn't bother me too much that they'd start a potential line with this movie.

In that case, why didn't they start with "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly"? Though it was the third film in the series, it is considered a sort of prequel as it is where "the man with no name" gets his trademark poncho (from the dying Confederate soldier). While I love them all (truly groundbreaking stuff for the Western genre), I believe that this is the more recognizable of the three. Anyway, here's hoping the whole "Dollars Trilogy" sees production. With "Rocky" and "Back To The Future" getting multiple sets, I don't see why not. I simply cannot wait 'til Feb. (the release date and hopefully some news from ToyFair)!

I still don't see why they didn't reuse Mortimer's hat for Clint's character. If it makes it to final production as is, I see myself either buying two so I can make a hat swap, else I'll be shaving the top off of the one they made. Of course, it seems to suffer from the "hat sitting on top of the head rather than looking like the character is wearing it" syndrome that was first noticed on Golden Age Flash in addition to being too tall. Maybe that's why they included two of Clint, so when you can't resist the urge to smash that one with a hammer, you'll have a spare.

Overall, I'm impressed with the whole set, minus Clint's hat.

I'm feeling fairly confident that that particular hat won't actually make it to production. For the most part, I haven't seen any major mis-steps like this with the Mates that have actually been produced recently, and that hat is clearly just wrong. But, even if it is, like you suggested, I'll probably just shave it down and maybe use some epoxy putty and brown paint to make it look more appropriate.

• 7 years later...