UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Upgrade & Its Moderation Week!

K, where back, had to do an urgent upgrade of the board code. Thast sorted now, sorry for the brief downtime, also the skin is a bit mad, bare with me!

Anyways, in light of various posting attitudes on the board its now moderation week. What does this mean? Basically that the staff are going to spend the next seven days acting a lot more heavy handed than they have been. As you know we do have a tiny amount of boardrules, namely:

1. All membership information must be accurate. Using a fake email address or creating an account to impersonate someone else is prohibited.

2. When posting messages their tone must be respectful. Further more they should be relevant to the area they have been posted in and free of any offensive language and/or imagery. Prior to starting a new topic it would be wise to check if such a topic is already being discussed. Please refrain from bumping topics and posting dozens of similar messages.

3. Any attempt to gain access to another account, or to exploit flaws in the software is forbidden.

4. If you wish to offer your goods or services to members please do so only in the trading post section of the board. Verified retailers may be allowed to post anywhere within reason.

5. If you see a problem, hit the report post button.

6. All sig images must be a reasonable size, for guidance at to what reasonable means, take a look at the aadvertisment banners along the top of the forum.

7. Spamming is frowned upon. For the purpose of this forum spamming is defined as creating a large volume of posts in quick succession.

For the purpose of this week those will be heavily enforced, especially number 2. Im also adding a caveat that we will be clamping down on pointless postcount++ style messages, postcount doesnt make you big or clever, its been big and clever that makes you big and clever. Post concise, decent, sensible messages and people will like you. Relentlessly post crap and they wont. Its simple really.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the new skin is cool! Going to take some getting used to. I've been careful about my tone of "voice". As for the posting thing, I know I talk a lot, but I don't think I do very much spam. Lemme know if I am.

I don't see the point in making them visible on the board. Being able to view it in one's profile has always been my preference. Less clutter.

I would agree if I had an opinion, but once you become a Staff member at MMMV, Ady surgically removes the part of your brain that forms opinions. Or is that, likes onions? I forget.

the pm functionality is different. Took me a little while to figure out how to reply.

I vote no on the post counts. It just encourages spam IMO.

Yeah, I agree. I know it does with me, anyway! :P

I think the new skin upgrade is beautiful! The same, yet, different. :) You are doing a great job, Ady! And yes, I know I spam, and my one and only New Year's Resolution is not to anymore. :D

As long as the post counts are available somewhere. Although not the only criteria, it helps me determine if a possible trader is here to be part of the community or to just scam.

That's what the trading post feedback is for :)

I say lose the counts, they are meaningless anyways.

T.

Ya know, I was never a huge supporter of post counts. I always left boards where it's "I have more post counts then you!" It's stupid. However, I don't get where all this animosity is coming from. Also, the qualifications for spam are kinda strict. 'If you're gona talk do it in PM' type things. Well personally I thought this was a friendly place where all participation was encouraged. I'm not sure what the big deal is with spamming right now. Except for spambots. I hate those things. *pulls out shotgun*

:o whoa i just pulled up the reply system looks cool :D

but i was wondering what the little guys next to the name are some red some blue???? what does it all mean if anything (which it probably does)????

As long as the post counts are available somewhere. Although not the only criteria, it helps me determine if a possible trader is here to be part of the community or to just scam.

That's what the trading post feedback is for :)

I say lose the counts, they are meaningless anyways.

T.

As I said, the post counts are "not the only criteria" I use. What if someone has not completed a trade yet, but has spent the past few months contributing meaningful posts to the board? A very recent contest winner had 2 posts in their three plus months on the board and both were in the Contests threads. Would you deal with them? If there were no post counts you may be led to think, "hey this guy's been around for months and I haven't heard anything bad about/from him". In reality he could be someone just hanging out looking for handouts and/or trying to scam somebody gullible in the Trading Post. We've had that element before. In my opinion, the counts are just another tool to know who you're dealing with.

Ya know, I was never a huge supporter of post counts. I always left boards where it's "I have more post counts then you!" It's stupid. However, I don't get where all this animosity is coming from. Also, the qualifications for spam are kinda strict. 'If you're gona talk do it in PM' type things. Well personally I thought this was a friendly place where all participation was encouraged. I'm not sure what the big deal is with spamming right now. Except for spambots. I hate those things. *pulls out shotgun*

I think the animosity stems from a few points. The lack of respect in the Ask DST thread was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I'd imagine Ady worked pretty hard to get DST talking to us and would be pretty upset (rightly so IMO) if someone screwed that relationship up.

Also, people expecting handouts here - John Stewart GL, the random give aways, the Cylon Elf, etc - these are things given and done out of kindness - nothing that's owed to anyone here. Some members, unfortunately, don't understand this so a reminder is obviously needed.

Diggin' the new look (the smileys look a bit like dandelions :lol:)! I like the profiles a whole lot more, they really act as more of an all-in-one now. Just a question, have our avatars been affected by this change? Mine justs looks a bit pixelated.

Good job, Ady!

Glomit