UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Official DC Animated Cartoons Series Discussion

Lurch77

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of the Brainiac Attacks movie not being worth it...

I got a $5 rebate by mail for it in my BK Superman Kid's Meal toy and the DVD has a movie pass in it worth roughly $10. If you get the rebate and see Superman Returns in the evening you basically got the Brainiac movie ($15) for free, right?

Is it worth it in this scenario? If not, it must really blow!

Well... It depends on how you look at it.

Yeah, I think that's worth it.

Actually, it's really not that bad... Unless you have ANY SHRED of respect for the animated series.

See, in the movie Lex allies with Brainiac... Which seems unlikely after what happened in TAS. Also, Lex & Brainy's voices have been changed and Lex is a friggin idiot.

That being said, the animation is solid and it is entertaining... Just a massive stretch for continuity.

HSD, I purchased my Superman(TAS) Season 3 at Best Buy and it came with the free movie ticket. My wife and I went and saw the movie the next day I believe :unsure: Plus, I don't think it was just the Superman, but the 2nd season of JLA that came with the free ticket offer. So if you still need that, it might be worth more than the Brainiac movie? The choice is yours in the end of course ;)

Can anyone confirm/deny this for me? The free movie pass stickers aren't on any of the S:TAS Season 3 packages that I've seen. I can't imagine that they would put it in Brainiac Attacks and not the Animated Series...

Got my S:TAS v3 from Amazon, didn't have a sticker on it but came with movie pass

Got JLA v2 from Wal-Mart, no sticker, no movie pass

Brainiac Attacks at Wal-Mart had a sticker saying free movie pass

Know of several people that got S:TAS v3 from Wal-Mart, Target, etc with no sticker but did have movie pass

hope that helps :D

Any idea when the second season of Batman Beyond comes out? Need to finish that series up for my collection.

Any idea when the second season of Batman Beyond comes out? Need to finish that series up for my collection.

No release date yet, but they have been releasing sets every three months so either December of this year or March of '07 would be my guess. More than likely we'll see JLU vol 3 & BB vol 2 in Dec (probably same week Superman Returns will come to DVD) and TT & tB vol 3 in March.

DVD Sets so far..

Released

* Batman: TAS vol 1-4

* Superman: TAS vol 1-3

* Batman Beyond vol 1

* Justice League vol 1-2

* Teen Titans vol 1

Upcoming

9-19-06

- The Batman: The Complete Second Season

- Teen Titans - The Complete Second Season

Unknown

* Batman Beyond vol 2-3

* Justice League Unlimited vol 3-5

* The Batman vol 3

* Teen Titans vol 3-5

Thanks for keeping that straight for me Lurch, looks like Ady's not the only one riding the short bus these days :wacko:

The JLU episodes haven't been released in full "season" versions yet, have they?

I've learned my lesson and have boycotted the single-disc "volume" versions & now will always wait for the full season releases.

Momentarily straying from the DC universe...

Does anyone know if there are any plans to release the first 2 seasons of X-Men: Evolution in the "complete season" format like they did for Season 3?

Didn't Batman Beyond do 4 seasons? :huh:

Yep, looks like BB did 4 Season's and JLA did 2 season before becoming JLU in season 3 and did a couple more season's after that before the pulled the plug. Read a interesting article in this months Toyfare about it and how they plan to release movies in dvd format for both TT and JLU. While I can understand them pulling the plug, since it's reached the usual norms when it comes to animated series, if the numbers were there why not modify those "norms"?

That pissed me off when I read it. I was upset that they cancelled JLU. It was the most solid, orignal show that Cartoon Network was airing outside of the Adult Swim block. To read that they cancelled it just because they could put it into syndication was heartbreaking...

Me too Antacost, seemed like a piss poor excuse to this fan. Not to mention reading that Timm and his gang had to concede defeat, even though they had ideas for a final season(if it had ran another year). I've seen shows like Family Guy(which I love) come back from the dead thanks to Cartoon Network. Why exactly they couldn't have new episodes and sell it into syndication escapes this fan. Oh well, going to finish looking through the forum and get back to watching Season 2 of Superman(TAS) :D

Got my S:TAS v3 from Amazon, didn't have a sticker on it but came with movie pass

Well, I got some Best Buy gift cards for my upcoming birthday (*cough-July13-cough*), so I headed there for some DC DVD goodness. My S:TAS v3 did not have the movie pass, but my JL s2 had TWO of the movie passes in it. Talk about the Law of Averages!

I swear, I'm going to have to do a search with my handle to find all these posts I miss :unsure: But your right Nestle', I totally missed that one. Was the show actually cancelled or just jumped networks, ala Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I know that the powers that be at the time wanted Batman to be more kid friendly for merchandising purposes. Luckily things didn't change very much for me and I loved the redesign of most of figures for the new Batman(TAS) series, especially Riddler and Freeze. Too bad they never did the updated Scarecrow, I liked that one especially.

Donster, you're missing the most obvious example of all.

Batman TAS was cancelled after 3 seasons and came back 2 years later to do a fourth. :D

Ah, not exactly cancelled. Batman:TAS ran for 3 seasons, then Superman:TAS started the next season and ran for two seasons until the "World Finest" episode/movie ran. Then Batman:TNBA started back up and both Bats and Sups were on together with the "Batman/Superman Adventures" (they alternated between S:TAS and B:TNBA episodes). So it was never really cancelled, it was just that Batman & Superman were considered combined projects that all together ran from 1992-2000. Batman Beyond started in 1999 and ran till 2001, then Jutice League started later in 2001 and ran till this year. Not too bad for an animated world to run from '92 till '06, plus with the two spin-offs of The Zeta Project and Static Shock :D

It's funny you should mention World's Finest Lurch, I just finished watching those 3 episodes and was pleased I didn't need to get one of the animated movies again. Here's something I picked up tonight and the nice thing is it has every episode Fleischer did and it only cost $7.99. But make sure you get this set and not another. Otherwise you'll be like me and have several of the dvds without all 17 episodes. You can definately tell what inspired Bruce Timm/Paul Dini's stuff. I recommend this to anyone who's a fan of Superman. Looking forward to sitting down and watching these with my wife.

superman2.jpg

I hate to burst your bubble Lurch, but Batman did get cancelled after it's 3rd season.

Cartoon Network bought the show's rights and later asked Timm's team to do more episodes for Batman since they loved them so much.

I mean, it's all a matter of how you word it I guess...

Actually, I'm going to back up Lurch on this one Nestle'. As I recently watched Superman(TAS) Season 2's dvd. Timm has some comments on how things came to be on the Kids WB in the World's Finest Part 1 commentary. Kids WB approached them about streamlining BTAS and bringing to to their network. So I don't think BTAS was cancelled, as the contract was probable up with Fox and moved over to KWB. I know that in several of the commentaries they mention producing BTAS and STAS side by side, then later it turned into what Lurch was describing on Kids WB. Cartoon Network was still in it's infancy at the time these were televised.

Timm has some comments on how things came to be on the Kids WB in the World's Finest Part 1 commentary. Kids WB approached them about streamlining BTAS and bringing to to their network. So I don't think BTAS was cancelled, as the contract was probable up with Fox and moved over to KWB.

Good to see I'm not the only one that watches those extras :D

I forgot to put that they switched networks :P Not sure on the specs with the contract with Fox but The WB was just getting started and they wanted Bats/Sups on their own new kid's network and not a rival network (and because WB holds the license for the two superheroes). B:TAS finished up in Sept '95, Timm and crew had been getting Superman:TAS ready and it started in Sept '96 on Kid's WB. Batman went thru some re-tooling during the time of S:TAS, specifically WB wanted the show to appeal to a younger age-range. So they tweaked some of the characters (new younger Robin), brought in some anime artist to help with a new-fresh-hip look, did more action/fighting scenes (less intricate plots, lol :rolleyes:). Then in 1997 after the "World's Finest" episodes, Batman returned as Batman:The New Batman Adventures (also called Batman Gotham Knights). And episodes of Superman:TAS were broadcast alongside episodes of Batman Gotham Knights and reruns of Batman: the Animated Series under the title The New Batman/Superman Adventures which ran till the first part of 2000. WB was still wanting a younger-hipper audience and Batman Beyond came about in 1999 and finished it's run on Kid's WB at the end of 2001.

Cartoon Network got the syndication rights to air reruns of Batman:TAS. I can't remember if they got the syndication rights to S:TAS, B:TNBA and Batman Beyond as well; I think they did after how well B:TAS did and how much it help Toonami's ratings. They later signed up Timm's crew to create Justice League which started on Cartoon Network in 2001.

You can look at it like B:TAS was cancelled in '95, B:TNBA & S:TAS was cancelled in '00, Batman Beyond was cancelled in '01 and JLU was cancelled in '06 or, as Timm says in most all of his interviews, that his animated world ran for 14 years straight. It's all a matter of how you word it ;)