UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Boxed Sets vs. Waves

I just pre-ordered the Marvel Zombies boxed set and I have to say I'm relieved this wasn't offered as a wave. I am NOT a fan of short-packed chase figures at all, especially if they're popular variants like Black Spidey. It just pisses me off when a manufacturer decides to try to build "excitement" by making collecting frustrating as all hell.

I would LOVE to see future Marvel and BSG waves offered as boxed sets instead. That works for completists like me, of course, but obviously not for those who just want that Vision figure or Six variant and are stuck with four or five other characters for $15.

So is DST testing the waters with boxed sets like this? Might this be the way they're heading with Marvel Minimates? Hopefully it's just a new direction and not a sign of the line being in its death throes like Pocket Superheroes not too long ago.

I think we'll keep seeing Marvel in waves like they are.

My guess is that stores like Suncoast/FYE etc prefer box sets to 2 packs and as you say DST are trying to get those sorts of stores to take minimates.

T.

I myself dislike variant/shortpacked figures. It's sometimes makes it difficult to sell remaining stock. I like boxsets but I believe they cannot always work for for everything. I think DST is testing the waters but I don't think they will replace the 2-packs. I would prefer boxsets for Teams or TV/Movies.

If you are a kid and you only have $6-$8 and you see a boxset of minimates, he won't be able to buy them. That's the way I look at it. TRU 4-Packs did well for $10 a peice, I think more so because the specialty wave wasn't available yet.

Specialty sets of course are more expensive, but what I like most about them is that you can buy them individually from your comic shop and you are not forced to buy a case. Previews makes them available individually to specialty.

Ultimately I prefer Marvel/BSG to be sold like DC Minimates all evenly packed.

Boxed Sets are the way to go for any number of reasons. Here are the most important to me:

1. Cost

-You can get 4 to 5 figures for around $20 where you can pay over $30 for 5 figures in a wave and that's not counting the variant that can sometimes double that price.

2. Quanity

-I love getting a new action figure. Even more I love getting a 2-pack (especially if it's Hero vs villain). However, getting 4 or 5 figures at a time is like Christmas. There is just something about getting more figures at one time that just feels better.

3. Availability

-Like TBT said, common retailers are going to be more subject to carrying a Boxed Set as opposed to a bunch of 2-packs. We say TRU carry only Boxed Sets in the begining. Since Minimate popularity has picked up since the begining there is a good change that TRU may pick up more boxed sets in the future, along with the likes of Target and Walmart and that just makes them more readily available for fans.

4. No Variants

-Don't get my wrong, Symbiote Spider-Man is still one of my favorite Minimates and I'll be the first to tell you that Bearded Thor looks bad-a, but I know I'm not the only one that is sick of Variants. I had to pay $25 for my Black Spider-Man set and that was the week that it came out. Every store around me that carry the 2-packs jack the price at least 50% more than the original price, that it just not fair, that's scalpting. Making boxed sets would eliminate inflation and everyone (but the Comic Book Guy) happy.

5. More Obscure Figures

-Let's face it, it's a shot in the dark that we will ever see a Canonball or Ultimate Iron Man figure. However, we might see an X-Men Boxed set with Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, and Canonball or a History of Iron Man Boxed Set with Origin Iron Man, Modern Iron Man, War Machine, and Ultimate Iron Man. There are just so figures that are at the bottom of the list and might not be smart to market in a 2-pack, but they would fit with a big name like Wolverine or Spider-Man in a boxed set.

Overall, I don't believe we'll see the death of the 2-pack, but I can still be hopeful. I've loved the idea of Boxed Sets ever since GSX-Men #1. Seriously, we got Thunderbird, who the crap had Thunderbird on their Most Wanted List? Exactly! neo

I also hate chases, and all the trouble that come from them. Now, I do like that the variants can get you versions of a character that you may not otherwise be able to get (or in the case of the Spider-Women and Spidey 3, two different characters). If we had boxed sets, would we ever get an invisible Sue, diamond Emma, or stealth Iron Man? And while we've gotten some obscure characters in the two packs, would Thunderbird ever show up in a two pack? (Then again, who would have guessed we'd get Firestar?)

Overall, I'd say that box sets or the DC model are what I'd prefer, but I don't complain too much about variants. It can be a pain, especially when you have lame ones like the Chameleon or Ultimate Cyclops, but it can also be a good opportunity to showcase an important version of a character. In something like the BSG line, 4 versions of Six would be overkill, but with variants, it's not so bad.

There are two conversations going on here.

Box sets vs. waves

I agree, I really don't think the two packs are going anywhere, and I am ok with that. I do enjoy being able to get 8-6 figures in one swoop rather then only 4. However I do agree box sets are cool it is a great way to get figures that would never come out, but I really only foresee box set being available for special sets and will not replace the two pack system.

The variant discussion

With the exception of black Spiderman/women and the clear invisible women I really don't think any of the variants were that much of a loss. However those are huge exception. I think AA really messed up and should find away to give us a black Spiderman somehow in some way and not that crappy melee Spiderman. While the variants are fun I could live without them especially if it means getting two more figures in every wave!

Boxed sets - yes, please

2 packs - definately

singles/variants/promos - a must.

Look,

We all give our opinions here about this and that, but in the end you have to evaluate realistically.

Boxed:

Con - Too pricey for the kid, or the guy who has to pay child support.

Pro - Get them all in one snatch.

2 packs:

Con - There is always the second guy nobody really wants (Kitty Pride or any random bad choice mate)

Pro - More focused on your favorites and less money spent on figures you dont want / need.

Singles:

Con - Only sell the most popular guys. No chances being took here.

Pro - Only have to buy the one you want.

Variant 2 packs:

Con: Always stuck with a repeat...ALWAYS the crap figure!

Pro: Not all collectors can be on the same level. There has to be some exclusivety. Think about it, everyone likes to show off rarities (think: MUSEUMS!)

Cons / Other exclusives:

Con: Very few Super Nerds actually can afford to hit every con, so this means us 9 to 5 ers have to get them paying way too much.

Pro: I have some, so there are cool collectors looking out for us. Makes my collection more valid.

I do think that they should either make 2 variants per wave, or offer a new second character (or color) to that variant pack.

I believe that DST and AA have done a fantastic job chopping it up and offering variety in this vast collection. This makes perfect sense. Hold on to the ride, or get rolled over.

Only the strong survive...

WW4M

How about boxed sets for the specialty market (us collectors) and 2-packs for the mass market (kids/newbies)?

This definately might be something for DST/AA to consider MPL. I started to comment on this when the thread first started, but once again someone waved a red ball in my face and I forgot. Me personally, I like the boxed sets and haven't had a problem chasing down some of the earlier figures. So I could go either way on this, since I tend to pick up both anyway. Something I liked about the BSG 5 pack of Cylons was it gave me a jumpstart with my army of Cylons. If they keep the pricepoint to about the same, it would definately make the decision easier when picking them up.