UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Lineup and Pic of the Heralds of Galactus Now Up

lastweaponmaster

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morg... looking back on my Silver Surfer issues to put together his bio, I almost have to think that he was one dimensional on purpose. As if he were designed to be a parady of the hyper-violent characters that were becoming more and more popular. And he must have been popular at the time, he's the only Herald Galactus is shown completely raising from the dead instead of moving on to another new Herald, a decision so out of character for Big G that smacked of being sales driven. He is very much a product of his time.

I voted for the four other Heralds just because I like their designs better and had a stronger connection to them. Since Zach says they are trying to get Lan and Kril out too, I could re-enact the 5 on 1 battle with Morg. All in all, a good thing.

I dunno, I think your first impression was correct, and that he was more just "the style of the times" then anything. Everybody was just churning out anti-heroes, or cool bad guys, or whatever they could do. They even turned Hulk Hogan! Granted, that wasn't comics....

I can't remember if he was created at the tail end of Jim Starlin's Surfer run, or by Ron Marz. If it's the former, I say parody; if it's the latter, probably just another attempt at a cool bad guy. Man, they were everywhere. Anyone remember Jack T. Chance? Anybody? No?

Edited by hellpop

I do have one question, I just realized it. If Frankie Raye is dead and we can get a 'mate of her, can someone ask Chuck why we can't get a Winter Soldier? Seems to me we have lots of dead characters as 'mates and that wasn't an issue then....

Kraven, Sabretooth, Gwen Stacy, the beat goes on....

Kraven got better, but your point is well taken. In fact, Mr. Barnes was not yet retconned back to life when his first mate was released.

P.S. Morg's dead too, so that's two long dead characters in one set.

I'm completely for dead characters getting made, I'm simply annoyed at what sounds like an excuse why Winter Soldier wasn't made. I think they missed out on the possibility of two strong waves for both Thor and Captain America, and had to come up with an excuse why this very important character hasn't been made and the best shot we had at getting him has passed. Just say you haven't gotten to him yet, don't dream up facile excuses when it takes two seconds to think of examples that contradict you.

Thanks for the info Miry. The only problem with reading about a character like that, is it feels very much like someone else telling you all their beloved childhood memories... I never experienced them, so they'll never mean quite as much. I really do hope that makes sense.

That said, like I mentioned before, these really are impressive looking mates, and can't see them looking anything but very impressive posed around the MAX statue along with the Surfer.

Also that Silver Surfer is useless for an Antman, Atom or Wasp custom without heavy rework.

I don't think anyone was planning on MiniMinimate SS being a QC Antman or Wasp. I'm mostly excited that this opens up the gateway for DST to design future miniminimates of such characters. EG: An Avengers set with Quicksilver, Ionic Wonderman, Tigra, & Hawkeye with little over-the-shoulder AntMan & Wasp accessories.

Aye, like Ness said. Though one man's 'heavy rework' is a simple 10minute modification to another!

I wonder how many boardies buy multiple sets just for that mini Surfer.

Thanks for the info Miry. The only problem with reading about a character like that, is it feels very much like someone else telling you all their beloved childhood memories... I never experienced them, so they'll never mean quite as much. I really do hope that makes sense.

It does. I'd be a liar if I didn't admit my mini bio's aren't influenced by the appearances I liked best, since those are the ones I remember the best. And I do have mad love for Byrne's run of FF. That said, I do try to hit the highlights of the folks I tell about (whether I thought it was a good story or not), and try to leave the reader with a sense of who the character is/was.

And yeah, I am alternately very complimentary and very critical of John Byrne as a writter. To me, when he's on his game there are few better, when he's off it's head scratchingly bad in that "What made you think this was remotely a good idea, John?" kinda way. And very little in between.

He looks *kind of* like Apocalypse under his helmet. I know Apocalypse has a connection to the Celestials. Does Galactus share some kind of link as well?

No. Galactus is actually older by far than the Celestials. And it's hard to say how Galactus actually "looks". It's been established that while Galactus is a physical being, and he does wear armor of his own creation to help regulate his tremendous energies, Galactus is so tremendously powerful that mortal minds have trouble perceiving him in total, so each being sees Galactus through their own perspectives. So humans see him as a human-like being, Skrulls see a giant Skrull, some beings even perceive Galactus as a pure energy being, some a giant tree-being, you get the idea. The reality is probably closer to the depiction in question, as his pre-Galactus form, Galen of Taa, has always been depicted as a human-like being.

I too hope that they give Big G that look under the helmet.

He looks *kind of* like Apocalypse under his helmet. I know Apocalypse has a connection to the Celestials. Does Galactus share some kind of link as well?

No. Galactus is actually older by far than the Celestials. And it's hard to say how Galactus actually "looks". It's been established that while Galactus is a physical being, and he does wear armor of his own creation to help regulate his tremendous energies, Galactus is so tremendously powerful that mortal minds have trouble perceiving him in total, so each being sees Galactus through their own perspectives. So humans see him as a human-like being, Skrulls see a giant Skrull, some beings even perceive Galactus as a pure energy being, some a giant tree-being, you get the idea. The reality is probably closer to the depiction in question, as his pre-Galactus form, Galen of Taa, has always been depicted as a human-like being.

Seriously, we need a thread called Ask Mirymate. I am certain his knowledge of Marvel bests many current Marvel writers.

Heck, Miry could have a whole subforum to himself. But I consider this thread the unofficial "Ask Miry About Marvel" thread.

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=10194

What did non-powered human Galactus look like?

Don't remember. Couldn't find it on Google so I wasn't sure if it happened. I thought he was just a bald dude. Nothing spectacular about him.

I keep thinking of uses for Morg, I'm think TNG Klingon?

so in the film Rise of the Silver Surfer I could only perceive him as giant cloud! And not as he is in the comics!!!

Makes sense, damn these mortal eyes!!

Galan was just a balding, out of shape human. His hair did this weird trident-like pattern with the points over each ear, and one as a widows peak. And yes, Reed did briefly transform Galactus back into Galan temporarily.

And yeah, wb, that's the explanation I prefer for Rise of the Silver Surfer. The other one is that the director/Fox chickened out and decided the real Galactus was too hokey to be taken seriously.

And I appreciate the kind words fellas.

I'm pretty sure Galactus looked like Wilford Brimley when he was in human form, but I could be wrong.

Ha ha Wilford Brimley.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-_jhPobIdTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGg-1YqsPlU

Edited by Scorpion