UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Alternate Methods To Get DC 'mates...

I've been thinking about it, and though Gotham wouldn't have been my first choice, having that door opened even a little is a huge step forward. But for whatever reason, DC hasn't budged on their decision not to revive DC Comic 'mates. But as comic related media becomes more and more common, I started thinking about all the possible ways to try and get DC characters back in the mix. Here's what I came up with:

1-DC TV Shows: With the huge universe that Arrow, The Flash, and this new spinoff show are creating, this would be a great way to get a lot of characters from DC comics even though it would leave the big three off the table. Gotham getting made shows that DC is at least open to their TV properties getting made.

2-Batman '66: DST already has the license, and have made lots of merchandise for it, the only thing it seems they haven't approached as of yet is 'mates. I have no doubt they have asked, but hopefully something could be accomplished, especially as new product continues to come out for this license, and the news of the new animated film has been revealed.

3-Batman Animated Series: DST has the license for this as well, and while heavily stylized art isn't my first choice for 'mates, I certainly wouldn't complain about getting Batman and all his supporting cast. Plus, DST has made 'mates for this license before, in the C3 days.

4-DC Films: Whether they be past or future films, there are a lot of characters that would look great from the cinematic universe, and DST had the license to make 'mates based on Batman Begins for C3 at one point, I'm still sad that those never saw the light of day. I certainly wouldn't mind a wave based on Suicide Squad...

5-Arkham Series:The games have been hugely successful, and virtually every major Batman character has appeared in them, I don't know if the license would be available, but if it was these would be an awesome way to get a lot of characters. They certainly would be successful, I would love to see these as well.

We all agree that we would like to see the comic 'mates come back, but if they can't these were the best ways I could think of to get around that. Now I understand there is the very real possibility that DC would just flat out refuse all of these, but at least there is a chance now that there wasn't before. And frankly in my opinion, DC can't afford to keep falling behind the eight ball for whatever reason, be it business or personal.

I wasn't sure if this was the best thread for this, but since some of these licenses are in DST's hands, they aren't technically past licenses, feel free to move it if necessary. What do you guys think?

It's as much about product categories as it is about acquiring the licenses. A show like Gotham, with relatively low (or at least unproven) retail appeal demands a licensing agreement that allows DST to offer more than just low-profit-margin Minimates, which is exactly what they're doing with that property.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'd argue that DC Comics Minimates alone would do just fine in volume if Marvel's success is any indication. And while I know that DC ≠ Marvel, DC Entertainment is about to start making big waves. Now would be the time to push to get this property and the film franchises that will soon be exploding onto the big screen.

For what it's worth, DST has been trying for years to get back into DC's good graces. Gotham seems to be a foot in that door. If DST/AA can make that property work for toys, hopefully WB Consumer Products will open the doors for other product categories and more DC properties.

The thing that puzzles me the most is that DC is willing to grant licenses to DST for everything but 'mates, if you were mad at the company, you would think that they would just not do business with them altogether, it's strange to see one specific product category being omitted in an otherwise healthy business relationship.

I agree with you though, DC is finally making the effort to catch up in terms of multimedia to Marvel, so I would think now would be the time for them to push everything they have and try to regain lost time. And since they know there's a market for it already, it's puzzling to me that they would leave money on the table. I would choose the comics over all of the options I mentioned, but as of now it seems like DC is keeping the comic license close to home, except for letting Mattel run it into the ground.

I've always assumed that the big problem with DC is that DC Direct (and now Collectibles) makes many of the same products that DST does. I think the fact that DST is making Batman '66 and Animated products is an even bigger positive then Gotham. Everybody forgets that DST didn't release the DC 'mates, they designed them and DCD released them. Now that we are seeing DST designed and produced DC products, I think it makes Minimates all the more likely.

I don't think its that DC is refusing at this point as GB isnt there mate blocking. I think another Licensee is holding the rights to the toy category that minimates fit into and have since GB left DCC, nd thats why we arent getting them.

To be specific, I think Mezco is the culprit, and as long as trade shows go by with pictures of new dc mez-itz, then we can assume it would be a long time before they decide to not resign their license, and if they dont, it would be a while for DST to swoop in, sign an agreement, and probably over a year before we would see anything if they did.

wasn't there also an issue with characters like Clayface, Ares and Grodd? one side wanted them to use the larger bodies (like we got) and the other wanted them all to be the 2 inchers.

I always thought that was why the JL Darkseid ended up being the same size as Superman...and then DC mates ended soon after. sad.png

DC Direct wanted the larger bodies. There was also a story in the Minimate podcast that AFI did that DCD wanted them to sculpt a... curvy chest piece for Power Girl. rolleyes.gif Darkseid wasn't a DC Direct figure, but one made through the AA/C3 deal for Justice League Unlimited. That was well before the actual DC Direct sets.

never heard of the curvy chest thing, that would have been crazy. Crazy over used for customs too biggrin.png

I think the request for use of 2.5 by DCC at the time was them trying to make the marvel mates at the time look far inferior and to one up them.

At first I loved the idea of the larger DC mates, but once I got them I was kind of disappointed. I think the two that did turn out amazing at the larger size were Grodd and Clayface. I think Bane and Ares would have looked much better with bulked up parts like Hulk is. I'm not sure how I feel about Croc, but I think seeing him as a bulked up figure would have been better also.

I would love to see DC go another round with minimates. If I remember correctly, they sold fine at the time. I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen them return with all the recent changes with DCD and everything. Even give us a few waves based on the Batman Arkham Games. Those would look amazing as minimates. If sales turn out great (which I am sure they would) then expand them to DC comic minimates again.

At the time I was ok with getting the odd characters in the DC waves like Ma Hunkle and Ambush Bug. Now I'm upset with the characters they chose. Instead of giving us battle damaged Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, along as the other less known minimates I would have preferred others. I would have instead loved to have gotten Catwoman, Martian Manhunter, Doomsday, Two-Face, Black Manta, Hush, Scarecrow, and many others. The fact that we didn't get them makes me want too see the return of DC minimates even more.

I think the request for use of 2.5 by DCC at the time was them trying to make the marvel mates at the time look far inferior and to one up them.

That's possible but it's also likely that they were simply taking full advantage of not having the 2-inch restriction imposed on the Marvel line by Toy Biz.

Personally, I like the slightly larger figures for larger characters. Movie Minimates like The Destroyer, Iron Monger, the Frost Giants, Lizard, and the upcoming Hulkbuster look far too small for my liking. Waist risers and added bulk only go so far.

At first I loved the idea of the larger DC mates, but once I got them I was kind of disappointed. I think the two that did turn out amazing at the larger size were Grodd and Clayface. I think Bane and Ares would have looked much better with bulked up parts like Hulk is. I'm not sure how I feel about Croc, but I think seeing him as a bulked up figure would have been better also.

I tend to agree. I never saw Bane, Croc, or even Ares as unusually tall characters, just massive. Grodd and Clayface are good examples of that larger body use.

At the time I was ok with getting the odd characters in the DC waves like Ma Hunkle and Ambush Bug. Now I'm upset with the characters they chose.

That was DC's way of saying, "This is the line that's committed to getting obscure characters onto your shelves, not just the top 20." I'm happy with every single DC 'mate I have.

The only thing I'd have changed (besides the price and the release schedule) might have been putting so many heavy hitters into the first series. Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern right out of the gate? Each one could have anchored an assortment.

Yeah, larger figures were at DCD's request, and I still think they were right. Bane would have been better with a note up smaller body, but Grodd, Clayface, Kilowog, and that particular take on Brainiac are perfection. (I still wish that Marvel minimates could be scaled like that.). Ares and Croc could have gone either way. Just thinking about what could have come on that larger body- Solomon Grundy, Doomsday, Arkillo, Darkseid, Mongul... Ah well.

I'm just thrilled we're getting something DC related, and I think it's great that DST is able to work with DC. In going the relationship process fruitful and more DC mates eventually make it out.