UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 75 years

Just seen this image promoting 75 years of marvel

STK648038-600x913.jpg?9098e0

The first thing that I saw was ohh Antmans now blue!

Then I started reading the articles around this image and such like. And are the rumour mills in full effect about this.

No FF anywhere and not an X in sight not even Wolverine. The articles basicly boil down to Disney/Marvel are not going to promote things they dont have full rights too when it comes to FOX . So FF is on lockdown and thet means the team and any of their main supporting foes or characters and Avengers over X-men when it comes to them.

http://sciencefiction.com/2014/06/02/rumor-marvel-turning-back-fantastic-four-x-men/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/29/would-marvel-really-cancel-fantastic-four-to-snub-fox/

http://screencrush.com/marvel-war-fantastic-four/

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marvel-Intentionally-Sabotaging-Its-Relationship-With-Fox-43260.html

Carol has long hair again, thank God.

Wolverine isn't there because they're killing him off. That's been announced for a while now. Apparently he just doesn't have the selling power that he used to. (I think Zach said that too?)

The FF thing is just sad, but not unexpected. The last FF title i followed was Future Foundation, and i dropped that when it became Franklin and Friends.

Wolverine isn't there because they're killing him off. That's been announced for a while now. Apparently he just doesn't have the selling power that he used to. (I think Zach said that too?)

Thank F*$&! I was getting SERIOUSLY worn down on his saturation. Two monthly solo titles, Avenbers Memebrship, headmaster, under-cover black ops murderer and unity guy has seriously been waaaaay too much for waaaaay too long.

I wonder if he's actually going to die in his other books, of just his solo title. So much of what has happened to him seems to have been ignored in books like Uncanny Avengers and Wolverine & the X-Men.

Someone posted a screen shot of a letter apparently given out to Marvel's creative guys, not to include FF characters in forthcoming stories. But it could have been faked.

The rough thing there, if it's true, means no Silver Surfer or Doom indefinitely. That's insanely depressing; guess I'll have to turn to my Masterworks Surfer volumes instead. I mean, I get why they're doing it and on some level i agree with it (like i said, they've haven't really been decent since Hickman), but that doesn't make it right. They're still the First Family.

I'm wondering if this is true at all though? If there really is a sanction on X-Men and F4 publications and merch, then how did we get DoFP minimates?

Are they only allowing it because X-Men is too big a cash-cow for them to put their foot down?

Does this mean no F4 minimates in the future?

There has been extensive speculative discussion on this at Sideshow Collectors, and some there are arguing that DST is an exception because they are a fairly small fish, whereas Hasbro might have been persuaded by Marvel not to produce DOFP merch. Personally, I don't buy that argument, and think it comes down to economics. We saw Hasbro and Hot Toys release the Wolverine figures last year, and we see DOFP Minimates and a Marvel Select figure from DST. When First Class came out, we also only saw Minimates. But my guess is it's the lack of A-list characters (Wolverine and maybe Magneto here), and the hum-drum costume designs by Singer that are contributing to skepticism on the part of the Hasbros and Hot Toys' of the world. My impression is that there is less risk in DST taking chances, or maybe they just have an easier time making profit, which is why they go after nearly every Marvel movie license there is and other, sometimes more obscure stuff.

Edited by karamazov80

If I was Disney/Marvel, I would want to distance myself as much as possible from the debacle that is the FF reboot. It's going to damage the FF brand for a whole new generation. As for X-Men, I'm sure it takes a back seat because they don't have "soup to nuts" control over the brand and thus exposes risk to it. I'm sure if Disney/Marvel had the X-Men movie rights we'd have already seen a new X-Men animated series by now.

I think it's funny that it's rumored that Fox won't even listen to offers from Disney to buy back the movie rights. I guess having Disney over a barrel on that issue is "priceless" in their minds.

Edited by Zylek

I would really be surprised if Marvel stopped producing FF comics and such. They are the only ones that lose in situation, i really don't think it would effect Fox at all. They are still going to make tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars from there movies.

I have always wondered what sort of cut Marvel get from Spiderman movie toys?

And if it wasn't that high, whether they would just flood the market with superior comic based alternatives that would screw over Sony in the merch wars.

Shame about FF, but I think I like the idea of them far more than I ever liked their recent stories. Perhaps they do need a rest.

For toys, it's important to remember retailer interest plays a huge factor. Retail balked on that Wolverine Legends wave from Hasbro when The Wolverine came out. There wasn't actual merchandise for First Class or Wolverine besides Minimates after the product for Wolverine Origins rotted on the shelves. So I have a feeling this time around there was the same issue for DOFP, which is only just getting a Legends wave this summer, of only comic looks. Hell, not even Hot Toys could make their First Class figures out, or announce DOFP ones.

FF is an interesting case, because there seems to be tons of faith in GOTG and none in FF. Granted, GOTG was further along when figures were showcased, so there's plenty of time for things to change. But the Marvel rumors don't have me confident.

I just can't bring myself to our much stock in the conspiracy theory. Nothing explains why Marvel would work against the FF and the X-Men but not Spider-Man who is front and center on the cover. There's also the fact that regardless of who had rights to make movies, Marvel will be making a lot if money as the owner of the IP. And canceling comics means they would be deliberately destroying a revenue stream that they don't have to share. You don't just destroy valuable assets like that. Also, if Marvel were deliberately trying to undermine the FF movie so much that they would cancel their own product, you can bet that there will be a large, costly lawsuit. Fox won't stand for Marvel intentionally harming the properties like that.

For toys, TTF brought up a lot of good points- the gist being there are a lot of good reasons we haven't seen merchandise, poor performance being a great motivator for not producing toys.

Edited by Turtle