UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Movie Minimates

pickle

I am not sure if there is already a post for this, but if there is i am sorry and can someone post a link for me.

I am wondering what film studios DST has the rights to for making marvel movie minimates.

Spider-man 3 and Ghost Rider are Columbia pictures. Can DST make minimates on the first 2 SM film?

BSG and BTTF are Universal. The incrediable Hulk and Sub-Mariner are also Universal, can DST make mates for these films?

X-men 3, 24, and Dark Angel are Fox. Can DST make the Fantastic Four films(i want these something fierce), the first 2 x-men films or Daredevil/Elektra movies into mates?

I am mostly only interested in the movie mates for marvel (except of course my Galactus) so i am just wondering what mates we might be able to look foward to in the future. Any inside information would be a great help.

one more question, is there anyone else out there that would love to see F4 movie mates as much as i want to?

i also know that some of my examples are not marvel, i am just using them as an example of what film studios DST is already or has made mates for.

I think it's a question of individual films, not the parent company. I mean that they have to buy each film's license individually, as opposed to in a package associated with the distributing company.

If anyone has a different take feel free to contradict me, this is just the general impression I've gotten from past statements.

This makes sense, i can't believe i was not thinking this. :geek:

thanks for your perspective on this.

i guess the only films i really care about are F4 and the first two SM films. Also i hope we see some Hulk mates when the next film comes out.

OK to my knowledge it's fairly simple... well ok it's horribly complicated but will try to make it sound simple :)

For all Marvel movies they have to get a new license from Marvel to make, it's seperate from the comic book license. So getting Spiderman three doesn't mean for example that they could do the original movie green goblin.

Other studios and licenses are probably based on a one off show/movie basis, for example BSG and 24 etc...

The one exception to this rule as far as I can tell is MGM, it seems that DST negotiated contract for a back catalog license for MGM movies, hence the Silcence of the lambs, platoon and the fist full of $$$ movies all being made as minimates.

My one hope there is that the James Bond movies are all MGM.... Will we see a minimate James bond one day?

T.

It just occurred to me, if they do get the rights to make SM1 and SM2, would they make another movie Mary Jane?

Gwen should have been the variant. I think more people would want Mary Jane.

Would the SM3 MJ be considered different then the SM2 MJ because they are, in fact, different movies?

I suppose they could do a battle damaged MJ from SM2.

Thanks for the info TBT! :highfive2:

It just occurred to me, if they do get the rights to make SM1 and SM2, would they make another movie Mary Jane?

Gwen should have been the variant. I think more people would want Mary Jane.

Would the SM3 MJ be considered different then the SM2 MJ because they are, in fact, different movies?

I suppose they could do a battle damaged MJ from SM2.

Thanks for the info TBT! :highfive2:

Yes they are different movies and different licenses, any likenesses/characters from the first two movies aren't allowed.

T.

Something else to keep in mind about the Marvel movies is the film studios that make the movies. While a lot of the newer stuff is going to be housed in Marvel's movie offices, the big franchises are housed under separate studios. Fox has the X-Men, while Sony has Spider-Man. So just because we get minimates from one movie doesn't mean we would get them from all movies. And, as has been pointed out above, each movie in a franchise is a separate entity as well, with separate licenses. For instance, Lego held the rights for Spider-Man 1 and 2, whereas MegaBloks holds the Spider-Man 3 rights. So, SM3 minimates does not guarantee SM1 & 2.

In regards to Spider-Man 1 and 2 in minimate form, it would be nice to see, but I imagine if DST were so inclined as to pursue the license, we'd see something more in the lines of the BTTF, Rocky, etc sets and get a boxed set instead of a whole wave. After all, the movies are old now, and might not still carry the appeal of the mass market audience. After all, LotR died a horrible death on store shelves only a couple years after the franchise movies.

yeah, i got the message from the third post that spidey 1 and 2 would be under different agreements then 3.

it was more of an "i wish" or "what if" thing.

after all, a boy can dream........

and TBT!, i meant with the not re-releasing a variant thing being as how the movie MJ is the variant.

EDIT: wait, i suppose being in a different dress would make her different, my bad :sweat:

The one exception to this rule as far as I can tell is MGM, it seems that DST negotiated contract for a back catalog license for MGM movies, hence the Silcence of the lambs, platoon and the fist full of $$$ movies all being made as minimates.

My one hope there is that the James Bond movies are all MGM.... Will we see a minimate James bond one day?

T.

not to go off topic but are the "silcence of the lambs" minimates really happening???

not to go off topic but are the "silcence of the lambs" minimates really happening???

According to Chuck at SDCC, they are. All the Minimate styled movie poster licenses (except Rain Man) are planned for production. Including Desperately Seeking Susan. Obviously they won't produce waves of DSS Minimates, but DST seemed excited about it nonetheless.

I'll have to wait and see what my reaction to movie mates are especially on older films that by all intents have passed thier sell by date. (There is no way I would call Desprate Seeking Susan a classic!)

The upside of these movie mates that I can see is that it gives access to some sort of non hero mates for the Marvel and DC lines to rescue :). All we need now is a gangster/mafia movie qnd we will have some bank robbers etc

I like the idea of civilian minimate bystanders, but as far as movie mates go for marvel, Id prefer they kept them seperate from the comic marvel mates. I like the X3 mates even though I detest that movie, and I will totally buy the ghost rider mates provided they make it out, just because Im a ghost rider fan. But Id rather have more comic characters as mates than movie ones. If they hadnt done the x 3 mates, which didnt sell really well around here because that movie was horrible, or if they didnt make wave 15 into ghost rider and take so long in releasing it, then we could be playing with more comic characters right now. And if the ghost rider wave does get cancelled, then DST wasted a whole wave that could have been characters we want. maybe if blackheart looked like he did at the end of the movie, then there would be more preorders. It cool though because Id rather wait and get a demon version of him and mephisto.

AS for LOTR mates, maybe they should have release a ringwraith in the 1st wave, or even the 2nd. I would have put more effort into getting them all if they had ringwraiths to fight.

I'll have to wait and see what my reaction to movie mates are especially on older films that by all intents have passed thier sell by date. (There is no way I would call Desprate Seeking Susan a classic!)

The upside of these movie mates that I can see is that it gives access to some sort of non hero mates for the Marvel and DC lines to rescue :). All we need now is a gangster/mafia movie qnd we will have some bank robbers etc

THE GODFATHER! :D

Seriously, make them. I can just see Don Corleone hiring out the rhino to bust open a vault and allow Clemenza's thugs to take everything thay can while the Green Goblin assasinates Don Barzini. AWESOME!!!