UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Paypal rant...

groundhog7s

I recently received an e-mail from Paypal that they were holding some of my funds. They said that someone who bought something from me back in July on eBay is now claiming that they didn't authorize the credit card charge and since the credit card company is asking for a chargeback, Paypal is holding my funds until it's resolved. I have tracking info showing it being delivered to their address that's confirmed by Paypal and see where they purchased several other Minimate auctions since then (including one auction from a certain Dr. that is a prominent member here). I suppose I could go for the obvious rant here about how much this is crap since even if it was an unauthorized use of their card, how was I supposed to know it, but I won't . Want I'd like to know is if this has happened to anyone else here. I've had disputes against me (several times sadly), but never a chargeback issue. I'd love to think common sense would say I'll get my money back, but I know common sense and Paypal aren't compatible. Does anyone else know how this works?

I've never had a charge back. I've had funds held, but I always worked through it. What I did was have all my evidence together, all the records and everything, and then call them. Talk to a human being. Walk them through it step by step. What REALLY gets their attention is make a youtube video, with all your evidence. Therefore it is all in one place where they can actually see it, and also there's the tacit threat that it could turn into bad publicity if they don't fix it, because you're possibly attacking them, not another person.

Hope that helps.

Don't you try to weasel your way out of this. You will give me my money back!

Seriously though, I've been fortunate enough to not have this happen to me (yet!), but have read that sometimes giving them a call and laying out all the evidence you have will be enough for Paypal to help you resolve your issues. . .sometimes.

Also, do you have a merchant account? I hear that helps significantly reduce the BS issues folks run into with Paypal. Pretty sure I have one. (edit: correction, I have the "Premier" account type)

Edited by karamazov80

Paypal ....what can you say ? Talk to them on the phone? Best o'luck with that.

Send Paypal a recorded letter with all the details & copies of any relevant document & wait ..... again best o'luck but at least the wheels are in motion. I guess you knew all of that but it sometimes helps to be told how intransigent dangerous 'the monster known as Paypal' truly is & that most of us are aware of it.

Go back to first base ...the buyer, if he's a member here he must have some sort of decency ,try to get some idea of his issues ? Maybe he can sort things out before things get f*cking silly .

sadly if the buyer has already set these wheels in motion there is no one to deal with but paypal. If you have enough to back up your claim that the item was sent to the same billing addy as the credit card used chances are slim but there that paypal will see things your way. I've had charges returned to me but it was made clear it would not be a regular thing for paypal or ebay to do. ebay and its function sites are set heavily in favor of the buyer as far as "buyer satisfaction"

Thanks for all the advice.

I guess one thing that bothered me about some of this is that I had to provide Paypal with the tracking info I had. When I loggged in and went to the page to do that, the tracking number was already filled in, meaning they already had all the info needed to dispute this with the credit card company. :rolleyes: It's not like that was a big deal, but it set the tone for how hard they are going to try and help their sellers (like every other time I've had to deal with them).

Edited by groundhog7s

Well, past customer of mine or not, he/she won't be a future customer.

The Paypal/eBay monolith acts with impunity because of their de facto monopoloy over online auctioning and online payment systems. And that sucks big time. They can do whatever they want to you, and what recourse do you have? All you can do is bend over and take it, because refusing to deal with Paypal equates to refusing to do business online.

Thanks GH! :thumbsup:

I hope it works out for you, but you are right, it should be PayPal's responsibility to protect the seller.

I had a bidder send me a message 3 months after I shipped an item, claiming that he never received it. I had to dig up my postal receipts, but I finally found his Delivery Confirmation number and verified it was delivered 3 days after I shipped it.

I emailed that info to him, and told him to let me know if he needs anything else, but I never heard back.

I think there are some bidders that know they can manipulate eBay/PayPal by waiting to file a claim at the last minute, hoping the seller didn't keep their shipping records for proof.

It sucks, but anytime I sell something now, I have to assume the person I sold it to is 'out to get me'.