UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AA Q&A Interpreted

Are the BSG Minimates going to be sold anywhere other than specialty shops and online stores? Will we see them in Toys R Us or Target?

DSTChuck: So far no big chains are interested BUT Comic stores, online retailers as well as Suncoast will be supporting the line - so please support them!

Translation: Write to your favorite big-box retailer. Whine like a cranky fanboy that you have to travel 100 miles to the nearest stinking comic shop just to order these at ridiculous prices and smile while doing so. They might take the hint. Hell, if they can stock Battlestar Galactica die-cast ships at $4.99 each, they should have been able to pick up a few Minimates. Then again, DST isn't as sneaky as Hasbro, slipping a few BSG SKUs into the Star Wars assortments. Maybe we should try sneaking some BSG 'mates into the Marvel cases. As if your typical retail buyer is even gonna notice.

Now that you've acquired the Office Space license can we expect to see Minimate versions of our favorite cubicle-bound heroes?

DSTChuck: Maybe some day.

Translation: Ummm... no. Next.

Since Marvel is doing a cross-over with Dynamite which will pit Ash of The Evil Dead Trilogy fame against the Marvel Zombies can we expect that trend to continue into the 2" scale? Marvel Minimate Zombies vs. a Minimate Ash?

DSTChuck: We no longer hold an Army of Darkness license.

Translation: And even if we did, figuring out the math on royalties would NOT be worth the nosebleed.

And speaking of Ash, has DST thought of acquiring the Army of Darkness license?

DSTChuck: See above.

Translation: I'm sorry, what? You were mumbling.

Can you explain the extreme price-drop and subsequent cancellation of the Resin Display Stand?

DSTChuck: Sales on the initial offering were very weak but we thought it was a cool item. We offered again at our cost and sales were not much better, so wasn't worth going forward.

Translation: Noboday wanted the friggin' thing. And yes, you will ALL be sorry, especially when you see how great it would have gone with the BSG and 24 'mates. You people have no vision. And you're CHEAP! Next question!

Has DST considered making a carrying case for the Marvel Minimates or even one for the upcoming BSG line?

DSTChuck: Would be cool, but something like that is just not practical for a company like ours. Items like that are best suited for places like Target and Wal-Mart etc.. and most of what we do is more specialty.

Translation: I've got a carrying case for you. It's called a TACKLE BOX. Or how about Mr. Pocket? Maybe you could ask mom for an extra paper bag, hm? NEXT QUESTION.

What does DST think of the fan-based Minimate sites out there? I'm asking specifically about Minimate Headquarters but I know that you guys pop in on the Multiverse from time-to-time.

DSTChuck: I think its great that there is so much interest in these little guys that people dedicate their precious free time to making a website! I'm honored as are all of the people involved.

Translation: It's pretty damned scary there are so many of you out there obsessing over every little aspect of someone else's job. Really keeps us on our toes. No, really.

Will the second wave of Street Fighter Minimates be released?

DSTChuck: Not looking good...

Translation: If by "released" you mean sent back to video game oblivion where it belonged, then yeah, it's totally gonna be released.

What's you guys' take on the AA Kellogg's minimates?

DSTChuck: You'd have to ask AA.

Translation: Snap crackle crap. We're SO angry Adam Unger jumped on this property before we did. Because it was looking pretty sexy for a loooonnnngg time. Damn us for sitting on the fence for so long. DAMN us.

Are the Street Fighter 4-packs doing as well as you guys hoped? Do you think they could warrant the release of wave 2? What's your take on the trouble with the first wave? Was it the lack of availability, or would a more popular pool of characters have sold better?

DSTChuck: Sales on the 4 packs have been lukewarm.

Translation: Street Fighter 'mates should be kept away from beasts of burden because, in our experience, they suck donkey balls.

What prompted the decision to release a Cylon heavy first wave of BSG Minimates as opposed to one featuring a wide array of characters? Also, any updates on the release of the classic line?

DSTChuck: We REALLY wanted to get something out during season 3 and to all the fans that had been waiting so long. For now, the only classic BSG Minimates on the schedule are the Cylons.

Translation: We went with Cylons first because it's a really, REALLY cheap way to test the waters. I mean, c'mon, we're talking TWO sets of toolings for two SKU's. And since orders for Modern Cylons totally kicked the collective ass of the Classic Toasters, it's gonna be a while before you see a dude named "Starbuck" in this line. (Probably as a chase variant.)

In a previous Q&A, I asked if there was a P2 colored Lilith in the blind-packed Street Fighter Minimates made for the Japanese market. In response, you said that you'd have to check the matrix to find out for sure. Have you come across that matrix recently, and does P2 Lilith exist?

DSTChuck: I believe it does exist.

Translation: You're mumbling again. I can't understand a word you said. Next.

Are the post-wave 1 Battlestar Minimate faces 'set in stone' or can they be tweaked?

DSTChuck: Everything seen so far for BSG past the Cylon wave has been the hand-painted prototypes.

Translation: Oh, we're sorry. We neglected to get your approval on this wave! Tell you what. From here on in, we're just gonna go ahead and let you sign off on concept art. Universal Consumer Products will love that. NEXT.

Any chance of a C3 viper for BSG?

DSTChuck: I don't think so.

Translation: Yeah, there's a chance. Oops, there it went.

I know Palz use to have a Buffy Minimate type line. Any thoughts of pursuing that?

DSTChuck: Maybe

Translation: Abso-griggin'-lutely are we gonna be offering Buffy 'mates. It won't be as cool as Palisades' with all the extra accessories and build-an-environments, but hey, they'll be in scale with most other lines! AND we'll have the added fun of hard-to-find chase figures! Yippee!

Is there any pursuit of Minimates being sold through other, less conventional outlets?

DSTChuck: I'm sure our sales guys are turning over every rock possible.

Translation: Unless by "less conventional outlets" you mean a stripper's g-string, probably not because most sales associates lack something we call kinetic energy. Especially when it comes to licensed properties, these lazy bums expect the product to sell itself. Sloths.

Since the first series of BSG has changed from the original planned characters(Apollo, Adama, Baltar, Six, Starbuck, Boomer), does this change things for the previously mentioned 4-packs as well? Has the line-up changed for the "classic"BSG assortment also? When might we expect these, the vehicles, and the "classic" BSG series to hit specialty market and/or retail? And lastly, ARE retail (TRU, Target, etc.) stores going to carry these (if so, who, what, and WHEN)? Thanks for all of your hard work!

DSTChuck: Everything that you heard in the past (over a year ago) on BSG is no longer acuate. All plans were re-done and the line has been re-focused.

Translation: Despite what the licensor desperately wanted us to believe, Classic BSG does NOT resonate with the collecting community NEARLY as well as the modern version does. Classic BSG is a pimple on the ass of its contemporary counterpart when it comes to sales potential and we've now got the numbers to back it up. So sorry Dirk Benedict, but it's gonna be quite some time before you get that residual check for all that hard work you gave ABC back in the late 70's. Maybe if you'd just suck it up and do a cameo or twelve on the new show like your old pal Richard Hatch did, you could join us in the 21st century and make a few bucks on a DECENT show instead of crying like a bitch and resting on your 30-year-old laurels. Good luck on the convention circuit, has-been.

I think MisterPL should "translate" all the Q&As from now on. This is easily the best Q&A I've ever read... and I've been around for a while. :)

Here Here! These were all the answers we were thinking, but someone else just wrote them down for us and added "ass pimple" and other colorful language for a more robust flavor. I loved it. Maybe PL would be willing to translate other speeches such as the State of the Union Address and the Academy Awards. :thumbsup:

Of course the Cynic in me wonders if the fact we get answers at all relies on some "bullshit".

Yes PL's answers are amusing but I hope they dont Jeopardize Ady's hard work at getting DST on board to actually interact with MMMV.

T.

Oh, I think both DSTChuck and DSTMatt have great senses of humor and thick skin TBT. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure they get the joke ;) I think when you have to worry is when members get overzealous in their questions and don't like the reply they were given :unsure: I'm sure that DST will continue with the Q&A here, since it's a large fanbase and they can reach more of their consumers/market here. Ady has done a fine job and I think he knows it by the way he's worried about the site going down temporarily. Keep up the fine work guys, I'm glad I can get my Minimate answers somewhere still :thumbsup:

Hmmm I'm torn. The cynic in me says hurah for saying what we were all thinking, but the frosted side of me... No that's not right. I would never complain about a bit of dry humor, though I would worry that (and I think this idea has been tossed around before) if we get too carried away we may never get any information again. Maybe if you included a humor tag just in case...

Yanno I think the 1st DST Q&A we had here was a lot better than any I read over at the old AA boards.

You have to understand that those guys have to keep some things close to their chests, but where a yes/no answer could be given it was given.

Having said that. Nice translation MrPL :D I'm with TBT though, I hope it doesn't screw up all the hard work put in by the site staff.

heh. heh.

I shouldn't think this would hurt our Q&A interaction (of course, I don't actually know the DST boys from a one-legged hurdler), since PL's translations aren't really making fun of DST Chuck. I see them more as tweaking the question askers. I see it as a "Thanks Chuck, for so politely putting up with us." I just hope DST sees it that way...

I did the same thing on the Art Asylum forum as a moderator there and it didn't seem to hurt DST's relationship with them.

Having worked with DSTChuck on the previous Q&A's for AA, I think I have a pretty good sense of the guy's disposition. I'm not trying to speak for anyone but myself of course, just suggesting that my "translations" are often what corporate representatives would generally LIKE to say but can't due to policies and political correctness. Anyone who's been in retail or customer service knows exactly where I'm coming from.

I just couldn't help seeing this on the AA site and reading between the lines. And I try to take as many shots at collectors as I do the hard-working, eager-to-please folks at DST. I'm an equal opportunity offender, but if it's making Ady the least bit nervous, I'll knock it off because I love him like a brother.

Now if Dirk Benedict wants to chime in, I'm all ears.