UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Mighty Avengers (African American) focus Minimates

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Tiger is hispanic and we got her as a mate.

DST could release a McFarlane Spider-man "Torment & Perceptions" wave with Calypso, updated McFarlane Spidey (with web-slinging hands!), a modern Lizard (with sculpted head), a new traditional blue & yellow Wolverine (use the new claws), a new Kraven (sculpted lion-head vest and new weapons - net accessory?) with Kraven's half-brother Chameleon (we got a new JJJ, time for a new Chameleon!) as the variant, and Wendigo as the army-builder of the wave!

Regarding an all-female Marvel wave, I would totally be in for a "Women of Marvel" wave!

- Mockingbird and Tigra

- Callisto and Marrow

- 70's Marvel Girl and Stepford Cuckoo

- 'First Appearance' Kitty Pyde (variant, with alternate phasing parts) and Stepford Cuckoo

Put Misty Knight and Colleen Wing at TRU with an updated old-school Power Man & Iron Fist 2-pack!

How about... uh... Bishop's sister, Shard? Venus from X-Statix?

There aren't many

If we're talking women of colour associated with the x-men, aside from the afore mentioned Storm, Shard & Dr Cecilia there's a few:

Oya

Bling

M

Tempo

Threnody

Frenzy/Cargill

Charlotte Jones

Angel 2

Cipher

Haven

If we open it up to non-anglo/white women associated with the x-men theres: Feral, Psylocke, Jubliee, Thornnn, Karma, Moonstar, Lady Deathstrike, Kavita Rao, Risque, Silver Fox, Surge, Sway, Armor, Yukio, Omega Sentinel, Dust.

They may not all be A list, but there's definitely at least a few examples there.

Sadly, there are very few prominent female characters of color in Marvel. I hope the book continues, but there are a lot of unknowns on that team that would make a full assortment of Minimates put even a box set risky. Spider-Man would have to be the anchor, which would defeat the purpose, and even he may not be enough.

Has there ever been a limited set of minimates? What I mean by limited is 1/3000 or something like that. The closest thing with out researching is SDCC. Or has minimates always been mass made? Since Zach explained the market for the minimate and timing. Has there ever been consideration for pre-order. I know video games do it. But they do it to compete to retailers. Any thoughts on pre-orders? All these names are making me look up who's who on Marvel database. Adding to the mix , Marvel Now Young avengers(even 2006 version). I want to see that set.

I don't honestly mind what race or gender minimates are as what I want to see first and foremost are new unmade classic characters. Hence this current mighty avengers team wouldn't hold a lot of appeal for me, much as they, especially the white tiger, would look cool I'm sure, since we seem to be getting a lot of modern stuff at the moment.

I think the reason an all female wave/boxset (which clearly isn't happening any time soon) would be nice is simply that we have less females than males. Certainly if DST wants to deliberately go for more Asian females though, my number one suggestion would be mantis. She never seems to feature in anybody's wishlist and yet is one of the oldest unmade classic avengers. Packed with a swordsman or even a silver surfer (to give even more colour diversity lol) she would be very welcome.

Has there ever been a limited set of minimates? What I mean by limited is 1/3000 or something like that. The closest thing with out researching is SDCC. Or has minimates always been mass made? Since Zach explained the market for the minimate and timing. Has there ever been consideration for pre-order. I know video games do it. But they do it to compete to retailers. Any thoughts on pre-orders? All these names are making me look up who's who on Marvel database. Adding to the mix , Marvel Now Young avengers(even 2006 version). I want to see that set.

We offer everything we sell as a pre-order to retailers, and they offer them as a pre-order to customers. But we do have minimums of how many we can produce. And 3,000 sets may sound limited, but it's a lot of sets to sell on the specialty market. There have been occasions where we have not hit the number to produce a set -- Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose was a mostly female set, Godfather was mostly male, neither reached the necessary numbers to go forward. Not sure if it's ever happened with a Marvel set, but some sets we've made have NOT sold out. TRU does order larger quantities, which is why we try to make EXTRA sure it's a set or assortment they can sell to the masses.

The thought of a Blue Marvel minimate is exciting and Luke Cage is in a major need of an update seriously.....have you seen the Luke Cage minimate???? Sweet Christmas!!!!!

It's not awful, but it definitely needs an update.

There have been occasions where we have not hit the number to produce a set -- Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose was a mostly female set, Godfather was mostly male, neither reached the necessary numbers to go forward. Not sure if it's ever happened with a Marvel set, but some sets we've made have NOT sold out.

Marvel Minimates Wave 15. May they rest in piece. :sad:

I think the reason an all female wave/boxset (which clearly isn't happening any time soon) would be nice is simply that we have less females than males. Certainly if DST wants to deliberately go for more Asian females though, my number one suggestion would be mantis. She never seems to feature in anybody's wishlist and yet is one of the oldest unmade classic avengers. Packed with a swordsman or even a silver surfer (to give even more colour diversity lol) she would be very welcome.

But aren't there fewer female Marvel heroes/villains than male? I think that's why we're grouping female characters with racial minorities. There will NEVER be as many female Marvel Minimates as male, because it would not accurately represent the MU, and because there is no sales reason to do so.

And Mantis' unique ownership and publication history may have something to do with the fact that she has never had a toy. I don't know how long she was with the Avengers, but she has only been intermittently used since then, sometimes by other companies. Not sure what her status is now, but being grouped with the GotG can only help.

But aren't there fewer female Marvel heroes/villains than male? I think that's why we're grouping female characters with racial minorities. There will NEVER be as many female Marvel Minimates as male, because it would not accurately represent the MU, and because there is no sales reason to do so.

And Mantis' unique ownership and publication history may have something to do with the fact that she has never had a toy. I don't know how long she was with the Avengers, but she has only been intermittently used since then, sometimes by other companies. Not sure what her status is now, but being grouped with the GotG can only help.

Mantis used by other companies? Huh?

There have been occasions where we have not hit the number to produce a set -- Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose was a mostly female set, Godfather was mostly male, neither reached the necessary numbers to go forward. Not sure if it's ever happened with a Marvel set, but some sets we've made have NOT sold out.

Marvel Minimates Wave 15. May they rest in piece. sad.png

Was that confirmed to be a lack-of-sales issue? I wasn't around.

Mantis used by other companies? Huh?

Ownership may be the wrong word. Englehart seems to have continued her

story at DC and Eclipse, under different names. Not sure if there was

ever a legal question.

Yeah, never a legal question, just Englehart being Englehart. He used characters that he obviously intended to be Mantis, but weren't Mantis. If that makes any sense. Similarly, the character Scorpio Rose that Englehart and Marshall Rogers introduced at Eclipse was basically the DC character Madame Xanadu. You can actually learn more about all this at Steve Englehart's website.

The reason Mantis has probably never had a figure made is that NO ONE likes the character as much as the man that created her. She's always been a hard character to wrap your head around.

Well, I can't say I like her as much as Englehart as I have no idea just how much he likes her (lol) but I've always liked the character quite a bit and would love to see her minimated. I had no idea that there was ever an issue over who had the rights to her though. Still, if she is involved with GotG then maybe there is hope yet for her second biggest fan...tongue.png

And yeah Zach, I totally understand that the ratio of male to female MU heroes and villains is heavily slanted towards males, and thus there will always be more of them made and should be. However, there are plenty of (for example) avengers-related females such as mockingbird, tigra, enchantress, updated wasp that would make a cool female-only boxset theme.

I'd love to see SHIELD agents in a variety of colors.

LOL I wanted that too, so I made them that way. Dug into the custom parts bin and got a full line up although the ladies are KILLING me. Just because I need to have a Maria Hill, Quake, Agent 13, Monica "Black Widow" Chang, Deadpool's SHIELD Agent, and now an Agent May from Agents of Shield. Although I would whine less if Zach got me the Jim Lee X-Men Costume redone for women and men...

Marvel Minimates Wave 15. May they rest in piece. sad.png

Was that confirmed to be a lack-of-sales issue? I wasn't around.

>Mantis used by other companies? Huh?

Ownership may be the wrong word. Englehart seems to have continued her

story at DC and Eclipse, under different names. Not sure if there was

ever a legal question.

If I ever saw a Mantis figure getting made before Crystal:

giphy.gif