UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Kubricks!

A.J.V.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I haven't been paying too much attention to the eBay listings or talk on other forums, but I haven't seen too much after the Star Wars rehashes we got and those Iron Man 2 figures awhile back.

Hardly any Kubricks announced any time in the recent past apparently. Look at this:

http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/

Be@rbricks everywhere, and just a handful of exclusive Star Wars Kubs. Kubrick Nation doesn't seem to exist, as I can't get to the discussion forum. Speculation on Jedi Defender is that they might be killing even their former golden goose:

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22606.0

Edited by karamazov80

Sweet. Because there are a couple of very pricey ones I'm interested. Maybe they'll drop down into my price range. (Is that too ghoulish? Too soon?) smile.png

How could you? sad.png

Truthfully, I was looking back at the huge Kubrick thread earlier (that was essentially a long ass conversation between myself and BHM :D ), and got a bit sad at the prospect of no more Kubricks. Oh, well.

Some ol' American bloke once said "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated " ....... the kubrick's demise is far from certain but I can easily cite the reasons for their decline .

"You can fool some of the people all of the time & all of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time"

- attributed to another ol' American bloke

............would sum it up nicely.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Yeah, I think there is something to that. When you're talking about a niche market that has been interested in the specialness and collectibility of these things for years, and you start down a path of primarily rehashes and rereleases--particularly rereleases of the 1/96 chases as commonly available figures--then you're taking a gamble. You risk turning off your existing customer base in the hopes of attracting new collectors who don't care about the collectibility component so much. I guess that gamble didn't pay off in a world where folks have so many other options when it comes to both action figures and collectible toys.

On another front, I wonder how much longer the Real Action Heroes line can continue in a world where more and more collectors are developing an expectation for realism and quality over uniformity to older figures?

Edited by karamazov80

I still know a lot of people who are rabid for Star Wars Kubricks, but I think the re-releases have done serious damage. I think Medicom does a good job with them. They are unique and artfully done, but every dog has his day...

With Star Wars, it seems that all they've done for the last couple of years have been con exclusives (which are usually rereleases or minor repaints) and those "DX" sets, which are primarily rehashes apart from the 2 new characters per wave or so and the BAFs, so I guess Medicom felt they had milked that cow about as well as they could.

Edited by karamazov80

I think they are OK, I just don't think they are anything really special. Jabba was a great idea IMO, but the others are less essential and could be passed on by collectors I think. You're asking around $80-100 for the basic set of 6 3" figures (mostly rehashes) plus a non-essential BAF, and I think at some point collectors balk at that. I like the updated figures, but not enough to have anything past wave 2. And I'm an OT fan. Maybe if Medicom moved away from the box of 12 figures idea, put the chases idea aside, and just sold complete sets for a more reasonable price (like, $40-50) it would be more bearable from my perspective.

Edited by karamazov80

Apart from a couple of 400% items I was up to speed with everything in the Star Wars series including the carded 'Kenner style' promos but when the DX3 series chase secrets went off the scale I made a decision that I've never really regretted ....I didn't buy the secrets. Then escalated into not buying anything from DX4 at all ......I will eventually pick up the basic set but I'm in no hurry.

That decision was extremely hard because I'm an ingrained completist with everything I've collected but I choose lines that aren't ridiculously & insanely expensive .....SW kubricks were never cheap but at one time I could stomach $150 for a 1:96 but when the DX3 & DX4 series arrived they jumped to somewhere between $3-600 .......I'm daft but not that bloody daft. Having collected them for some years I also felt that the re-sellers were acting like a cartel ,inflating the prices & holding back on the availability of secret figures. Paranoia ? Perhaps but when you've experienced the re-release of many other once elusive & expensive chase/secrets at a fraction of the original cost then you get a bit wary .

Suddenly, for example, this seller finds 3 of a figure that was once non-existent a year or so back http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medicom-Star-Wars-Kubrick-DX-4-Chase-SECRET-R2-Q5-/221184390585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337f9df5b9

.....whilst this seller still hangs out for the big bucks http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-KUBRICK-DX-4-HIDDEN-SECRET-R2-Q5-DX04-CHASE-1P-/251219527085?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3a7dd9c5ad

I get tempted at times but bollocks to them I'm not playing anymore.

A very quick scan shows the cheapest R2-D2 to be the DX Jabba's Barge version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubrick-Medicom-Toy-Star-Wars-R2-D2-Jabbas-Sail-Barge-DX-1-/330775536191?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item4d03c2223f

The drink tray obviously detaches, my question is: does the silver spritzer gadget on the top of his head also come off? So one could have a plain-Jane R2?

Mine is in storage, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think it does. Looks like the part that pops off the top of his head is sculpted in the position it is in. So, if you removed it I'm guessing there would just be a hole there. You could probably modify it so it would look OK if you have some rudimentary custom skills.

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE STAR WARS KUBRICKS! I've got Kubricks from quite a few different lines, but the Star Wats ones are the best!

I'd love to get that Hammer Head (Momaw Nadon) from the Landspeeder series, just 'cos I love the character and original toy,

but the price for him is INSANE!