UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dremel Advice

Nessex

It is coming up to Fathers Day in Australia & some online retailers are offering discounts and sales on all sorts of power tools.

One tool that has caught my eye is the Dremel. i've heard customisers talk about using it & it looks like it'd be perfect for cutting, sanding, drill, re-shaping minimates.

Does anyone have any advice on what to buy & how much to spend?

I have found several listings for the Dremel300 on eBay for around the $100 mark. This One is going for $80!

Are there any concerns i should be aware of before buying? Will it be powerful enough? Will it be too powerful?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :thumbsup:

The $80 model looks fine. Dremels are handy for a lot of things, but if you are just looking for a customizing tool that one will do the job. I've used a dremel for customs before, not mates yet but still. My advice- go slow,get used to it cause it's real easy to take off more than you meant to. And wear safety goggles, high speed plastic bits hurt when they hit your eye. Trust me.

Edited by Mirymate

My hardware store carries a knock-off brand for $50 with a connector that will fit any dremel bit. That is the one I use. But I can't seem to find it online. Otherwise the model in your link is a great dremel tool for minimates. Everything Miry said about safety is absolutely correct. Also, if you don't have some, you might want to invest in some small hand clamps to hold the minimates while you are working on them, since otherwise you are usually working less than an inch away from the dremel tip.

I would offer 2 bits of advice on a dremel, make sure you get one with a variable speed option (I imagine this is standard on a brand name dremel) and second the flexible extension shaft offered by dremel is a god send when doing fine work.

oh and, practice, practice, practice.

I would offer 2 bits of advice on a dremel, make sure you get one with a variable speed option (I imagine this is standard on a brand name dremel) and second the flexible extension shaft offered by dremel is a god send when doing fine work.

oh and, practice, practice, practice.

Indeed, forgot to mention the Variable speed!!

Awesome. thanks for all the tips guys. your advice is much appreciated :)

It's awesome to have such a wealth of knowledge available on this board.

i'm visiting my mum who works in a hardware store this weekend, so I'll let you know what i go with very shortly.

Edited by Nessex