UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AI generated customs

Hey Folks,

Just wondering if anyone younger and / or smarter than me has been able to get AI to assist in custom creation. I managed a Ferro face on my own. But I wanted to see if I could get AI to generate a Lance Henrikson face in Minimate style that I could use to make a clean Bishop. :) I wasn't successful  at my goal but saw some really cool images of Lance Henrikson toys that never existed. I would love a Minimate customizing AI where I could just say I want a clean Bishop or a Ferro or a Thunderlips ... etc. and it gives me back something suitable to make stickers from. Seems like not that far away. Then if DST would sell custom colored blank body parts, you could make a Minimate of anyone.

Anyhow, if anyone has had any success in this direction, or even failures, I'd love to hear about them

Cheers everyone!

I'm curious what people will think of my Bishop that I hacked together in Gimp using a bunch of AI generated images of Lance Henriksen. It still took some work but I don't have the art skills to make anything close to this good on my own. BTW, anyone is welcome to use this for a custom if they want.

Bishop

If you're curious, I used this tool https://aicreate.com/prompt-generator-for-text-to-image/ to help generate something to pass to the AI. So I typed in, "lance henriksen face aliens in pop art style monochrome very low detail"

It spits out something like, "Pop art monochrome portrait of Lance Henriksen as Bishop from Aliens franchise, with minimalistic details, flat background, and sharp edges. A tribute to the iconic android character, reminiscent of Lichtenstein's style. Trending on Artstation, highly stylized, perfect for minimalist décor; 4k resolution, black and white, unique artistic twist." which I then submit to the AI and get some sample images back. The above was then modified from one of the images. I also got some interesting images back by typing "comic book style" and "coloring book style" instead of "pop art". Looking at what comes back, I'm wondering if some of you might recommend specific artist styles to request to get a nice simple image suitable for a minimate decal.

Now that I think of it the above was cropped from a single image. I was playing with taking different bits from different faces but this did come from one. I took out the nose and other bits I didn't want and added color to his eyes.

Edited by cylonchaney

It's just an experiment. I started trying to get it to draw me a minimate style face but I can't even get it to cut off the noses. :) So then I started working towards can I get it to create simple monochrome designs that look like the person. I've done a couple now. In some cases taking the eyes from one and the mouth from another, etc.

The blur on the second one is partly from scaling it in different dimensions and partly because the source art had some faint shading. I'm hoping it will look OK at minimate scale. I'm going to print both of them and see how they look. It's been so hard not to test already but I want to get a full sticker sheet of stuff planned before printing.

Can you think of any artists I might reference whose style will be easy to "Minimatize"? Nexxt time I"m messing around I'll try Luke's name. I wonder what I'll get. LOL

Also if anyone has experience with this stuff and knows how I could get it to not draw the nose, please do share.

54 minutes ago, cylonchaney said:

It's just an experiment. I started trying to get it to draw me a minimate style face but I can't even get it to cut off the noses. :) So then I started working towards can I get it to create simple monochrome designs that look like the person. I've done a couple now. In some cases taking the eyes from one and the mouth from another, etc.

The blur on the second one is partly from scaling it in different dimensions and partly because the source art had some faint shading. I'm hoping it will look OK at minimate scale. I'm going to print both of them and see how they look. It's been so hard not to test already but I want to get a full sticker sheet of stuff planned before printing.

Can you think of any artists I might reference whose style will be easy to "Minimatize"? Nexxt time I"m messing around I'll try Luke's name. I wonder what I'll get. LOL

Also if anyone has experience with this stuff and knows how I could get it to not draw the nose, please do share.

Yeah, Darwyn Cooke. His faces look simple, cartoony, and very Minimate-Ready. 

Mike Allred too for the same reason. 

I'm liking where this is going somewhat. But the first attempt came out brutal. However, I did also find some Lee Majors images for a 6 Million Dollar Man custom I've been using to test some techniques. It looks too crap to post a photo. But it's a better likeness than the generic face I was using before.I can see that ideally you'd capture just the eyes lips and a hint of cheekbone if appropriate. Much more detail than that becomes too busy. I think I'm going to try some more with my original plan which was to just  take basically eyes and lips and hope it's enough to capture the essence of the character.  I need to find a way to make the eyes bigger too.

It's been kind of fun. And I'm really just a monkey throwing bananas. Maybe there's already a way to train it to make a minimate face and I just don't know. But I bet it won't be long before you can throw it a few minimate faces and then say make me a Steve Buscemi face and bam out comes this simple noseless thing that somehow looks like Steve Buscemi. :)