UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rate the mates!

MINI_MYTE

Here's your chance to tell the masses (AND DST) what you think of the latest boxed set of Marvel minimates. Rant or rave and leave a score from 1 to 10. B!tch away!

Copyofvenom1.jpg

POWERHOUSE VENOM: Is a great improvement over the original version in series 2 of Marvel MMs. The big chest piece adds to the character's massive size, but the effect would have been pulled of better with a 2.5" body (we all know DST's reason for that injustice, so I'll let it be). The face is fresh and new, but it in no way makes me think of McFarlane's Venom from the "Torment" story line. A great second Venom, but could still be better. 7.5 / 10

Copyoftorment1.jpg

TORMENT SPIDER-MAN: is my favorite MM out of this bunch. Just looking at him (even though he's a MM) makes me think of Todd McFarlane's SM. Plain and simple. Love the big eyes and the darker blue. Spot on! 10 /10

Copyofsymbiote1.jpg

MELEE SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN: This here minimate lacks big time. Poor quality tampos were used, as they appear partially transparent on the body (similar to Racer X from the Speed Racer line). The addition of a clip on or wrap around symbiote accessory would have improved this otherwise weak minimate. The original Symbiote Spidey from wave 2 still ranks supreme in my book. Bottom line this new one blows. 4 / 10

Copyofsandy1.jpg

POWERHOUSE SANDMAN: This guy here is the "king of crap". What DST was thinking is beyond me! They should have listened to the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it." The pe-existing Sandman was fine in my opinion (although he was just part of a "repaint" wave). It still stands head and shoulders over this eye sore. First off the character didn't need a big chest piece (he ain't that big). Secondly the reuse of the JJJ mask was un-necessary. Why is he concealing a see through head anyway? It makes the character look oafish and awkward. Those two reasons combined with his transparent legs and badly reused Human Torch flames, crowns Sandman (in my opinion) THE WORST MINIMATE EVER. 1 / 10

Copyofhydro1.jpg

HYDROMAN: This one is OK. He's a new character to the minimate medium, so that a bonus. Add to the fact that he has a simple look (design wise) it seems almost suitable that he is made from pre existing parts (Cyclop's hair, Ryu's fireballs). "Hey DST, you got this one right. He IS supposed to have transparent parts." Although he's not phenominal, he's still good. 8 / 10

Final Opinion: DST really needs to let go of feeding us collectors rehashed parts for new or updated characters. This boxed set seemed like a rushed effort to give the Marvel fans something to chew on until BRAND NEW minimates become available (which at this rate will be never). And the boxed set suffers as a result. I've read a lot of feedback on this forum concerning this set and the majority of people either like a few characters or down right hate the whole thing. DST needs to reapproach their Marvel license in the way that DCD has done (more diverse characters). Unlike the last handfull of Marvel waves, the DC one's steadily improve and impress people. That combined with the fact that the DC MM sales are great shows that DCD is doing something right and DST is doing something wrong. C'mon DST give the people what they want... FRESH NEW STUFF.

I got these last week and was glad mostly for Torment Spider-Man.

Venom

I liked the big chest but the face isn't accurate. It looks like he's squinting. It needs bigger eyes and teeth. This Beetlejuice shrunken head Venom isn't too appealing. 7

Torment Spider-Man

This figure is the reason I got the set. The painting on the chest and leg shows are well done. The webbed design on the feet are great. 9.5

Symbiote Spider-Man

I tried to like this figure but I can't. The changing look is too odd looking. I agree an accessory (carnage style) would have made it better. A fully enveloped suit would have been best. I turn his head 180 degrees, switch his arms and cover his human side and imagine what could have been an awesome figure. 5

HydroMan

I like this one but his hair piece doesn't seem to fit well. I used a Flash Wally West piece and it looks a lot better that way. I would have preferred a Human Torch style foot trans-blue water stand(s) with the water blasts. 7

SandMan

The JJJ head helmet should have been the base head and it could have had a sandy removable helmet piece instead. The big chest could have been optional. The translucent brownish yellow legs, arms and head make no sense. It looks like this figure should be called UrineMan because that what it looks like. It should have been sand speckle colored and not apple cider brown. 1

3 out of 5 isn't bad but they should have all been winners like Torment :spidey:

I'll make it 4 out of 5 by scraping that human paint off of the symbiote :blackspidey:

I'm glad I got the set.

-Torment Spiderman-10/10 the definate spiderman of the line so far(sorry ben riley :( )

-Mele Spiderman-8/10 if the skin template was better then it would be

-PowerHouse(fat :P )Sandman-6/10 why oh why were the leg piss coered :blink: ?

-Powerhouse (not fat :P )Venom-7/10 while the chest pice is a nice addition this figure lacks basic leg and arm details(maybe he should take a page outta torment spidey's book :P )

-Exculsive HydroMan 9/10 a worthy figure that rounds off the set nicely

-Overall thoughts-this is a fairly decent set that would ve recremended to ANYONE(especially you noobies)

Here's your chance to tell the masses (AND DST) what you think of the latest boxed set of Marvel minimates. Rant or rave and leave a score from 1 to 10. B!tch away!

Copyofvenom1.jpg

POWERHOUSE VENOM: Is a great improvement over the original version in series 2 of Marvel MMs. The big chest piece adds to the character's massive size, but the effect would have been pulled of better with a 2.5" body (we all know DST's reason for that injustice, so I'll let it be). The face is fresh and new, but it in no way makes me think of McFarlane's Venom from the "Torment" story line. A great second Venom, but could still be better. 7.5 / 10

Ummmm... Venom was never in "Torment." that Story was all Lizard and Calypso. (Excellent story by the way, I have all five issues. Most people don't like McFarlane's writing, but he kept the story simple, and backed it up with blasted GOOD ARTWORK!)

Did any one else notice this box set was all re-used parts? it is true, but un-like the past re-used waves these guys look cool. I dig most of the characters in the book set.

Torment spiderman is the best. But mele spiderman is not as bad as some have thought. I think the paint apps are keen and it is a cool look.

As for sandman I think what AA/DST was trying to do was trying to make him look like he was not in his solid shape and fading into sand particles?

I do agree this is a step back for marvel minimates. DC is head and shoulders above them. but also what we should remember is that DC has a real advantage. They are able to learn from the mistakes of marvel and cash in on minimates already established popularity. For example DCD was able to put in secondary characters (such as Harley Quinn and OMAC) in the first wave because minimates already had such a huge fan base. I think that if minimates had started with DC I doubt we would see the oririnal red tornado in the 5th wave.

Torment Spider-Man:

This could possibly be, in my opinion, the greatest Minimate ever. The muscle detailing and web lines of his costume work really nicely, and the darker shade of blue matches both Torment and modern Spider-Man. The bigger eyes are a nice touch, and it's great to have an artist specific Minimate. 10/10

Powerhouse Venom:

This Minimate would have been perfect. But his ugly mug is so undescribably horrid that it needs to be immediately popped off and replaced with Venom w/ Tongue's head. Like, that should be the first thing you do when you open this box. Losing the dots on the hands from the previous Venom is no big deal, but you may wanna swap them out, too. Overall it's nice to have a big chested Venom, and C3 feet for him, but that head is terrible. 6/10

Melee Symbiote Spider-Man:

It's a great idea to have a battle damage version of both costumes, but at least TRY and match the skintones? Maybe it wouldn't be so terrible then. 5/10

Powerhouse Sandman:

...Really? Did somebody at DST get hit with a retard stick when they made this thing? First off, you have JJJ/Chameleon's mask on this thing, which makes him look much too big. He DEFINATELY doesen't need a big chest, though it's nice to have one anyway. I would have preffered a long overdue Powerhouse Rhino instead of this. The transparent arms look more like mud than sand when put next to the green like that. The sand blasts are actually nice, as you can put them once more on the pre-existing Sandman, as with his legs, but wouldn't it have been much better to have a mound of sand for a base instead? I really don't know why they did this. As I said, better a Powerhouse Rhino than a Powerhouse Sandman. 4/10

Hydro Man:

YES! A NEW VILLAIN! Hydro Man looks great, and the Chase Cyclops hair was a good choice. His arms look great transparent, as if they were turning to water, and the Ryu reuse water-blasts were a wonderful choice. I love this Minimate. The only thing I could think of that'd be better is Hydro Man in his newer costume, but this is a CLASSICS box set. 10/10

Overall thoughts: Despite the mismatched skintones of Melee Symbiote Spider-Man, the easily fixable ugly face of Powerhouse Venom, and the just plain terrible Powerhouse Sandman, Hydro Man and Torment Spider-Man, plus the new chest for Venom, and the Sandman accessories, this is a great box set, but you'll definately need a few spare parts to perfect it.

Picked up 2 packs from my LCS today (Another World, Liverpool) £14.99.

My thought are a nice box set for ppl just getting into mates as it gives access to a comic style Spidey and Venom.

Spidey is nicely detailed but there does seem to be a colour diffrence on the blue bits between the body and legs.

Venom nice and chunky as he really should be I like the chest piece on this figure.

Symboite Spidey a bit of a none starter for me its an ok figure but nothing jumps out at me.

Hydroman always nice to get something new but again not a spectaculer figure nice clear hands and the water blast additions are cool but I think are just a reuse from one of the SF mates sets I would have prefered maybe a water torrent base thet maybe you took the legs out an plugged into their place.

Sandman to me the weakest figure of the set I just cant get to like this mate. I cant figure out why the hand blasts are clear there is no reason for this and as some one has mentioned are cola coloured when one the box they are solid and sand coloured, for me one of the weakest mates ever.

I did post this in a another thread and thn spotted there was this thread which suited my comments better

I picked this up last week and generally love it.

Powerhouse Venom - The big chest piece and eyes make this version far closer to the original which was alright but far from perfect.

Hydroman - Pretty much the main reason I got this box set. It would have been nice to see water base for him to stand on (like what Johnny has), but otherwise I think he's perfect. Despite being reuses of the SF chi blasts, his attacks work well for what it's meant to be.

Torment Spider-Man - I would have prefered another costume from Spider-Man's wardrobe. As much as I like the classic costume, I prefer others like Scarlet and Armoured more. Wasted potential in my eyes. Still he does look good.

Sandman - If they had made all of the sand effects the solid sand colour (for want of a better word), I think this minimate would have been perfect. While far from terrible, I think he looked better on the box and in the preview images.

Symbiote Spider-Man - Because I didn't start collecting until about two years ago, I missed out on the original version that was released back in the second (?) wave. In my eyes this is a suitable replacement and I like the attention to detail with Peter's exposed body.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the legs on the original sandman were to plain, and the stripes were lacking too. I dont have the new sandman, but can some mixing and matching work out well enough to get a good sandman out of the 2? and yeah, the clear parts represent his turning into sand powers in action.

• 2 weeks later...

so... im seeing im not the only one to have a melee symbiote spiderman with lackluster skin aps... this really bugged me... and because of it i really wasnt enjoying the mate....

i decided to take matters in my own hands... i grabbed a brush and went to work... it seems the games workshop/citadel miniatures paint called "elf flesh" is spot on with most minimate skin.... i painted him up and he looks at least 12 times better... i highly recommend doing this..... totally worth it! ... also i added a bit of white to his eye as it suffered the same fate as his skin B)