UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toy Fair 2007 Starbuck Figure

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally editorialise my news page, but couldn't resist adding this:

Unless it's handled well (like the DC John Stewart giveaway) that this could be something that really annoys the fans. I know DST want to get the hype going for their upcoming line, but a promo 'Mate with the BSG logo on would have done that without being a "proper" figure.

I would have loved a BSG blank!

I don't normally editorialise my news page, but couldn't resist adding this:

Unless it's handled well (like the DC John Stewart giveaway) that this could be something that really annoys the fans. I know DST want to get the hype going for their upcoming line, but a promo 'Mate with the BSG logo on would have done that without being a "proper" figure.

I would have loved a BSG blank!

I agree. There are more fan-friendly ways to spread hype than releasing figures that people have a snowball's chance in hell of getting. Con exclusive sets are one thing, as they seem to find their way to the mass market either in a later release a la Ultimate Spiderman, Gray Hulk, etc, or just become easier to find via eBay, Stuckakids, etc. But having a retailer exclusive figure is just like waving a middle finger at your fans, as you've released something cool, something new, something that fits in with the rest of your line, and more importantly, something only a happy few of your actual fans will ever see. At least John Stewart was given away to anyone visiting the DCD booth, making it available to the masses. Starbuck is only going to companies that turn around and sell the stuff for huge profits. Hey, kinda like Starbucks!

It's all right by me to have these exclusives around, it just makes it something more rare for your collection; so if their are't many around you just save up your money to get one if you have to, and go on the "hunt" for it! Thats one of the things that make collecting fun...at least for me!

By the way theres one on ebay right now for a Buy it Now price of 49.99!

I think there's a massive, massive difference between the 2005 Retailers Summit Black Blank, or the Toyfair 2005 White Blank, and giving people's FIRST EVER CHANCE at a human Battlestar Galactica Minimate be a ridiculously hard to get exclusive.

It doesn't sit well with me. That would of course change if I had one :D

So if I call my LCS, there is a chance they have one?

If they went to Toy Fair, yes. As most retailers don't make the trip to NY for the show (since it's a trade show, mainly focused on selling to buyers) I'd say chances of your LCS getting one are pretty slim - unless DST pulls a suprise and sends them out to stores and Radicals....

If you're a collector who never opens their toys, then yeah, this is going to be a tough one to track down. But for the rest of us, I don't think there's any need to pay $50 for this one mate.

This figure will definitely be available again, either as a straight rerelease or as an easy part swap. First of all, Starbuck is a major character and will definitely pop up again in more assortments down the line. Secondly, the black & grey undershirt look is iconic to the show, so we'll definitely see at least one other character with this deco. Thirdly, it shouldn't be a problem for most folks to find a pair of bare arms, should it come to that.

Ok, I'm new here so be kind please... :D

Is 49.99 too much to pay? I know it's only one figure, but c'mon it's STARBUCK for frakk's sake!!! I guess I'm just looking for validation before my partner finds out I spent that much on a two inch toy... :woot:

Hey Welcome aboard R.B.875, (and yes I shorten everyones names I'm just too lazy to type them in full all the time) :)

It's a darn good question, I think it's worth what it's worth to you... yep that sounds cheesy but it's true.

If you can afford the cash and are happy about lying to your Partner then could be a bargain... or not...

Some things to remember when deciding....

Firstly we're getting a Starbuck in the first wave of BSG in March (feel free to correct me on the timeline there guys) Albeit it in a slightly different uniform, so if it's just a Starbuck you need then I'd wait til wave 1 and buy several of her, one for the offfice, the lounge, the car, the bathroom :unsure: etc...

S.B. is right they wouldn't have gone to all the effort to make a tampo print for the shirt for it only to appear on a ltd run T.F. exclusive. So if you're an opener, can wait & are willig to play parts swap etc. then you could save some cash.

on the other hand...

Are you a compulsive completest? We have a couple here who have to have everything and another set in packaging. If you are then you're going to end up getting one anyways telling yourself that you're not doing it this time is just sad denial. :) and yes I pretty much of fall into this category.

I think these 'Mint in Baggie' are going to become very rare, partly a guess at numbers and partly gut feeling. The toyfare blank from last year hardly ever shows up on ebay these days, and that wasn't a character people will want to get out of the bag and play with.

I say wait a couple of days to see how many appear on ebay as toyfare is only half way through, who knows we might get a flood and they sell for $10, I cant see them going much over $50 in the near future, but I can see there being demand and then it slowly creeping up.

I hope the above helps a little?

T.

Very well put, TBT!, and my regards on having a name that virtually can't be shortened!

Back to the point, if you (meaning rodbender) enjoy your baggie Starbuck, then more power to you, dude, and price be damned. We all collect different stuff for different reasons. Those of us with more patience get a great amount of satisfaction in finding the really rare stuff that the typical person usually doesn't hold on to, like AA paperwork - I'm thinking of the Christmas postcard that came with the Elf Cylon. I used to have a complete vintage Jetfire Transformer and I kept all the parts in the styrofoam packaging. I got a real kick out of having a simple piece of packaging that most kids threw away.

But TBT! speaks wisdom - you shouldn't open your baggie Starbuck! Its value is in its packaging. And, if you really regret your decision, you can always throw it back up on eBay (or on the sales board here) and get some of your money back.

As TBT suggested, it depends on who you're not being polite to. :thumbsup:

"I do say, sir. I am terribly sorry to have to do this, but I'm afraid I must out bit you now."

Kidding aside, I think its been agreed upon that these are free-for-alls, a la Gold and Silver Spidey. Should a wealth of them appear at later shows or in later assortments then that could change, but for now, I say go for it.

A little tact might be in order in terms of outbidding other members. This is in no way as rare as a Gold or Silver Spidey and as has been said more will be popping up on eBay soon. The Cylon Elf was available in abundance shortly after we learned about it.

I don't want to be outbid but if you are going to try to outbid me how's about a PM first?

A little tact might be in order in terms of outbidding other members. This is in no way as rare as a Gold or Silver Spidey and as has been said more will be popping up on eBay soon. The Cylon Elf was available in abundance shortly after we learned about it.

I don't want to be outbid but if you are going to try to outbid me how's about a PM first?

lol this wouldn't jsut happend to be because you happen to havea low bid would it fujis :P

I say having to PM first on these is a little pointless, for now. We've pretty much agreed that while there are hard to find then it's open season, If someone outbids you dont take it personally IT's ebay it happens all the time.

T.

Of course it's because I'm bidding on one! :tongue:

But personally I make it a point to never outbid a member unless it's for a Gold or Silver Spidey. I've desperately wanted to in the past but I refrained, of course people can do whatever they want, it is eBay and yes, it does happen.