UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

MOVIEMATES: A Custom Minimates Contest

Fujis

Brand new forum, brand new contest...

moviematesposter.jpg

The "Moviemates" pictured above were created by Greg Hyland.

MOVIEMATES!

This contest is all about possibilities: Celluloid possibilities. Many film characters have been made into block figures, some have even been "mated" but the Minimates have yet to fully exploit the money making potential that Hollywood promises. And that's where you come in...

You will create a Minimate custom based on a character from a film with one important restriction: the custom cannot be from any of the licenses that AA holds or has held in the past. That means no Marvel, DC, Indie, Streetfighter, Darkstalkers, Battlestar Galactica, Speed Racer, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Rock, Bruce Lee or Dark Angel! We have seen how well these licenses have translated into minimate form. It's now time to push the envelope and see what else they can do!

So pull out your DVD collection, dust of your membership to Blockbuster, and let's turn some film characters into Moviemates!

THE RULES

1) Deadline for submission is July 15th, 2006.

2) One (1) custom minimate submission per person.

3) Customs must be a character from a movie but they cannot be from current or past AA licenses.

4) I would prefer if customs were altered in some way (paint, putty) but "quick customs" will be allowed.

5) Customs must be new or at least not posted online before June 15th, 2006.

6) Customs must be posted in this thread to be considered. Keep image size in mind when posting!

7) Do not post comments on the submissions until after the vote! Let's keep this thread easy to navigate.

8) Winners will be determined through a voting system (explained below).

9) I reserve the right to change or modify any and all rules and/or prizes without prior notification.

THE PRIZES

diamondselectlogo.jpg

The prizes for this contest have been donated by none other than Diamond Select Toys! We have eight Marvel 2-packs up for grabs: Captain America/Absorbing Man, Thing/Dr.Doom, Battle Damaged Daredevil/Bullseye, Dark Phoenix/Cyclops, Patch/Ladydeathstrike, White Queen/New Cyclops, Rogue/Mystique, and Cable/Bishop!

civilgroup015.jpg

Photo by Jatta Pake. Actual prizes are packaged...MIP in fact.

The first (1st) place winner will get to choose four (4) 2-packs, followed by second (2nd) place who will get to choose two (2) 2-packs, and third (3rd) place will receive the two (2) 2-packs that remain. And how do we decide the winners? I'm so glad you asked...

THE VOTE

1) Ballots will be accepted from July 15th - July 23rd, 2006

2) One (1) ballot per person.

3) Ballots must contain votes for three customs: First (1st), Second (2nd), and Third (3rd) place

4) I will use a point system to calculate the winner giving three (3) points for a first place vote, two (2) points for a second place vote, and one (1) point for third. The entry with the most points will be awarded first place, the next highest second place, and so on.

5) Anyone can vote and yes, you can vote for your own work!

6) Ballots must be sent to me in a PM (Private Message).

7) The winners will be declared on (or shortly after) July 24th, 2006.

QUESTIONS?

If you have a question please post it in the thread as there will no doubt be others with the same question. Once I have answered the question please delete your post and I will update the rules or make a FAQ section if need be.

Thanks for looking and best of luck to all!

Contest Q & A

How about a 2-pack, Fujis? Most movies would be better represented with a "Hero" and a "Villan" figure...

Sure, it's more work, but the results would be so much better.

You are more than welcome to make a 2-pack but only one of the figures from it can be entered. And I understand your point about better representation but a contest which required two customs as an entry would severely limit the number of participants and I want to get as many submissions as possible!

Can people enter 3D models of "movie-mates" like the Mortal Kombat one you had as an example? Or is this only for real mini-mate figures? Also, is there a limit to how many different customized figures we can enter?

This contest is only for "real minimate figures". I do hold a yearly contest for drawn customs but you just missed it. And I refer you to #2 in the Rules, "One (1) custom minimate submission per person."

Why no quick customs?

Surely if someone has the inspiration to make something that looks so great people will vote for it over something that someone has painted or moulded then it's worthy of the win?

*edit* Quick customs are now eligible!

Does it have to be movies? Like, say I wanted to do Tomb Raider. But I don't want to do Angelina Jolie's wetsuit version. Can I do the "classic" blue Lara Croft? Or any version of Lara Croft? She had a movie, it just wasn't her. :P

The character that you make must be from a movie. That's why it's called "Moviemates" ;)

So if you want to make a Lara Croft custom it has to be based on how she appeared in the two films and not the video games.

how can i enter

well can i enter a moviemate late!!!! I just barely learned about the contest today!!! How bout tommorrow how do i enter it in the contest!!!

well my moviemate is going to be famke janssen in x2!!!

Well as Danny was so kind to point out read points 1 & 6 in the Rules section above. And in regards to your plans for an X2 minimate I refer you to point 3: "Customs must be a character from a movie but they cannot be from current or past AA licenses." Which means no Marvel characters whatsoever. I appreciate your enthusiam though.

• 3 weeks later...

i guess i'll be the first one to enter, here my entrey Dr. hannibal the cannable lector, from silence of the lambs, hannibal and red dragon.

my camra sucks so the picture might be a little blury.

hanniblethecannable2ie.th.png

Here is my entry, the T-1000 from Terminator 2:

T1000t.gif

Click to view larger image

The T-1000 is inspired from his various appearances in the film. For his damaged head, I drilled a hole through a minimate head, and made the "liquid metal" damage out of milliput. His helmet is also sculpted from milliput, with sheet plastic for the sunglasses. His metal arms were cut from some plastic rods, and his "metal finger" hands are modified Wolverine hands. His belt and handgun are from a Cable minimate.

Here's my entry for the MovieMates contest:

David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King from 1986's Labyrinth.

Jareth.jpg

I see the line much like the LOTR Minis... 3" Ludo, 2.5" Human figures (Jareth here, and the forthcoming Sarah figure), 2" Goblins, Hoggle, Sir Didimus, Toby, erry'ting else...

This figure was a lot of fun for me to do. I'm a huge Bowie fan, and a big fan of the movie. I had a blast making the hair. I made the crystal holding hand from scratch, also the frilly collar and cuffs and the cane.

Time's up! Put the paint brush down and step away from the Sculpey! All of the contestants, some familiar faces and some soon-to-be familiar I'm sure, have immortalized some of films most endearing characters in Minimate form. I wish they could all walk away with a prize but they can't! And so it's time to vote!

THE VOTE

1) Ballots will be accepted from July 15th - July 23rd, 2006

2) One (1) ballot per person.

3) Ballots must contain votes for three customs: First (1st), Second (2nd), and Third (3rd) place

4) I will use a point system to calculate the winner giving three (3) points for a first place vote, two (2) points for a second place vote, and one (1) point for third. The entry with the most points will be awarded first place, the next highest second place, and so on.

5) Anyone can vote and yes, you can vote for your own work!

6) Ballots must be sent to me in a PM (Private Message).

7) The winners will be declared on (or shortly after) July 24th.

Take a look through the Contest Gallery below and vote for your three favorites! Thanks to everyone that participated and best of luck!

CONTEST GALLERY

Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest by Lurch77 -9 points

Dr. Hannibal Lecter from Silence of the Lambs by skull buster -5 points

Elwood J. Blues from The Blues Brothers by AdyCarter -2 points

Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China by jcastick -2 points

Jareth the Goblin King from Labyrinth by antacost -18 points

Judge Dredd from Judge Dredd by nikkitony1 -24 points

T-1000 from Terminator 2: Judgment Day by luke314pi -41 points

Tony Montana from Scarface by dirge -7 points

...and also pimped the voting stage in MMC's news section.

Thanks Danny! I appreciate the linkage. And thanks again to everyone that entered and big ups to DST for sponsoring the contest! Keep those votes coming!

And the winners are...

In 3rd place with 18 points: Jareth the Goblin King by antacost!

In 2nd place with 24 points: Judge Dredd by nikkitony1!

And in 1st place with 41 points: T-1000 by Luke314pi!

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all those that participated! Hopefully next year's contest will attract more customizers (and I promise not to hold the contest so close to SDCC)!

It was exciting to see these film characters in Minimate form and it seems that DST is going to be making Rocky minimates. I know that has nothing to do with this contest but I like to pretend that it had some influence on the decision.

Again, a big thank you to Diamond Select Toys for sponsoring the contest. Thank you to the customizers for their amazing work! And to the voters...you guys make these contests what they are.

I have added to the point totals to the Contest Gallery a few posts up if anyone is interested and please feel free to leave comments on the customs!

Thanks for the votes everyone...

Congrats to Luke and nikkitony1 on a prize well earned.

Thanks to Fujis for the opportunity.

Can't wait for the next contest.