UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

still no Christmas mates?

I really miss these guys. I wish we'd bet costume variations (like this!) instead of just random elf hats. But I still want more. Why are these so hard to get? What's with the general lack of promo mates all together lately? The Zombie Mate is about it for the last 3 years. :/

Didn't we just talk about these in the Q&A thread? We've batted some ideas around.

And we did pirate promo mates, too, which means our promo giveaways have increased exponentially of late -- if you mean UNIQUE promo mates, those are a tougher sell. Buttheadsmate voted against retailer promos -- anyone else feel strongly?

Edited by Zach Oat

I'd have to say that i am not a fan of Promos in general. Don't get me wrong. I love em . . . when i can get my hands on them.

But they don't often make their way down to this side of the globe (Australia).

Blanks i don't have strong feelings on either way & when it's something that isn't 'essential' to a collection like Gold or Silver or Santa Spiderman - then it's not such a big deal. But if it's a legitimate variant that has cropped up like Web-Armour SpiderMan or John Stewart Green Lantern, then i get worried. The idea of a variant that could be in many peoples wish-lists being released as a promotional exclusive makes me nervous.

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Nessex

Buttheadsmate voted against retailer promos -- anyone else feel strongly?

You'll realise soon that very few people take any notice of me .

In a perfect world promos,variants & exclusives might be the way to reward Con-goers,retailers & case-buyers but in my opinion & experience it doesn't work . I have travelled twice to SDCC from the UK with the sole intention of going to the Minimate booth ,meeting the guys from DST & hanging with guys who I've met on here ...let me emphasise that I cherish those moments. At my maiden Con I very quickly realised that many of the people waiting in line with me for a Minimate promo weren't even aware what they were queuing for .Two years later I was actively seeking help from complete strangers to wait in line with me to collect their promos & thence give them to me....I learn quickly & have little shame but am I proud of that ? Hell no but a man has to do what he has to,to collect Minimates .

Retailers exclusives : In principle.... great idea,reward your retailers . In practise ....I've seen ebay sellers touting Battle-Beasts promos as being available to 'Minimate retailers only' who have ebay-Feedback that displays that they've sold little more than washing-machine spares in the previous year......not encouraging & a bit of a slap in the face to proper retailers ,genuine collectors & ardent,fanatical completists. Please don't think that I or anyone else deserves any special right to have everything 'Minimate' produced in my humble collection but stumping up bigger & bigger bucks to do so is not the way forward ,leastways not for me.

Now the question is Christmas Mates ? Christmas Mates would be a great idea although strictly speaking we'll have to call them Holidaymates which takes the shine of them a tad but just call me old-fashioned ....'cause I am. Some of the Christmas-inspired customs I've seen here lately have all been well received & if we can have a Firefighter Spidey then surely a Christmas themed 'mate would sell quite well ......

.......or you could just give them away to die-hard MMMVers. :thumbsup:

Please could I have 2? :lol:

I really miss these guys. I wish we'd bet costume variations (like this!) instead of just random elf hats. But I still want more. Why are these so hard to get? What's with the general lack of promo mates all together lately? The Zombie Mate is about it for the last 3 years. :/

Didn't we just talk about these in the Q&A thread? We've batted some ideas around.

I totally missed that. Oops.

I will say that the Comics pro is one of the few that I'm still missing. But honestly, retailer or con exclusive, I don't care how they get out there. More minimates are always a good thing!

I totally missed that. Oops.

I will say that the Comics pro is one of the few that I'm still missing. But honestly, retailer or con exclusive, I don't care how they get out there. More minimates are always a good thing!

Didn't somebody here link to where you could buy the ComicsPRO mate a few months back?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I'd love to see seasonal minimates in the seasonal aisles at Target!

Single figures with accessories perhaps as stocking-stuffers? Even if they repeat each year with different accessories kinda like Playmobil does? Because Santa can't be limited to just one year of release! But singles with accessories would be the best way to get them under $5, especially as non-licensed mates. Maybe even small assortments each season? Think of all the cool compatable minimate accessories too! Make the main character always available and limit the supporting characters or make changes each year!

Christmas: Santa, Elves, Snowman, Mrs. Claus, Reindeer. (different elves/reindeer each year?)

Halloween: Ghosts, Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Devils, etc, etc, etc. (different designs each year - same mold, different ghost faces for example)

Easter: Easter Bunny

Maybe sprinkle in singles of established lines? SpiderMan for example with the poster included with the group shot of all the minimates ever made - that would be great marketing! Actually it'd be cool to see that in their "dollar" bins at the front of the store for around $3 each? (I say that because they sell stuff there from $1 to $3 or so)

Considering singles retail at $5... doubtful. A blind bagged thing would be neat. People are going NUTS over the legos. But Minimates aren't that well know. Just a fact of life. i doubt a picture of the line up on a blind bag will make any mother justify $5.

Considering singles retail at $5... doubtful. A blind bagged thing would be neat. People are going NUTS over the legos. But Minimates aren't that well know. Just a fact of life. i doubt a picture of the line up on a blind bag will make any mother justify $5.

Not a big fan of blind bags.

Plus, the whole point of this is *exposure*. Minimates aren't currently well known, but why can't that change? I say follow the Playmobil model, where you can see everything in the package and have it as an impulse-buy or stocking stuffer item and it will sell. Megablocks manage to sell, and they are not as well known and their quality isn't very high.

And I said include the poster *with*, meaning inside the package, so they can see what else they might want to track down. Not ON the package, that's just crazy! The poster works as a catalog, which I always loved looking at the mini catalogs that came packaged inside the toys of my youth.

Plus, where do you see singles for $5?