UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Button batteries....

buttheadsmate

I had the pleasure recently of having a young nipper tearing round my house for a few weeks ....he's just started walking & almost talking & he was great fun . Now I know a lot of you guys have kids & you've got far more knowledge of kids than I but being grandpa is fairly new to me & one of the new found uses that his Mum found for me was replacing the little round batteries in his toys .

Today I read this .... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29610570 glare.gif

Pretty frightening IMHO so just be careful ......I appreciate that life itself is dangerous but these batteries are a little too dangerous for my liking.

I'm the same being a grandad myself to a 2 year old an my house is no longer child friendly at all. I just look around and see all these sharp edges at kid height and things like fire surrounds etc. I am careful of leaving stuff around that can be swallowed not just for the childs sake but my dog is a bit of a hoover if its on the floor he thinks its his. So I do kinda keep an eye out for things like that on tables that could be snatched or knocked on the floor.

I dont mean to downplay it in anyway and its terrible whats happened and these batteries are sweetie shaped so could be confused but kids have I'm sorry to say eaten stuff they shouldn't I remember the big warning when I was youmger being pen or biro tops, this is just this generations warning to look out.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

I keep a stash of standard batteries around for flashlights, smoke detectors, and marital aids. When it comes to these button cells, they've never posed a problem because I immediately put them into the toy and every toy (in my experience) has a compartment door that screws shut. It's kind of a pain in the ass to replace them because I've got to scour the house for my wee Philip's head screwdriver.

But if you think these batteries are dangerous, check out what damage rare earth magnets have done to intestines. And those small, solid bouncy balls have never been welcome in my house.

You can never be too careful about anything, especially when it comes to children.