UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Halloween Thread

Jatta Pake

For some reason, I'm more in the Halloween spirit this year. Perhaps due to Walking Dead Minimates and the return of the show. To celebrate, I've been listening to "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" audiobook during my commute. I really enjoy it in part because I've never read "Pride and Prejudice" so the entire story is new to me. I agree with the audiobook introduction that says the author turned a masterpiece of English literature into something you would actually listen to. On deck is the Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter audiobook.

Anyone else reading anything good during this Halloween season?

Also curious on people's thoughts on haunted houses, in particular Blackout. Blackout just came to Los Angeles this year and for those who don't know, it is a new form of extreme haunted house that started on the East Coast. Some differences that make it extreme: the actors can touch you, you must go in alone, you must be 18, you must sign a liability waiver, and you must "do things" when prompted for your own safety. If at any time you yell the "safety" word you will be released out of the haunted house. 1 in 7 people freak out so much they need to leave before making it all of the way through.

Would you ever do a Blackout style extreme haunted house?

Yeesh, that sounds pretty intense. I probably would not. We went to a pumpkin patch last weekend. That was pretty fun. Went for a hayride and everything. I'm really, really looking forward to carving pumpkins this weekend. That is hands down my favorite part of Halloween.

I doubt that I'll ever going into one of those blackout haunted houses :no:

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies is definitely a good read/listen (thanks Max for the hookup on that one :thumbsup: ). I usually listen to some of the classics: Dracula, Invisible Man, Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, War of the Worlds, etc. But this year I'm listening to The Hobbit then of course the rest of the LotR trilogy to get ready for movie in Dec.

Pumpkin carving is one of my favorites too. My ideas for carving themes are usually Batman related but my wife and kids want to do something else :rolleyes: Last year they convinced me to do a Pumpkin Jack. Haven't quite decided what to do this year, anybody have any ideas?

Those are some great ideas for audiobooks. Thanks Lurch!

This may be strange but I do not like carving pumpkins. My kids love it but I have an issue with reaching in and pulling out the guts. I do it for them but I don't like it. I hate the feel of cold slimey pumpkin guts on my arm. I do really enjoy cooking the seeds though.

I'm not much of a horror fan so haunted houses long ago stopped being my thing. The idea of Blackout turns my stomach, and I cannot fathom the appeal. Of course, it also makes me feel really old. I may have tried Blackout in my early twenties if my buddies were doing it. As a father, I feel like I experience real terror every time my kids break a finger or bust a tooth. And my daughter becomes a teenager in four months. That scares the $&!// out of me. It sounds cliche but the real world is scary enough as it is.

this will be first year of not trick'or'treating :P

I'll never think im "too old" for it, i just dont have the spirit for it this time around.

I will still however be dressing up, im going to be a redesign of everyone's favorite Dark Knight, which i will post somewhere here when it is finished ;)

I have never really been into Halloween. I don't care for horror movies and the idea of fear for fun is completely foreign to me. That said as the father of two small children I try to get excited about it as it relates to them.

Same here with my Nieces and Nephew, I try to make sure they have a good time but me......just really isn't my thing.

We have the House of Shock here. It has often been rated as the number one haunted attraction in the USA. I've never been mostly because I got my fill of chainsaws (with no chains) being rev'ed at me and poor performing twenty-somethings yelling in my face, a long time ago. However, I have dressed up in the past for parties and trick-or-treating with my sons. This year will be no different.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the House of Shock a couple of times years ago. Pretty decent haunted house. A lot of money and effort went into that thing. But there was a funny little cart ride at the beginning that you could do that was probably more memorable than the actual Haunted House. Not because it was great or scary, but rather because it was so cheap and lame (I assume Anselmo et al. just let another guy come in, set it up, and pay them a fee). It consisted of you riding down this dark tunnel, lame special effects I guess (don't really remember), and lights that would flash on at the same time that a loud buzzing sound was made :lol: I still crack up thinking about those damn buzzing lights.