UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Upgrade & Its Moderation Week!

As I said, the post counts are "not the only criteria" I use. What if someone has not completed a trade yet, but has spent the past few months contributing meaningful posts to the board? A very recent contest winner had 2 posts in their three plus months on the board and both were in the Contests threads. Would you deal with them? If there were no post counts you may be led to think, "hey this guy's been around for months and I haven't heard anything bad about/from him". In reality he could be someone just hanging out looking for handouts and/or trying to scam somebody gullible in the Trading Post. We've had that element before. In my opinion, the counts are just another tool to know who you're dealing with.

:) I wasn't saying The List is the definitive answer but a good place to start, the question is do the benefits outweigh the 'me too' post counting we've started to see. Heck even those who have good trades and have been here for ages can make bad trades, one previous member who no longer posts here in specific springs to mind.

The best tool for trading is common sense if you ask me ;)

Let's not get caught up on symantics :)

T.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the new look. I really like the icons next to posts that tell if someone is onhere at the time. That's cool. This reply box is pretty complex looking too...

Ya know, I was never a huge supporter of post counts. I always left boards where it's "I have more post counts then you!" It's stupid. However, I don't get where all this animosity is coming from. Also, the qualifications for spam are kinda strict. 'If you're gona talk do it in PM' type things. Well personally I thought this was a friendly place where all participation was encouraged. I'm not sure what the big deal is with spamming right now. Except for spambots. I hate those things. *pulls out shotgun*

I think the animosity stems from a few points. The lack of respect in the Ask DST thread was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I'd imagine Ady worked pretty hard to get DST talking to us and would be pretty upset (rightly so IMO) if someone screwed that relationship up.

Also, people expecting handouts here - John Stewart GL, the random give aways, the Cylon Elf, etc - these are things given and done out of kindness - nothing that's owed to anyone here. Some members, unfortunately, don't understand this so a reminder is obviously needed.

Yeah, I understand the handout thing. That is really upsetting. It's always been a problem when people are nice, and always will be. I'm not sure what you're talking about the ask DST thread though. Yes, I asked some very pointed questions, but I'm just blunt and I felt they needed to be answered. I didn't really see any spam in their either, and what it has to do with post counts, I don't know. Anyways, yeah. *shrug*

I also have a problem I thought I'd point out. I can't stay logged in, even when I click the "remember me" box.

Works great for me! It's probably a browser issue at your end, check your settings for cookies/saving passwords etc. as I believe that's part of the 'how it knows it's you' process.

BTW is that a spamtastic double post Dinobot? And in the moderation week thread too :P

T.

New skin looks great in IE. Hope it translates as well in Safari. I'm not at all bothered to see the post counts disappear. I don't think they really bear any relevance on trading. I had a trade going with someone who was a regular contributor and trader and they disappeared on me back in August. Mind you, they've since disappeared completely from the board too. Go figure.

Shane, do you like onions?

Just a question, have our avatars been affected by this change? Mine justs looks a bit pixelated.

They shouldn't have been affected...

I also have a problem I thought I'd point out. I can't stay logged in, even when I click the "remember me" box.

Clear your cookies, if that still doesnt work let me know, I can force a new cookie key.

I think the animosity stems from a few points. The lack of respect in the Ask DST thread was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I'd imagine Ady worked pretty hard to get DST talking to us and would be pretty upset (rightly so IMO) if someone screwed that relationship up.

Also, people expecting handouts here - John Stewart GL, the random give aways, the Cylon Elf, etc - these are things given and done out of kindness - nothing that's owed to anyone here. Some members, unfortunately, don't understand this so a reminder is obviously needed.

Reideen speaks the truth :D

This whole clamp down for a week thing is mainly just to remind people that while we are a message board there are some messages that are just stupid, that while you may start a topic you in no way "own" that topic and it doesnt give you a god given right to post what you want in it and that the giveaways and contests etc are because we feel nice and it is in no way your right as members to get free stuff.

This place costs me and several others time and money, please be respectful of that :D

I'm not sure what you're talking about the ask DST thread though. Yes, I asked some very pointed questions, but I'm just blunt and I felt they needed to be answered. I didn't really see any spam in their either, and what it has to do with post counts, I don't know. Anyways, yeah. *shrug*

See, thats where you are horribly wrong. DST needs not answer to you, me or anyone. So "needed to be answered" is a moot point. Also, "I'm just blunt" won't cut it. A measure of expected etiquette has been handed down and will be surgically maintained. We're not here to kiss DST's ass, but them reaching out to us and offering us news and answers to relevant (and respectfully worded) questions is a big deal and I won't let it get ruined.

well im with shane, they are here at their own will to help us so we just HAVE to be nice.

but i have to say, i like the update on the site :D

i just have to get used to the reply button being gone(or just hidden that happens alot to me), but i like it alot :)

I'm not sure what you're talking about the ask DST thread though. Yes, I asked some very pointed questions, but I'm just blunt and I felt they needed to be answered.

As someone who ran dozens of Q&A's with DST for over a year, I have to say I'm baffled by any perception that any of the questions in that thread were out of line or somehow disrespectful. This isn't just because I've seen worse over at the AA board, it's because I've re-read the thread in question three times already and, unless it's been edited, I'm just not seeing it. Maybe I'm thicker skinned or just dense but if someone could point out which questions were out of line, I'd appreciate it. (Learn by example, you know.)

All I can say is that everyone should look in the mirror and think about what you can do to make this place better. Think about how you are posting and what attitude/tone you are projecting. We can all do better in our posting. I know I will try to do the best that I can and I hope many of you do as well.

I'm not sure what you're talking about the ask DST thread though. Yes, I asked some very pointed questions, but I'm just blunt and I felt they needed to be answered.

As someone who ran dozens of Q&A's with DST for over a year, I have to say I'm baffled by any perception that any of the questions in that thread were out of line or somehow disrespectful. This isn't just because I've seen worse over at the AA board, it's because I've re-read the thread in question three times already and, unless it's been edited, I'm just not seeing it. Maybe I'm thicker skinned or just dense but if someone could point out which questions were out of line, I'd appreciate it. (Learn by example, you know.)

None of the questions got trimmed out, by me anyways, if anyone retracted them they wouldnt be there, but the tone from a couple of people was pretty sucky. That said though I didnt edit any out when I sent it into DST, Im sure people will see by how those questions get answered if they are acceptable or not....

Its partly a case of eggshells at the moment, we're onto a good thing with DST support (news, QAs and contests) and I think everyone just wants to make sure we dont piss em off straight away.

The attitude to DST was just one thing of amny that prompted this "be nice people" message, several long time members had come to me concerned about certain posts, people and mindsets.

None of the questions got trimmed out, by me anyways, if anyone retracted them they wouldnt be there, but the tone from a couple of people was pretty sucky.

I'm assuming that some of the questionable questions were regarding QC. What's really sucky is how much of their product is breaking right out of the package. Are we supposed to ignore that when asking DST? Their lower quality is a BIG topic IMO. So is the problem it that we are calling them out on it, or how we're calling them out on it?

I agree with MisterPL- I didn't think anyone was outright rude, but as a consumer we can ask for answers or abandon the line. Which is worse for the future of Minimates?

If you can point out quality control issues without being juvenile or insulting, you will not have anything to worry about. I think this all boils down to the same problems with spam and stupid pointless posts. Entitlement. Some folks seem to think that we all want to hear every little thought or opinion that crosses their mind and that they can throw words around with the Ask DST. That is obviously not the case.

Are we locking the MMMV down and censoring folks? No. All we are hoping to do is shape the forums into a place of meaningful disussion and not mindless banter. This will begin with not allowing the DST questions to become redundant, rude or confrontational.

Relax people.

Their lower quality is a BIG topic IMO. So is the problem it that we are calling them out on it, or how we're calling them out on it?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here (on this subtopic anyways) it's not that you shouldn't be disapointed or show your displeasure with minimates that break right out of the box (no one wants that espcially DST) but where you do it, the Q&A is supposed to be a light and fun way to interact with the guys that make some of our favourite toys not a place to vent your fustrations at QC.

Do we have a seperate thread covering breakages? I know the DST guys do come here and read our stuff so by posting in a thread then that's a good way to have your say without making it an agressive act. I'm sure DST are aware of the issues and the Cylon wave seemed ( apart from the odd missing torso extension) very high quality so maybe they are ironing out the wrinkles.

Also Matt at DST has stated publicaly that if you do get breakages the best thing to do its to take them back to the store and get an exchange or refund. If you buy a videogame and get a bad disk, you take it back to the store not send it to the development studio for a replacement.

T.

If you buy a videogame and get a bad disk, you take it back to the store not send it to the development studio for a replacement.

T.

This is true yes, but sometimes when it comes to minimates, the store doesn't have anymore in stock, and neither do any of the stores within miles and miles. I have returned broken mates to the store and gotten exchanges/refunds, but if you can't find those particular figs anywhere else, it can be very frustrating and people are going to want to get what they pay for without having to pay more than retail on ebay etc. and I think this is partly why DST is getting attacked so badly.

BS

I think, now this is just a suggestion, not a demand, that you should put the "ON/OFF" icon back where it was. I think that that was a cool little function that allowed you to know, mainly, that if you PM that person they would answer you right away.

EDIT: Hey, I did notice you changed the "Today's Top 10 Posters" to "Today's Top 20 Posters"! Same with the Overall count, too. Not that numbers matter... :blush:

In my experience, DST has been hit or miss on the tough questions. QC problems aren't always the fault of the manufacturer but it IS their responsibility. If they don't want their consumers to know their business, it's their prerogative not to answer. But I've seen some perfectly legitimate questions get snarky replies depending on the phase of the moon or whatever. On the other hand I've also seen some bitter and lengthy attack go unanswered simply because they didn't feel the Q&A was the appropriate forum to do so.

As far as questions about breakage are concerned, it seems to me that's something ANY manufacturer would want to hear about. For example, my company recently had a 90,000 unit product recall because our overseas vendor switched plastics without telling us. The new plastic was more fragile and, when retested, resulted in choking hazards which caused huge problems with retailers AND our licensor (yeah, it was licensed product).

All that said, this is Ady's house and he makes the rules. Any of us who feel this isn't the place for us to be can go elsewhere or – better yet – do what he did and create a place for other like-minded collectors. Just don't plan on getting DST or AA's seal of approval if all you ever do is sling shit their way.

I reiterate that the bottom line is this. Structure your question in a respectable way. Don't be insulting or aggressive. Accept the response you are given and/or form another question.

In the old days, I was often left scratching my head by some of the Q & A answers (or lack thereof). However, I accepted them and moved on. Thats all we're asking here.

With regard to the upgrade. A thicko asks.... 'Where's the reply button on PM's?" I just ain't seeing one. All I can do is quote and reply that way. Please help a thicko out.

With regard to the upgrade. A thicko asks.... 'Where's the reply button on PM's?" I just ain't seeing one. All I can do is quote and reply that way. Please help a thicko out.

I feel ya, my thicko brother. It took me 5 mins to figure out how to reply by quote.

I will say it again. I am sorry if I offend people or say something in a critical way. I have an extremely sharp tongue that I have trouble keeping holstered sometimes. it's gotten me in deep trouble before and I'm 100% sure it will again in the future. I will try to restrain myself further, but I simply treat people the way I wish to be treated: without any candy coating.

So in retrospect, I'll try to be nicer. But for the record, the guys at DST are big boys. I think they can handle it. Especially with all the praise they got. <_<