UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Quality Control Issues - Again

Fizzle

I've been collecting Minimates since the first marvel ones came out, and it only seems like recently quality has been an issue. When I got my Avengers wave, my variant Sentry snapped off at the left knee almost immediately after it was removed from the package. I emailed DST support, and was informed to return the broken one for a replacement. I sent the whole thing back - package, broken variant Sentry and Ronin. I never received a replacement and all the subsequent emails I've sent to DST have gone un-answered.

Last week I received my Marvel Zombies 5 pack. Nothing was broken - but Wolverine was missing his left arm entirely! I ordered it from AFX, so I sent them an email informing them of the situation. I received a prompt reply telling me that they will send me a replacement in 2-3 weeks. I'm not sure I believe it, but I'll wait the three weeks to see.

Today I got DC series 5, and Red Tornado's knee breaks just like Sentry! WTF? I know many people are having these problems, but I think I'm done with Minimates due to all this garbage. And on top of it, there's no contact info on the DC mates packaging!

Done ranting, thanks for reading!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it stinks that there's no contact information on the DC stuff. I don't like that at all. For people who buy a set or two or a whole case, there's no way you can get your comic shop to re-order that particular set because they only come in cases. So that stinks and they won't do it unless you want to pay for an entirely new case.

I thought DST was pretty good about replacing until I got a broken Spider-Man from the 5-pack. I wrote them and asked how I could replace the leg and haven't heard anything back.

i wrote to DST after the spidey boxed set came out and my sandman arm broke of from being fused in the pack, i got an email saying " they were hoping to get more figs, from that set, from their overseas factory" a week later i recievd an email that "they were not going to get any, sorry" and that was it i ask for any replacement torso to fix sandman with, no reply. :angry:

now i just got the avengers wave and Scarlett witches knee broke fresh from the pack i have sent two emails and haven't even recieved a reply. :angry::angry:

i wrote to DST after the spidey boxed set came out and my sandman arm broke of from being fused in the pack, i got an email saying " they were hoping to get more figs, from that set, from their overseas factory" a week later i recievd an email that "they were not going to get any, sorry" and that was it i ask for any replacement torso to fix sandman with, no reply. :angry:

now i just got the avengers wave and Scarlett witches knee broke fresh from the pack i have sent two emails and haven't even recieved a reply. :angry::angry:

I had a simplar problem with my Kilowag. His left arm was fused and won't bend. It looks like there's paint or glue in the joints.

Chaps, this happens from time to time and a lot of the reasons you don't hear back from DST Customer Services is because they're out on the convention circuit. If you don't hear back from Customer Services e-mail them again and CC DST Chuck into the addressee list. Please remember to be civil.

I hope you get your problems sorted. I've not had much joy with DST Customer Services but at least they have a customer service dep't. I feel your pain regarding DC Direct. The only recourse you have with them is the retailer you bought the 'mates from. I'm not sure what kind of 'sale of goods act' you guys have over there but I'd imagine it's a good one. Swot up before you ask the retailer for a refund.

AFX is usually good about replacing things. I wouldn't worry about the Zombie Wolverine.

You may actually even get a complete second zombie set out of the deal, which would be nothing to sneeze at.

I think your trouble on the Sentry was that he was a variant. Variants aren't easily replaced, even by diamond.

My own story:

I once ordered a set of 6 mates (3 normal packs from a particular series) from AFX with a "possible" variant. I'd get the two normal sets, and either get the normal Spider-Woman & Spider-Carnage set, or variant Spider-Woman, depending on what got pulled from the case. Well, funnily enough, I got variant Spider-Woman. But again, funnily enough, her knee snapped in half shortly after opening her.

I e-mailed AFX for a replacement, and they said they couldn't guarantee a variant replacement, but they did send me a replacement normal Spider-Woman and Spider-Carnage set. So I ended up with 2 Spider-Carnages, a Spider-Woman I and a broken Spider-Woman II, when all I expected in the 1st place was 1 Spider-Woman I and 1 Spider-Carnage. So it wasn't all that bad of a deal I suppose.

So as I said, AFX does do replacements. You may even get a whole new set. The fact that not only was Sentry a variant, but you were trying to get him replaced through a manufactuer and not a retailer is probably what screwed you the 1st time... Retailers have more motivation to keep their customers happy. Manufactuers only have to keep the retailers happy, and rely on the retailers to keep the customers happy.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to bash Diamond. I've had some pleasant experiences with them as a company in the past. If they -can- help you easily, I believe they will, but a variant isn't an easy replacement, even for the manufactuer, so I think they just chose to ignore you in this case... 1 unsolvable problem for a single customer is like a drop in the bucket for a major corporation. They probably feel they have more important damage control to attend to.

I think your trouble on the Sentry was that he was a variant. Variants aren't easily replaced, even by diamond.

I think Gillbob316's right on the money with this one. I had exactly the same problem with my Sentry Variant. Being in the UK meant we didn't get waves 12 and 13 until December 06 whereas you lucky devils got the wave back in that October meaning that all replacements got sent out waaaaaay before mine even got out of the box. Bummer, and I'm not happy about it by any means but I believe DST when they say they're out of that particular mate.

Same thing happened with my Stealth Cylon, don't think I even got a reply with that one. Badger Customer Services their job is to make sure you're happy but do stay civil. I have to speak to snarky S.O.B.'s on a daily basis, believe me, nothing will get you to the back of the queue quicker than a bad attitude. :D

I also have a broken Hydro man/Sandman and let me tell you it also happened to my best friend. Since the QC issues have gotten worse it also means I'm trading and getting other people minimates that break. It makes me feel so embarrassed that I just don't feel comfortable anymore. :( This week I sent out about 350-400 minimates and I just don't have the security. It really gets me down. It feels like I'm giving crap to people, especially because it has happened to friends.

Sorry for this rant but it had to boil over within me sometime.

I've contacted DST and hopefully they'll respond. If I'm not mistaken, they maybe gearing up for the Baltimore Comic-Con so they could be tied up and respond later.

Last week I received my Marvel Zombies 5 pack. Nothing was broken - but Wolverine was missing his left arm entirely!

Strange, mine is missing his right arm. :P At first i thought maybe he is supposed to be missing an arm, you know, being zombies and all. I honestly did think that though, but only for a moment. I need that arm :(

I realize the Variant Sentry is in fact a variant, and that make the figure hard to come by. My problem is that I emailed DST about the issue, told them exactly which figure it was, and was told by them to send it back for a replacement. Cost of 2-pack: $9.00 Cost to ship 2-pack to DST: $4.05 Getting screwed over by them because now I'm out $13.05 and am missing Ronin and my broken Sentry: Priceless.

Baltimore Comic-con was last weekend, and since it's literally 15 minutes from their office I can't see them needing that much time to set up for it.

The only show that cleans the DST office out of "useful" people is San Diego.

Face it, they, like their parent company Diamond Comics, enjoy screwing their customers.

I got an email that they were going to be out of the office for the week and returning today.

I'm not sure they enjoy screwing their customers, there been many who have received replacement minimates for their broken ones. If they didn't care at all we wouldn't even be getting anything back. I don't think they are happy about upset customers.

What really needs to be done is get these QC issues fixed so there isn't anyone whining or complaining even though it's justified. Until corrected I expect these types of threads keep popping up, heck even I contribute to them.

Ultimately, you as the customer must decide if it's worth the headache just to eventually get a decent product. In my opinion the QC issue was enough for me to (unfortunately) quit buying 'Mates. More & more of my newer ones were breaking out of the box and collecting them became a chore instead of an enjoyable hobby.

I hate to hear that this is still going on. It shouldn't take this long for AA/DST/whoever to realize that this board represents their core market and it is reaching boiling point with their poor quality.

I cracked open my Variant McCoy/Scotty pack last night and got a busted knee pin right out of the package. Thats sucks!

Another thing that is not well designed? The Tricorder. I think its cool that it was redisigned instead of just shrunk down, bit it keeps falling apart. Useless.

Man getting a busted variant is the worst feeling, which is why I also want them to stop doing chases. They are a ton harder to replace.

I got a reply today from DST and will be getting my rocky hair pieces and a hydroman replacement. They don't have a sandman replacement. :( Getting most of my issues resolved is a lot better than nothing at all. Now to wait.

OK just to counter those who are saying everything they touch is broken...

I just opened

A Rocky 4 pack

A Marvel Zombies 5 pack

Marvel wave 16 with chase

Star Trek wave 1 with chase

BSG wave 2 with chase

DC wave 5

That's over 40 minimates and apart from Col America's arm painted solid and two right gloves for Rocky there were no missing parts or broken joints...

T.

I bought a Deathstroke 2 pack with busted knee and a yellow Daredevil with two right legs (he could kick himself in the nuts). I blame the .10 cent per hour laborers for those issues. I ordered a Diamond Emma variant 2 pack, and the variant was missing out of the box. I also have had loose joins, but nothing worth crying about.

WW4M

I have to wonder, how many of these issues are factory issues - ie a missing fig/missing arm/missing leg - and problems with the person playing with the figure itself. I haven't had a mate break on me since the Seattle Con blanks - and I think that was caused by me trying too hard to move the knee joint. None of my current purchases have had issues upon 1st look, so I'm surprised by all the people posting about problems. I'm just lucky I guess.

As far as DST responding to issues, I know 1st hand that they fix problems whenever possible. There may be a delay in getting a response, but there is a response. Try getting a response from DC Direct. (I won't hold my breath.) Keep in mind guys that these are people's jobs. They have other responsibilities I'm sure - they don't just sit and wait for an email about a QC issue to come in. They also probably have vacation & sick time to use. They need a break from work just like anyone else.

Cut 'em some slack gang - DST is a damn good company when it comes to quality issues. Be patient and be polite and I'm sure they'll help out with what they can.

(Imagine that. I'm the voice of reason. :jawdrop: )

Like I've said I bought thousands and just started to have these types of QC problems. I was a bit surprise by people I've sold to telling me there minimates broke, but I of course believe them because they are trust worthy. But then I saw what they were talking about as soon as it started happening.

What I will say now is truth and not to bash anyone. These are just some of the issues I know have happened to people I've dealt with and why it embarrasses me.

2 x Broken Hydroman/Sandman

6 wrong armed/double arms if you will from 6 2-packs in one case of BSG Series 1

6 snapped Cylons from a case of 12

4 missing crotch battle-damaged cylons from 8 cases of 12

2 x Dr. Fate broken into many pieces in 2-pack

2 x Broken Green Arrow Right knee.

I don't think that DST likes bad publicity. I'm not sure why these QC issues don't get fixed and we don't know what happens behind the scenes. What we do know is:

1.) They'll replace broken minimates/pieces if they can.

2.) They answer our questions in Q/As and out.

3.) They occasionally give us great prizes for contests!(Elf Cylons/Hunt Mates)

4.) They chime in from time to time and talk to us, even in chats.

5.) Plus they have given us exclusive news.

You will find it hard to find many companies that will do that for fans.

Like I've said I bought thousands and just started to have these types of QC problems. I was a bit surprise by people I've sold to telling me there minimates broke, but I of course believe them because they are trust worthy. But then I saw what they were talking about as soon as it started happening.

What I will say now is truth and not to bash anyone. These are just some of the issues I know have happened to people I've dealt with and why it embarrasses me.

2 x Broken Hydroman/Sandman

6 wrong armed/double arms if you will from 6 2-packs in one case of BSG Series 1

6 snapped Cylons from a case of 12

4 missing crotch battle-damaged cylons from 8 cases of 12

2 x Dr. Fate broken into many pieces in 2-pack

2 x Broken Green Arrow Right knee.

Reminds me of the early days of the TRU blind box. IIRC that was a factory issue that eventually got sorted. I wonder if this is something similar.

I don't think that DST likes bad publicity. I'm not sure why these QC issues don't get fixed and we don't know what happens behind the scenes. What we do know is:

1.) They'll replace broken minimates/pieces if they can.

2.) They answer our questions in Q/As and out.

3.) They occasionally give us great prizes for contests!(Elf Cylons/Hunt Mates)

4.) They chime in from time to time and talk to us, even in chats.

5.) Plus they have given us exclusive news.

You will find it hard to find many companies that will do that for fans.

Agreed on all points.

I just got a new DC 5 Shazam and Mary Pack - the wires that hold them in the package were so tight that Shazam's knee was busted in the pack.

Hopefully my LCS will exchange it.

The only other issue I have had is a painted hip joint on the Target Marvel Kitty Pride.

After 2 waves of BSG, 1 ST and several miscellaneous Marvel and DC, I've been pretty fortunate.

I was disappointed that Shazam was busted though.

I don't know if I've been really lucky, but issues with only CC issues I've had with mates have been two right arms on Leader (Bit of extra pressure to "break" it and rotates the wrong/right way fine), Booster Gold with a arm joint pointed over (scalpel fixed that), older 4-pack that had the wrong contents and a missing torso extender on a Modern Cylon. You'd think with the much longer transport distances to get to me (China -> US -> Australia) it'd increase the odds of transport breakages, but nothing yet.

And while I bemoan the delays in getting mates, the delay also gives me a chance to listen to people "road-test" them, giving me handy pointers about which mates I need to treat gingerly first out of the box.