UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Badgers

buttheadsmate

Badgers are hitting the news headlines here because of the recently announced cull . This cull will be carried out across the UK & the propaganda machine is churning out the usual shite that if the badger numbers are reduced then bovine tuberculosis in the UK cattle 'herd' will be drastically reduced. As I type this post I am closer to a badger sett than the TV that I can see from where I am sitting & in 12 years of living on this farm we have never had a positive case of TB in any of the cattle on this farm . Lucky ? Maybe... but despite the fact that I know badgers can give cows TB I also know that cows can give badgers TB....a fact that our 'betters' rarely publicise. 'My' sett is massive & though we very rarely see Brock & chums we certainly know he lives nearby :biggrin:

'Clean' (uninfected) badgers are what we have here & if the powers-that-be annihilate them & leave a vacuum for some 'dirty' ones to subsequently move in then playing God will again prove futile.

So why am I sharing this here ? Purely because I need to tell people without too many people knowing where my sett is ....trust me no fuc&*r is coming onto my farm to kill anything without some bloody good reason.

Thanks for listening.

are they even allowed to do that? can they just come onto your private property & kill animals on your land? That seems . . . extreme.

Not unless he charges the person money first...

Rob, I thought you are normally outside on your rocking chair with a shotgun to protect your minimates? Don't people already know not to step on old man Beavis' lawn? :tongue:

In a bad Mexican accent "Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' badgers!"

Its your land and I would say aslong as you have had no problems before they cant just come along without your permission.

I would guess the only problem is if there are any cases reported in the farms/lands surrounding your propriety if any do but I would want proof etc before I allowed anyone access to do anything.

Its your land so you can always buckshot their rears.

Eradicating these guys is what the Man thinks is the greater good. Oppose the Man, man.

The very fact that the 'powers-that-be' aren't aware of the badgers here is why I'm not shouting it about but once they got wind of it then 'bye-bye Brock' . I'm not some wild-eyed animal hugger so if the badgers were sick or carriers then I'd encourage their removal.....hey I'd do it myself ,all could be accomplished overnight with ....maybe I'd best not say how.

As I said mine are clean & despite the mess they make do no harm . When badgers move in most vermin in their vicinity move out.....I've seen just one rat in all my time here ,incredible when you think about it but true.

On other points ......

Mad Cow Disease: was probably introduced into the British cattle-herd by intensive feeding of the animals with contaminated mass-produced fodder. The fodder contained the remains of dead cattle . The company that made it still supplies a company you may have heard of...... Kelloggs .....with additives for their breakfast cereals.

Same company paid out $180 in 1984 to US Vietnam War veterans who were exposed to 'Agent Orange' with long-lasting physical effects.

Foot & Mouth Disease UK 2001 : I moved to my farm in Devon in the UK in May 2000 ,let the farm to a farmer ( I never pretend to be a farmer & never will,I just do everything but tend animals ) who subsequently grazed his cattle & sheep on my land.

The first case of F&M in 2001 was on the 19th Feb. in an abattoir UK & by the 24th Feb.the first recorded case of F&M was in Highampton,Devon. The farm in Highampton became effectively the epicentre for the F&M outbreak & every animal on my farm was shot through the head ,piled in a heap ,left to rot for a few days then subsequently burnt on a pyre . Blood samples from each animal subsequently proved that none of them were infected with F&M.

Highampton is about 3 miles from Bumblebee Barn ,Essworthy Farm .

What a happy time that was .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Rob, respect!

I've been following this story for years via 'Muckspreader' and 'New Muckspreader' in Private Eye. The Badger cull's been on the cards for donkeys, and one minute there's evidence to support the cull, the next the evidence is being discounted and around we go again. I've always been against a cull. To me inoculation is the key. Yeah it's expensive, but then so were the vast pyre's of cows that littered the countryside earlier this century. I'm assuming you supported the petition against the poll?

A somewhat similar thing happens here when certain conditions occur. Storms and/or floods push waters into wetlands. The creatures that inhabit those wetlands go for dry land and encouter people. Coyotes, bears, wild boar, & alligators, eat pets or scare little old ladies and they are summarily rounded up and shot. Not for the same reasons as your badgers, but very unnecessary all the same.

You are a smart guy Rob. Education is your best weapon. I'd say you are well armed.

I rarely get involved with anything 'official' especially when it comes from any government body .....I bin most everything that I'm not legally bound to reply to .....I'm therefore on record as being 'not on record' :biggrin:

Regards inoculation ,if an inoculation were available then I would figure it would be simpler to inoculate all the cows than all the badgers......trust me when I say that I'll grab a cow & control it... but you are on your own if you want to catch a badger . :thumbsup:

It's better than the disgusting practice in West Texas. They're killing off Antelope, endangered Mountain Lions and wild Donkeys (of which there are only 600) just to make room for Big Horn Sheep. Why? Because the state gets a $1,600 tax for every Big Horn Sheep hunted. So more sheep, more money. Screw with the local ecology, we get money for it!

Ugh.

I rarely get involved with anything 'official' especially when it comes from any government body .....I bin most everything that I'm not legally bound to reply to .....I'm therefore on record as being 'not on record' :biggrin:

Regards inoculation ,if an inoculation were available then I would figure it would be simpler to inoculate all the cows than all the badgers......trust me when I say that I'll grab a cow & control it... but you are on your own if you want to catch a badger . :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was referring to the cows. Not Bill, and his mates :D